Vegetarians - why?

Options

Replies

• babes_mom
    babes_mom Posts: 3
    Options
    I know a few vegetarians and their reason for not eating meat is the fact that they don't think it's right to kill animals for food when you can get all the nutrients you need from plants.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    However, I just don't get it, and never will.

So why?

If you don't get it and never will, why are you asking why?

Excellent point.
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm an omnivore so I'll eat whatever's on my plate... so long as it fits into my calories. Ah well, more meat for me!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat. I eat bacon.

So...you're a cooked piece of dead animal flesh? Wow, I hope you don't use that for a pick-up line. :laugh: :laugh:

See this is what gets me- when people say "dead animal flesh" or "carcus". Like people who eat meat a bad or animals (which we are- I mean in a derogatory way). Bashing us for being meat eaters. Which by the way I am craving steak so bad right now !
  • I agree 100 percent with rhichi. I have been a vegetarian for three years and it isn't because I am all crazy about not killing animals. I do believe that some animals are meant to be killed and eaten but personally I do not like the taste,texture, or after feling I get when eating meat. I feel much lighter and healthy without it.
  • cheekybooty
    cheekybooty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been eating vegan for a year now, and I 1) need less sleep, 2) need less food, 3) have more energy, and 4) feel 10 years younger. My body thrives this way.

And yeah, I know not everyone would feel this way. And, in fact, I wasn't interested in being vegan. Last year I went on a camping trip where I accidentally ate (raw) vegan for 5 days, and once I realized what had brought on such an amazing change, I never looked back.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You'd eat any tofu recipe I made and you would ask for seconds.

This. Even my meat-eating husband adores my beer-breaded tofu. And that's only one example. :-)

As to why, it's because all my research and my gut feeling and the looks and diseases and overweight of people who chow down the meat constantly have convinced me. Do whatever you want. I don't preach. I don't have to. If my absolutely marvelous health, stamina, energy, positive outlook and MUSCLES don't win any converts, then nothing I can say would either.

Oh, and also so I don't have to pick user names like "Big Mama Rebecca". :bigsmile: :wink:

Haha...I chow down on meat pretty much constantly...does my "look" convince you?

But in all seriousness...I'll never understand why people do it, I personally couldn't...but at the same time I really don't care why people do it...or don't do it for that matter.

I do get a little offended with blanket statements like the above though. Not everyone who eats meat is diseased and overweight....I'm not! I'm healthy as a horse, feel great, and LOVE meat! :)

I know many vegetrians that are over weight. All they eat is cheese and eggs.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am trying to convert to vegetarianism for health purposes mostly. I have friends who don't eat meat because they don't want to contribute to animal killing. I have friends who simply don't like the taste of meat. I don't want to eat meat anymore because of the hormones, antibiotics, and corn products they pump into animals. I don't want that crap in my body. I understand I could eat grass-fed beef and antibiotic-free chicken, but I don't have the money to buy those products. Becoming vegetarian is just the cheaper and healthier option for me.

With this being said, I would never try to convince other people to eat the way I eat. It'sreally none of my concern what you choose to put into your body.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

So...you're a cooked piece of dead animal flesh? Wow, I hope you don't use that for a pick-up line. :laugh: :laugh:

See this is what gets me- when people say "dead animal flesh" or "carcus". Like people who eat meat a bad or animals (which we are- I mean in a derogatory way). Bashing us for being meat eaters. Which by the way I am craving steak so bad right now !

Calling meat what it is isn't bashing anyone, it's just fact. Just because it's "beef" or "steak" doesn't mean it's not dead cow.
  • dyskras
    dyskras Posts: 54
    Options
    (To a general You - not you specifically)

Why not? I don't comment about your food and the impact it has on your body. . Why is it necessary for someone to comment on mine? I don't want to eat something. You don't like every food put in front of you, do you? To each their own. I hated beets all my life - even when I ate meat. Should I be mocked for that?

I went from vegetarian to vegan and I've never been happier. I have less health problems and I don't feel guilty after I eat. I am a pet lover and knowing that the cow/chickens I played with at my grandparents was going to be dinner next week never sat well with me.

It means that when I call myself an animal lover - that I'm not made into a hypocrite when I eat.

There are tons of reasons to be vegetarian/vegan . . Environmental, physical, financial (As long as you don't live off of over processed crap. I have found my grocery bill to be much smaller).

I also like it for some stupid reasons. It minimizes the chances I'll eat out, eat random food at work/parties. It means I'm smarter about what I eat in general because I know everything that is going into my body instead of just nutritional info on a label. It removes a lot of temptation for me.

Am I saying that people that eat meat/dairy are bad? Not at all. It's a personal choice. I don't care what they eat as long as they don't dump it on my plate. Just like I don't think people should care about what I eat. If something I make is vegan (cupcakes, pasta salads, cakes, fudge) I let people know so they can make that choice. Everyone always says yes and no one says it tastes 'vegan' just that it tastes 'good'. . It has opened up their minds to other possibilities. Did I lecture? Nope. I just said 'Hey. I have brownies. They are vegan - just in case you don't want to eat that' That simple. If they went 'eww' - I would've shrugged and moved on. It's not my place to lecture or mock - there is no reason to lecture or mock.

Personally - it just works for me and it makes me happier. Isn't that all that matters?

/end rambling.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ice cream.

Fact.

Now this is offensive - not even caramel toffee ice cream, strawberry, or bacon ice cream?

Nope. Just to really torque your chonies, I also don't eat cake, cookies, pie or candy :blushing:
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I choose not too for many reasons, animal cruelty/welfare, my health, the environment, cost, the amount of grain and water and energy needed to produce it, and like being creative with recipes and trying new foods that are vegan, which i aiming to become by the end of the year.

this article was published yesterday:
    http://www.guardian .co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2012/jun/20/would-you-eat-less-meat-to-save-planet?fb=native
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

This. Even my meat-eating husband adores my beer-breaded tofu. And that's only one example. :-)

As to why, it's because all my research and my gut feeling and the looks and diseases and overweight of people who chow down the meat constantly have convinced me. Do whatever you want. I don't preach. I don't have to. If my absolutely marvelous health, stamina, energy, positive outlook and MUSCLES don't win any converts, then nothing I can say would either.

Oh, and also so I don't have to pick user names like "Big Mama Rebecca". :bigsmile: :wink:

Haha...I chow down on meat pretty much constantly...does my "look" convince you?

But in all seriousness...I'll never understand why people do it, I personally couldn't...but at the same time I really don't care why people do it...or don't do it for that matter.

I do get a little offended with blanket statements like the above though. Not everyone who eats meat is diseased and overweight....I'm not! I'm healthy as a horse, feel great, and LOVE meat! :)

Don't take it personal. I know there are people who appear to be healthy who eat meat. I just happen to think it will kick their *kitten* down the road. The fat that is contained in even lean red meat and chicken ups your bad cholesterol and triglycerides and over time, that accumulates as plaque in your arteries. So even if you feel healthy now, watch out. But by all means, have at it. I started for health reasons, but along the way fell more in love with animals the more respect I showed them by not supporting their murders and now that's another reason I don't eat their flesh. It isn't a blanket statement from my perspective, it's a difference of opinion.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    However, I just don't get it, and never will.

So why?

If you don't get it and never will, why are you asking why?

Same reason people who post this always come back to the answers given with more statements of "I don't get it... it's ______". It's soft-trolling. They are looking to start something but doing it in what they think is a subtle way.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

carcass: : a dead body : corpse; especially : the dressed body of a meat animal

flesh: : the soft parts of the body of an animal and especially of a vertebrate; especially : the parts composed chiefly of skeletal muscle as distinguished from visceral structures, bone, and integuments

dead: deprived of life : having died

It is what you're eating, there's no exaggeration there. Why does it bother you?
  • rjain6
    rjain6 Posts: 3
    Options
    A good, scientific based explanation for adopting a plant based diet can be found in the documentary "Forks Over Knives". It is a non political documentary based on the research of a physician and nutrition expert. It changed the way that I think about food.

Thats a very good documentary. In addition, the bestselling book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Amazing-Nutrient-Rich-Sustained/dp/031612091X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0) - Eat to Live gives detailed, scientific and incredibly well-researched arguments for being vegetarian. I also agree that there are tons and tons of recipes and foods which are non-tofu based and are still protein-rich and tasty.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating all meat 37 years ago. The main reason being that I just hated the thought of eating flesh. Yes, I love animals too - but it really is the thought of chewing any kind of flesh that is just abhorrent to me. I still cook it for my husband and always gave my three children the choice when they were growing up. Each to their own.,
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking why? Is it because you're unable to understand it or come up with a single good reason why someone would be a vegetarian? Or are you simply curious about what an individual vegatarian's reasons are for not eating meat? If it's the former I can see why the person would be defensive. It sounds like you're coming across as closed-minded and judgemental.

If it is indeed genuine curiosity, maybe you need to broach the question differently. Instead of asking "why?" ask them: "Are you doing it for health reasons? For environmental? Do you have a moral objection ot eating meat or is it just something you don't like?" Being more specific shows you're somewhat educated about the subject and have considered the possible advantages of a meat-free diet, even if you don't agree with them all and it's a diet you don't want to adopt personally. No one would find that offensive.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I see lots of people jumping the OP and no one giving a reason. Given that's exactly what the OP says always happens, I wish I could find it ironic, but it's exactly what I was expecting, too.
    Because this subject has been done to death in recent forum topics. There have been some very interesting discussions going on elsewhere - why rehash them here? If he was really interested in why vegans/vegetarians eat the way they do, he'd check out the other forum posts instead of insisting that we justify ourselves to him. Seriously, it gets old and annoying after awhile.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Don't take it personal. I know there are people who appear to be healthy who eat meat. I just happen to think it will kick their *kitten* down the road. The fat that is contained in even lean red meat and chicken ups your bad cholesterol and triglycerides and over time, that accumulates as plaque in your arteries. So even if you feel healthy now, watch out. But by all means, have at it. I started for health reasons, but along the way fell more in love with animals the more respect I showed them by not supporting their murders and now that's another reason I don't eat their flesh. It isn't a blanket statement from my perspective, it's a difference of opinion.

I don't take it personal. But how do you explain people (like my grandparents) who are pushing 90 and are still active and healthy? They've eaten meat all their life! Again, I don't take it personal...I guess we've just seen different examples of meat and non-meat eaters in our lives.
This discussion has been closed.