I'm cutting out bread.. What to do about sandwiches?

Options

Replies

• Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I have Type 2 diabetes and cut out all carbs until my nutritionist (registered dietician) explained that you need 135 carbs a day to sustain brain function.

Your nutriotionist should do more research or go back to school, because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Our brain needs 130 grams of glucose (which is not the same as carbs). Our bodies can convert stored fat into glucose, and that's the best source for it! Our body can also convert protein into glucose. Anyways, there is NO need for people to eat bread at all or high amount of carbs.
    I suggest you google "carbs and brain function" and show some articles to your registered dietician to educate him.

http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=282
  • shuckerlove
    Options
    I know this won't be exactly what you want, but I use 35 calorie wheat bread. 70 Cal's for two pieces, 16 carbs. Good luck!

What bread is this!?!?
  • Lolitasboss
    Lolitasboss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread ! Its a bread made from sprouts ! or use lettuce wraps .
  • KacieK1
    KacieK1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Joseph's Pita and Lavash Wraps. They're tasty, low calorie / carb, and high fiber. You can find them at Walmart (check deli service section or bread aisle).
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Thomas Bagel Thins...great flavors and only 110 calories per bagel!!
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus Posts: 31
    Options
    Wheat thins or make an un-wich (wrapped in lettuce)
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    like you i am a carbaholic. La tortilla whole wheat low carb tortillas are a LIFESAVER. the small ones are only 50 calories and just a few g of carbs.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Cardboard?
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only scanned through part of the replies, but I use English muffins for sandwiches now. Much fewer calories, but I still get my "bread" fix.
  • Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do lettuce wraps. It can be a little messy but so worth it! Less Calories, Healthier, and a little yummier to me.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories?

Good question - I stopped eating wraps - the whole wheat ones I had were 200 each

we also have a low cal bread!
    hovis nimble
  • brunson4
    brunson4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try finding recipes from the Paleo Diet. They don't use bread at all. We have been eating this way for about a month now and really enjoy it. They have a FB page and website. . . www.fastpaleo.com. Yummy recipes!
  • Soni82
    Soni82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make extra dinners and take tha tto lunch the next day - brown rice, vegies and protein. easy and saves heaps of time.

I think with bread - if you arent wheat intolerant (I suggest you take it out completely for 2 weeks then see how you feel, have a slice and see how that makes you feel) you could limit your bread intake to 2 slices of wholegrain a day or even only a few days a week but replacing it with a better carb source would be the best option for your digestive system.

Good luck and sometimes you just need that hot cheese toasty on the very odd occasion!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have decided to cut out bread because the two of us can almost clear 2 loaves in a week! We've decided it has too many carbohydrates and we often have 4 pieces of buttered toast as a snack. (Yes, I know, not good!)

My question is.. I can deal with not having bread with dinner anymore.. but what about for lunch when I would usually have a grilled turkey bacon and cheese sandwich.. or turkey sandwich? My fiance usually has peanut butter and jelly or hot ham and cheese.

Anyone have any ideas on what to replace these with?

*Wanting genuine people to help, not tell me I should have cut it out sooner or w/e
    Lol, isn't a sandwich made with bread? So if you cut out the bread, it ain't a sandwich anymore.:laugh:

Okay so with the turkey and cheese, wrap it in lettuce. For the peanut butter and jelly, eat it out of the jar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Consider the 35 cal bread. It is low carb and for 70 cals you can have 2 slices. I love the stuff!
  • TKishjr
    TKishjr Posts: 21
    Options
    I know this won't be exactly what you want, but I use 35 calorie wheat bread. 70 Cal's for two pieces, 16 carbs. Good luck!

What bread is this!?!?
    It's Healthy Choice 35 Calorie Wheat Bread. I get it the local Kroger store, I'm sure it's widely available. They also have a hamburger bun that is the same numbers as the bread, but looks and tastes like a regular bun. I was using the Brownberry sandwich slims until I found this bread. Each has it's place in my arsenal, but toast on the weekends is much better with the bread.
  • paigeyc123
    Options
    You can take the fillings of the sandwich and mix it in with a salad, brown rice, or quinoa. Although, I don't suggest doing that with pb&j.
  • Asphere79
    Options
    Several tortilla companies make a low carb tortilla with Net carbs well under 10mg per tortilla.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bell Peppers! I love to take a core out a bell pepper and add all the sandwich mixins in it. PBJ is harder, though. Not sure about that
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Red or green peppers, cut in half and seeded.

OOH!!! Such a great idea!!! :)