Vegetarians - why?

Options

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I was vegan as a child (because my Mom was vegan). At first she was just vegterian. Her reasons were the inhumane way they slaughtered the cattle and that it made her feel bad after she ate it. Once I came along and was allergic to dairy and eggs we became vegan. I didn't know anything better growing up. In fact I had never been to a fast food resturant until I was 16.

As an adult I eat everything. I like chicken and beef and they don't bother me. Milk and eggs still do though so I skip those food items most of the time.

Hope I answered your question.

I find it ironic how many people jumped your case just like you said they would. LOL
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to try and convert people to become vegetarians or meat eaters? Every time I am aware of the fact that someone is a veg. it is because they feel the need to be convinced otherwise. (or vice versa) Why not just eat your vegetables or your meat and not worry about what other people are eating. You made a lifestyle choice, good for you. Now leave me to eat my lifestyle choice in peace.

The issue here is that the "lifestyle choice" of eating meat assumes that there is no "other", and that it doesn't only affect the person making the lifestyle choice - it involves the taking of another life. Aggressive activism definitely alienates people on both sides, and there are definitely more positive, peaceful ways to share beliefs than shoving them down others' throats, but the fact of the matter is that some people feel that they cannot simply stand by and watch injustice happen.

You are still taking another life when eating plants. They just aren't as cute.

This is a valid point, it is taking a life. But it's viewed differently to take the life of a sentient creature with a brain and nervous system as opposed to pulling a carrot out of the ground. Sure taking a plant's life is still taking a life, but animals have brains and nervous systems. They have the known capacity to suffer.

Plants fight for survival, avoid things that harm them, and react to external stimuli. While it does not have a nervous system (technically) it does have something that serves the same purpose.

Also, cows never see the bolt gun coming.

Heliotropism and other plant adaptations to their environment isn't proof they feel pain.

Pain motivates the individual to withdraw from damaging situations, to protect a damaged body part while it heals, and to avoid similar experiences in the future. Plants do this.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to try and convert people to become vegetarians or meat eaters? Every time I am aware of the fact that someone is a veg. it is because they feel the need to be convinced otherwise. (or vice versa) Why not just eat your vegetables or your meat and not worry about what other people are eating. You made a lifestyle choice, good for you. Now leave me to eat my lifestyle choice in peace.

The issue here is that the "lifestyle choice" of eating meat assumes that there is no "other", and that it doesn't only affect the person making the lifestyle choice - it involves the taking of another life. Aggressive activism definitely alienates people on both sides, and there are definitely more positive, peaceful ways to share beliefs than shoving them down others' throats, but the fact of the matter is that some people feel that they cannot simply stand by and watch injustice happen.

This is a valid point, it is taking a life. But it's viewed differently to take the life of a sentient creature with a brain and nervous system as opposed to pulling a carrot out of the ground. Sure taking a plant's life is still taking a life, but animals have brains and nervous systems. They have the known capacity to suffer.

Plants fight for survival, avoid things that harm them, and react to external stimuli. While it does not have a nervous system (technically) it does have something that serves the same purpose.

Heliotropism and other plant adaptations to their environment isn't proof they feel pain.

Pain motivates the individual to withdraw from damaging situations, to protect a damaged body part while it heals, and to avoid similar experiences in the future. Plants do this.

So do some man-made robots.
  • doorki
    Options

Yup. Which is where the discussions about the rights of artificial beings are coming from. But they also don't provide sustenance.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat once-sentient things.

It used to be almost necessary, but with advancements in technology and transportation, it's no longer necessary. If I can live a healthy life without killing an animal, that's what I'll do.
  • _VoV
    Options

Yup. Which is where the discussions about the rights of artificial beings are coming from. But they also don't provide sustenance.

Haha! So are you saying that robots feel pain now? Since, their behavior is obstacle-avoidant just like the plants you cry for, I can see how it would offend your sensibilities.
  • doorki
    Options

Haha! So are you saying that robots feel pain now? Since, their behavior is obstacle-avoidant just like the plants you cry for, I can see how it would offend your sensibilities.

Have you seen the latest robot AI technology?
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Jesus, Doorki, you really REALLY want people to start considering the feelings of plants. This is like the 1984y638927t53 forum you have posted your plant argument in.

Don't you have like... working out... or a job... or something else besides your absurd argument to focus your attention on? Maybe you need a girlfriend. EHarmony is a wonderful site from what I have heard.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Wow, and here was me thinking there'd be at least 24 hours before the next round of Veggie. vs. Omni.
  • _VoV
    Options

Even something as unsophisticated as the Roomba makes my case for me. I really think someone as sensitive as you are--with your obvious concern for plants and robots--should go vegetarian. I worry for you.
  • doorki
    Options
    Jesus, Doorki, you really REALLY want people to start considering the feelings of plants. This is like the 1984y638927t53 forum you have posted your plant argument in.

Don't you have like... working out... or a job... or something else besides your absurd argument to focus your attention on? Maybe you need a girlfriend. EHarmony is a wonderful site from what I have heard.

lol...Married, 2 kids, good job and healthy love for debate. The argument is not absurd because it pokes holes in some of the anti-meat crowd's perceived superiority because they do not harm things to eat. Everyone harms things to eat. Its the life and it is messy. Accept it =)
  • doorki
    Options

Even something as unsophisticated as the Roomba makes my case for me. I really think someone as sensitive as you are--with your obvious concern for plants and robots--should go vegetarian. I worry for you.

no, a Roomba does not exercise self preservation like a plant does. Or some of the more sophisticated AI that is being developed.
  • amivox
    Options
    Wait, wait... I get it. It even says you are a troll when you are bored in your profile. You must be bored a lot. There are far better ways to spend your time, in my opinion.

Things I would rather do than troll forums:

hang out with my kid (although she is napping right now...)
    be in a band playing awesome badass music
    eat
    have sex
    eat
    have sex
    take a walk
    work out
    eat
    play with my dogs
    have sex
    watch the news
    watch a documentary
    eat
    smoke herb
    have sex

I mean, its a whole world of possibilities, man.
  • doorki
    Options
    Wow, and here was me thinking there'd be at least 24 hours before the next round of Veggie. vs. Omni.

I haven't even gone to omni yet =)
  • doorki
    Options
    Wait, wait... I get it. It even says you are a troll when you are bored in your profile. You must be bored a lot. There are far better ways to spend your time, in my opinion.

eat
    have sex
    eat
    have sex
    take a walk
    work out
    eat
    play with my dogs
    have sex
    watch the news
    watch a documentary
    eat
    smoke herb
    have sex

The only thing in that list I can do at work is eat and I'm not even allowed to do that since I joined this site.
  • _VoV
    Options

no, a Roomba does not exercise self preservation like a plant does. Or some of the more sophisticated AI that is being developed.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • amivox
    Options

eat
    have sex
    eat
    have sex
    take a walk
    work out
    eat
    play with my dogs
    have sex
    watch the news
    watch a documentary
    eat
    smoke herb
    have sex

The only thing in that list I can do at work is eat and I'm not even allowed to do that since I joined this site.

Well, your work is a lot nicer than mine. If we got caught on the interwebz we got reprimanded. And you can too eat. :-P Just workout more when you get home or eat a healthy snack, man!!
  • _VoV
    Options

eat
    have sex
    eat
    have sex
    take a walk
    work out
    eat
    play with my dogs
    have sex
    watch the news
    watch a documentary
    eat
    smoke herb
    have sex

Brilliant. I'm going to close my eyes, point to the screen, and do the one that shows up. All of those are way better than arguing about pain sensitivity in plants, robots and trolls.
  • doorki
    Options

eat
    have sex
    eat
    have sex
    take a walk
    work out
    eat
    play with my dogs
    have sex
    watch the news
    watch a documentary
    eat
    smoke herb
    have sex

Well, your work is a lot nicer than mine. If we got caught on the interwebz we got reprimanded. And you can too eat. :-P Just workout more when you get home or eat a healthy snack, man!!

I am surrounded by 5 computer monitors hooked up to four computers. Times can be busy and they can be slow. I eat snacks and the like but only on a schedule. I exercise at a boxing gym 4 times a week after my kids go to sleep or before they wake up and the rest of the time is spent enjoying my family =)
  • doorki
    Options

eat
    have sex
    eat
    have sex
    take a walk
    work out
    eat
    play with my dogs
    have sex
    watch the news
    watch a documentary
    eat
    smoke herb
    have sex

Brilliant. I'm going to close my eyes, point to the screen, and do the one that shows up. All of those are way better than arguing about pain sensitivity in plants, robots and trolls.

I am actually not trolling with this topic because I do have a belief in it because I get offended with falsified superiority.
This discussion has been closed.