I am about to get controversial..

Options
jenbk2
jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
I have been thinking about this Karen Klein situation on the school bus. (The Bus aide the little brats made cry).

I think part of the problem in America is we are no longer allowed to spank our children for fear of arrest. Now I know people say that adults would then abuse their children...etc. I feel that parents who abuse their children still do it weather we are allowed or not.
Obviously this "time out" crap is not working. Kids do not fear their parents or any authority for that matter. I am not going to lie- I spank my boys on the bottom when the do something bad. I call it bare bottom spankings. When I threaten it- they stop misbehaving so very rarely do I need to do it.

What are your thoughts? Opinions?

Replies

• johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i agree 100% with you.... If i threaten my daughter will stop too.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Other ethnicity still spanks their kids and it still seems to work, although its illegal.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it has so much to do with not spanking as it does lack of discipline and consequences.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Agreed 100%
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I make it a habit of not telling people how to raise their kids. so do whatever you feel is right and works for you. Lord knows i was spanked and i turned out okay.

I just don't think that this is the sole contributor (if any part of the reason) of that kind of behavior.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    We lack the evidence necessary to make this determination.

I'd bet these children are no strangers to spankings. You assume they are. We don't know. So thinking that hitting them will fix the problem, when it may in fact be the cause of it, is pure speculation.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Well, spanking can work if you use it very sparingly... but, I think the cut off age should be about 4-5 years old, personally. After that, it doesn't do much good.

I think it's up to the parents to use more creative forms of punishment on their children these days, because times are indeed very different than when we were children, and even more different than when our parents were children. Different strategies should be applied to different children, no?

From my own experience with my son, spanking did not work at all on him after he was about 4 years old. He would often just giggle and then run off to do something else wrong. I did time outs with him for a while, which kind of worked for a while. I usually had to reset the time on them 10-20 times though. That moved on to taking privileges away, which is honestly the best strategy I have encountered. Allowance, video games, pool time, outside time, TV time, toys, etc. He values those things most of all - so I think once your kids get to a certain age, you've got to figure out what matters most to them and if it's necessary, take it away until their behavior is corrected.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm totally fine with spanking your children
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Spanking is illegal?
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do not. Time out and taking things away that are important works just fine for me. :happy:
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    We use a combination of the two. For most offenses, we use time outs.. they work well, (my son is 2.5). There are other times we spank. If we are in public, all it takes is a mention of a spanking, rarely have we actually had to do it (but it has happened).

We also aren't afraid to take things away. If he can't behave, he can't do or have "so and so", it was a privilage to have the (toy/game/whatever) not a right.

He learns that decisions he makes have consequences and sometimes he won't like those consequences.

For the record, he hates time outs just as much as spankings.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Spanking is illegal?

Nope. More conjecture.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I believe we should allow physical discipline back in the schools. Put yourself in the shoes of the teacher, this child is being completely rude and has a complete lack of respect but all you can do is take it or send them to the principles office where they get to sit in "timeout" and get out of class for the day.

Whine all you want but look at the differences between schools from those days to now and parents need to know not every child can be disciplined with timeouts. Discipline is like everything else, what may work for some may not work for others.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I believe we should allow physical discipline back in the schools. Put yourself in the shoes of the teacher, this child is being completely rude and has a complete lack of respect but all you can do is take it or send them to the principles office where they get to sit in "timeout" and get out of class for the day.

Whine all you want but look at the differences between schools from those days to now and parents need to know not every child can be disciplined with timeouts. Discipline is like everything else, what may work for some may not work for others.

Totally agree with you on this.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Kids have more rights than we do.
    I remember when my daughter was small and was having major hissy fits, she would stand there with her hands on her hips and literally say to me : "what are YOU going to do about it??". I was stumped. And shocked.
    They are learning at a young age that they can do anything, and we are helpless to do anything about it.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Before we had one, my husband and I both agreed that we would have no problem spanking our children. Our daughter is 6, and neither one of us has ever touched her, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Ah yes, the argument for the "good ole days". Back when things were so much better...

It isn't whining for me to say I don't want strangers hitting my kids. Not teachers, not school administration and certainly not bus drivers. I will maintain responsibility for my child's behavior. If they act out, just let me know. I don't need anyone stepping in with their brand of justice without my consent.

For the record my daughter has never once been hit and has never once been anything close to a discipline problem.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Ah yes, the argument for the "good ole days". Back when things were so much better...

It isn't whining for me to say I don't want strangers hitting my kids. Not teachers, not school administration and certainly not bus drivers. I will maintain responsibility for my child's behavior. If they act out, just let me know. I don't need anyone stepping in with their brand of justice without my consent.

For the record my daughter has never once been hit and has never once been anything close to a discipline problem.

I agree, I would get crazy if someone else hit my kid!

I don't have an issue if parents spank their own children.. but there will NOT be a stranger hitting my child.

Call me, I'll handle it, I'll leave work and go straight there. But do NOT hit my kid.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I think the problem has more to do with people not actively teaching their children respect, kindness, and compassion. The rest usually falls into place.
This discussion has been closed.