Options

Replies

• 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love this!! Thank you for posting!
  • ALittleLikeHell
    Options
    Your right off course, it's so wierd how now peeps cant spell to. It's there own fault for been dumb :huh: :laugh:

Hahaha, now that I've had my fun, GRAMMAR (and Spelling) Nerds Unite!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Canada grants citizenship to geese? I have a friend who lives in London. His citizenship is from Canada, so he's Canadian. Where a goose is "from" is irrelevant since geese migrate. If Canada grants them citizenship, they are "Canadian geese." Do you see the difference?

There are no Canadian geese.

I read #6 differently. Nowhere did it say whom was archaic, they said not to use whom to sound smarter. I took the old English following it to mean that words like whilst are often also used in an effort to sound more intelligent. They did not say to never use whom, which absolutely is the objective case of who, but not to use it to sound smart.

Animals that are from an area are often - and correctly - given that area as an adjective. It is no more wrong to call a goose that primarily lives in Canada Canadian than it is to call a man who lives in Alabama a southerner. Both are correct uses of the adjectives.

As for whom, it wouldn't be difficult to extrapolate "never use whom" out of the statement given, especially with the archaic English provided as an example. We'll have to agree to disagree on the writer's intent since we appear to have read different meanings into the statement.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Canadian geese too, because I don't believe Canadian is equivalent to southerner. Southerner isn't an adjective, for one thing; it's a noun. Canadian can be both a noun and an adjective, and just as I describe my friend as a Canadian and not a Canadian human, the geese would simply be Canadians, not Canadian geese.

And I see whom misused far more often than it's correctly used, and always to appear more knowledgeable.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    There's no group on the internet that I dislike more than the grammar-nazis. Wow, you corrected someone's grammar on the internet, you must be really super smart!

My absolute favorite is seeing all of the awkwardly worded posts sprinkled with whom's, whilst's and thus's that just don't quite fit...
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    There's no group on the internet that I dislike more than the grammar-nazis. Wow, you corrected someone's grammar on the internet, you must be really super smart!

My absolute favorite is seeing all of the awkwardly worded posts sprinkled with whom's, whilst's and thus's that just don't quite fit...
    We love you too. Friend request sent.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Did not know #4! :embarassed: :laugh:
    I am as shocked as you!
    Canada Geese, however, do exist.

Canadian Geese exist, too. Any goose from Canada is a Canadian Goose. However, the Canada Goose is a specific type of goose, and therefore isn't Canadian unless it's from Canada. See the difference?

Also, number six is dead wrong. "Whom" is an object and should always be used as such. Using it is NOT archaic, although it's a bit ignorant to be used as a pronoun.

Grammar nazis FTW!

Canadian Geese is true because 'geese' is not plural for goose. So there you have it.
  • Fannyannefeisty
    Options
    Grammer and spelling, for all intensive purposes, are important life skills with no acceptions to the rule, even though we are here to loose alot of weight we should still take it into consternation.

Funny! "For all intensive purposes" is one of my pet peeves, along with "should of"/"could of." What do those even mean?
    :laugh: Intents and Purposes

Personally, one of my biggest pet peeves is "irregardless" It makes my eye twitch!

My favourite is pacifically instead of specifically. Makes me chuckle every time!
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I tend to scrutinize the grammar and spelling in books. When I was in college, we had to read a book about photographic lighting. It had the most spelling and grammar mistakes I have ever seen in a published text. I don't care so much about people's spelling on the internet. Grammar still drives me nuts, though.

two, too, to
    their, they're, there
    know, no
    you're, your
    its, it's

... and ESPECIALLY on this site... LOOSE when they mean LOSE
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Grammer and spelling, for all intensive purposes, are important life skills with no acceptions to the rule, even though we are here to loose alot of weight we should still take it into consternation.

Funny! "For all intensive purposes" is one of my pet peeves, along with "should of"/"could of." What do those even mean?

Personally, one of my biggest pet peeves is "irregardless" It makes my eye twitch!

My favourite is pacifically instead of specifically. Makes me chuckle every time!

Pacifically? lol. I have never heard anyone SERIOUSLY say that.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have problems with the word "purposely". I know it's totally valid, but it sounds clumsy, "deliberately" is much clearer. "Purposefully" is a different matter altogether.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Loose weight....DISGUSTING!. I would much prefer to LOSE weight.

To/too
    Toneing
    It/it's
    Must of
    Aight/alright
    Nite
    Use to

Living in Louisiana 10 years, and being told "yall don speak English", drove me NUTS!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    LOL I get irritated with it too! And I don't know why, because I know correct grammar is difficult for many people but it just bothers me. Especially when people don't know the difference between their, they're, and there. They should have NEVER graduated.

Well not if their degree was in English perhaps
    WOW what a moron! Just because someone cannot speak English properly doesn't mean he/she isn't entitled to a college degree. Not all people are native English speakers (like myself). At least me & others are either bilingual or trilingual & can read, write & speak in 2,3,4 etc. languages, what about you? English only, huh? Seriously I don't even see anything special in your language that everyone needs to be "perfect" at it?

EDIT: and there are actually more native Spanish speakers in this planet than English & yet we don't make it a deal if people cannot speak Spanish properly

English is special, (as is French, Italian and most of the old World languages), and not simply a means to an end. Speakers of English as a second/third language are entitled to make mistakes - but if English is your native tongue and you speak no other, then to not care if you use it correctly is ignorant and lazy.

Btw - :tongue: it's on this planet - most of us live on the surface.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options

Pacifically? lol. I have never heard anyone SERIOUSLY say that.

My husband once heard someone say, in all seriousness, "pacific haddock" instead of "specific ad hoc". He nearly collapsed!
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I love this! It took me till halfway through it before I realized you were "funnin".
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

PLEASE say you wrote this in jest?!!!

???i wrote it in Internet Explorer

Classic case of someone TRYING their hardest to come off intelligent but only comes off as the pretentious fake they truly are

No trollbacks.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I almost cried last night as I was reading a blog written by a teacher. This particular entry was about organizing the classroom and your desk. She was talking about filing papers so they don't become misplaced and how she keeps hers organized. Then I read "this way you don't loose your papers." I, of course, then go off on a tangent to my husband about this person using loose instead of lose and what the proper use of each one is. My rant ended with "this person should not be a teacher."
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I almost cried last night as I was reading a blog written by a teacher. This particular entry was about organizing the classroom and your desk. She was talking about filing papers so they don't become misplaced and how she keeps hers organized. Then I read "this way you don't loose your papers." I, of course, then go off on a tangent to my husband about this person using loose instead of lose and what the proper use of each one is. My rant ended with "this person should not be a teacher."

Well, you could loose your papers. In the same sense that you 'loose an arrow.'
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Well, you could loose your papers. In the same sense that you 'loose an arrow.'

Touché!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Hooray for this forum! Thank you for sharing that article!
    I just had a rant on my page about people not knowing the difference between you're and your, and they're, their and there. And why must people feel the need to put an apostrophe every single time the use an "s" at the end of a word!? GRRRRR!
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Grammar is not dead. Not as long as I'm around.