I'm cutting out bread.. What to do about sandwiches?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories? Bread that is?
    healthy Life low cal bread. I usually buy it from Target, Walmart or our local grocery.

Our grocery used to sell 45 calorie tortillas that I loved be stopped carrying them.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread ! Its a bread made from sprouts ! or use lettuce wraps .

I was going to suggest this -- when I was strictly following the Jay Robb Diet Plan - this is the type of bread he suggested. I choose to just cut bread myself so I didn't buy it or do research on it. Now I have whole wheat bread but I just limit my bread intake instead of having 4 slices I only have the two for a sandwich every now and then.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I have also cut out bread 100%! We do it for my intestinal issues because I seem to have a serious gluten sensitivity so that's a better motivator, but life sans bread really isn't bad. We used to bring sandwiches for lunch every day too and I've just switched us over to salads. For me, lettuce with leftover meat and veggies from the night before. He gets lettuce, maybe a boiled egg, leftover meat, veggies, and sometimes cheese. You can basically use your sandwich ingredients over lettuce for salads. If I'm in a rush I'll throw trail mix and an avocado into everybody's lunch bag to put over lettuce for lunch. Honestly the easiest lunches in the world are just leftover dinner in tupperware. Make extra food at night (or on the weekends or whenever you cook) and pack the tupperware lunches in advance. In the mornings toss your tupperware, a piece of fruit, and a ziplock full of nuts in your bag and you're all set and super healthy! Hope this helps and much luck!
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Make a nice big salad instead. You can add meat, nuts, egg, cheese, veggies or whatever you feel like topping on it
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread completely to start with and soon realised it wasn't practical. I buy warburtons sandwich thins at 100cal for a top and bottom. I can make a beef, horseradish, tomato and lettuce 'sandwich' for 163cals and they're great for cutting calories on burgers. Big bonus, I've found my boyfriend doesn't snack on them at all like he does with toast.
  • mmotherh
    Options
    I use romaine lettuce for the meat and cheese products. What about rice cakes for the peanut butter?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread is zombie thread.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I typically use English muffins for sandwiches as well as other things like burgers. Typically the ones I buy are only 100 calories, so it doesn't break the calorie bank for me. It's a little harder to just grab it as a snack, since it requires toasting (at least it does for me to eat it!)... so maybe that would be less tempting?
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I know this has been recommended many times but if you are set to cut out the bread, then lettuce wraps. Several great sandwich shops here does that, one (Jimmy John's) even calls it Unwich style. I love having Unwiches with no mayo and a little mustard plus my sandwich fillings.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread is zombie thread.

in which case, this thread should now be about cutting out shortbread. :tongue:
  • kms87298
    kms87298 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to get low sodium turkey breast cold cuts and wrap the low sodium Sandwich Stacker pickles into the center. Have a napkin handy but this is filling and delicious.
    They also sell a low calorie bread 45 calories per slice - I think its made by Sara Lee
  • charlietruck
    charlietruck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I put lunch meat between two slices of cheese and eat that!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I make a big bowl of couscous on a Sunday and add various toppings to it, e.g. roasted veggies, sandwich meat, tuna, etc. I then divide that between 5 takeaway containers and voila, easy lunch to take to work all week.
    Edit: could also use quinoa if couscous is too carbolicious!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Use the bread only to make sandwiches, and vow to not eat bread any other time, or as a snack. Simple. It's NOT about deprivation, it's just about choices.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories? Bread that is?

Healthy life bread! i buy at foodlion or natures own makes a 40 calorie bread too!!
  • AreUjoking2
    Options
    I'm allergic to wheat, so I had to cut out all breads (haven't found a gluten free bread that I really like!) I use either lettuce for wraps or corn tortilla's. Either that or I just wrap everything up in the meat and make a roll.
    I don't have the allergy, but this is what I'm doing also. I will heat up a corn tortilla, melt provolone on it, heat up some turkey and roll it all together.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    try ezikiel or spelt.. :) in the freezer section.. if your going to eat it.. then at least use the better sprouted grains.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Maybe some wheat? I use a low carb whole wheat tortilla, 81 cals, 11 g carbs, 5 g protein and 5 g fiber. They're very tasty and soft.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have decided to cut out bread because the two of us can almost clear 2 loaves in a week! We've decided it has too many carbohydrates and we often have 4 pieces of buttered toast as a snack. (Yes, I know, not good!)

My question is.. I can deal with not having bread with dinner anymore.. but what about for lunch when I would usually have a grilled turkey bacon and cheese sandwich.. or turkey sandwich? My fiance usually has peanut butter and jelly or hot ham and cheese.

Anyone have any ideas on what to replace these with?

*Wanting genuine people to help, not tell me I should have cut it out sooner or w/e

If someone gave me the option of -
    1. no bread for the rest of my life
    2. 2 slices a day only

Hmm both option are equally hard but I'm going for door #2. I can still enjoy the foods I like in moderation!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have decided to cut out bread because the two of us can almost clear 2 loaves in a week! We've decided it has too many carbohydrates and we often have 4 pieces of buttered toast as a snack. (Yes, I know, not good!)

My question is.. I can deal with not having bread with dinner anymore.. but what about for lunch when I would usually have a grilled turkey bacon and cheese sandwich.. or turkey sandwich? My fiance usually has peanut butter and jelly or hot ham and cheese.

Anyone have any ideas on what to replace these with?

*Wanting genuine people to help, not tell me I should have cut it out sooner or w/e

If someone gave me the option of -
    1. no bread for the rest of my life
    2. 2 slices a day only

Hmm both option are equally hard but I'm going for door #2. I can still enjoy the foods I like in moderation!

Yep - I actually am eating even less than that at the moment but life without bread I can't see for me (Gluten is not an issue fortunately I'm not part of the 1% who suffer Celiac) I was using Flatbreads but they were silly on the calories (170-210 depending on which i bought) I changed to a 12 grain sprouted bread (Stonemill Bakehouse) that is 130 calories for 2 slices - though i usually have just 1, I waste 65 calories on lots of things why not enjoy a little bread makes sticking with things so much easier