Vegetarians - why?

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Please do not get offended anybody, but i think it is very unnatural for someone to not eat meat. think about cavemen, they ate meat all their lives, they needed it to survive. they did not eat any grains either. Sure it saves you from the fat, and maybe a heart attack being a vegetarian, but if you eat lean cuts of meat, its even better for your health. Sure they are adorable, but you need meat to survive, or at least be as healthy as can be. I was a vegetarian for a VERY short time, because i joined PETA. sure it kills animals, but you are never 100% vegetarian, because think of all the flies a year that you eat in your sleep... I think its really cool when people are vegetarians, its just not for me, because i love meat too much.

please nobody get offended, this is just my opinion.

*edited to fix a spell error*

I'm not offended:).....but what if you don't like the taste?!?!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You'd eat any tofu recipe I made and you would ask for seconds.

I wouldn't....it would put me in the hospital severe soy allergy :sad:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I SWEAR I saw this thread last week....
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    People think I'm crazy because I won't eat white foods. To each his own. I don't care what anyone else eats. It's their body they can put in it what they want
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    However, I just don't get it, and never will.

So why?

If you don't get it and never will, why are you asking why?
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    You'd eat any tofu recipe I made and you would ask for seconds.

This. Even my meat-eating husband adores my beer-breaded tofu. And that's only one example. :-)

As to why, it's because all my research and my gut feeling and the looks and diseases and overweight of people who chow down the meat constantly have convinced me. Do whatever you want. I don't preach. I don't have to. If my absolutely marvelous health, stamina, energy, positive outlook and MUSCLES don't win any converts, then nothing I can say would either.

Oh, and also so I don't have to pick user names like "Big Mama Rebecca". :bigsmile: :wink:
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Since when did asking "why" become sooo offensive?!
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but its not my intention.

Yes it is.

That is not really fair. How can someone ask for clarification on a stance if the people with the answers immediately take this stance?
    I think it is perfectly fair, when people start any kind of statement with " I'm not a ...... but…."
    What they are really saying is “I know I’m a..... But I'm going to say/act like one anyway”
    Be it a troll or a bigot or a racist or just a ****. They know in advance the rise they will get when they say what they say, and get a perverse joy from the attention.

That's exactly how I started my quote, but I have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Again, to each his own.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    tofu leads to man boobies.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 9 years, and honestly, it really comes down to taste preferences for me. I don't like how meat tastes. I don't like how it smells, and I don't like how it feels (either when I'm eating it or when it's sitting in my stomach). I also get creeped out at the thought of eating muscles when I myself am made of muscles. It's just too close for my liking.

^ This. I've just never really had a taste for meat...
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    Please do not get offended anybody, but i think it is very unnatural for someone to not eat meat. think about cavemen, they ate meat all their lives, they needed it to survive. they did not eat any grains either. Sure it saves you from the fat, and maybe a heart attack being a vegetarian, but if you eat lean cuts of meat, its even better for your health. Sure they are adorable, but you need meat to survive, or at least be as healthy as can be. I was a vegetarian for a VERY short time, because i joined PETA. sure it kills animals, but you are never 100% vegetarian, because think of all the flies a year that you eat in your sleep... I think its really cool when people are vegetarians, its just not for me, because i love meat too much.

please nobody get offended, this is just my opinion.

*edited to fix a spell error*

Eh, my thought is that we don't do anything natural anymore anyway, so I don't particularly mind bucking that one evolutionary trend. As it is, we stay up way too late using artificial lights, we sit down far more than is good for us, we eat and drink stuff with no nutritional value, we wear clothing made of plastics and petroleum. If we want to go down the "it isn't natural" road, we would be walking it for a loooong time.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A good, scientific based explanation for adopting a plant based diet can be found in the documentary "Forks Over Knives". It is a non political documentary based on the research of a physician and nutrition expert. It changed the way that I think about food.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The real question is why not? Humans don't need animal products to survive - in fact, we can thrive without them. Eating meat is unnecessary killing, and there are tons and tons of delicious meat-free recipes that don't even have a speck of tofu in them :)
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I simply feel better. I hardly ever get bloated or have stomach pains anymore. Also, I just feel better about knowing that a living creature didn't have to die for me to have a meal. It's my choice, and I don't really care if others chose to eat meat. I know it's not a lifestyle for everyone. Actually, it was a choice I battled with from the time I was small child so I get how hard it is. It really just boils down to each individual...I always say "do what makes you happy."
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I eat meat but wouldn't want someone to bash me for it, therefore, I'm not going to bash vegetarians for not eating meat. What works for me isn't going to work for everyone else.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ice cream.

Fact.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    You are what you eat. I eat bacon.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I eat meat but wouldn't want someone to bash me for it, therefore, I'm not going to bash vegetarians for not eating meat. What works for me isn't going to work for everyone else.

Exactly. Thank you!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

With all due respect, what does this have to do with the thread?
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

So...you're a cooked piece of dead animal flesh? Wow, I hope you don't use that for a pick-up line. :laugh: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.