• PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Great post!!! :drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Great post!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    I agree with all except that I don't need chocolate. I am woman, chocolate is necessity! lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Amen, brother. Amen. (Added)

I agree with almost all of that. My emphasis has been on the *type* of food moreso than the *quantity* of food. High quality, clean, whole, paleo-friendly food is just more satiating than the other stuff, and even though I actually work hard to eat *more* calories as I am trying to slowly gain weight, it can be a struggle because of that.

Oh, and I may not *need* chocolate, but I'm still going to eat my 85% Green & Black's.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    I really want to disagree with all your posts but I can't. I want to tell you are wrong but you are not. It's pretty f**king irritating that I have taken on board what you have said and will probably use your words to stop myself from turning to old habits when I'm feeling the old me creeping back out. It's pretty awesome that you took the time to type out the truth in your thinking and when I complete my transition from previously fit to previously fat I will be sure to stop back and Thank you :)
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    The thing is, who is perfect, who controls every last drop that goes in there mouth 365 days a year, yes we all want to be fit and healthy but wheres the fun in eating veg and meat every day of your lives/
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Completely agree with everything you said about diet/food habits and exercise, it's working for me so far, but you went off the rails about 2/3 in, what a judge-y mess. Some of it makes you seem not that good to be around, so would that be, like, carryover from when you used to be fat and therefore unpleasant and gross?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Totally dig the post, but I NEED a burger every now and then!!! :tongue:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Feel free to add......
    No thanks.
  • jofjltncb6
    The thing is, who is perfect, who controls every last drop that goes in there mouth 365 days a year, yes we all want to be fit and healthy but wheres the fun in eating veg and meat every day of your lives/

I'm not perfect...(not even close)...but I've been the one in control of "every last drop" I've consumed...and so have you. You may have made some choices that you later regretted, but don't be mislead; you were the one who was in control.

And if you don't like the food you're eating, eat something different. Seriously, it's that simple. Since I dropped the fast food/boxed/bagged/packaged/processed "food" (and dropped the incredibly addictive grains), I've eaten a far more varied diet. There are so many different kinds of meats, veggies, fruits out there, and so many different ways to fix them Sure, I have some standbys I go to when I haven't adequately planned ahead, but those are my "favorites" (which is why I don't mind eating them more often). Today was a fairly typical day: breakfast was five eggs cooked in coconut oil w/ a large mug of bulletproof coffee (coffe, kg butter, and MCT oil). Lunch was baked sockeye salmon with a salad of broccoli, cauliflower, and avocado...delicious. And tonight will be a tasty hunk of meat with baked sweet potatoes, roasted garlicky cauliflower, and whatever other veggies I have around the house. Nothing "unfun" about any of that.
  • jofjltncb6
    Totally dig the post, but I NEED a burger every now and then!!! :tongue:

Nothing wrong w/ a burger patty....(one of the few points I disagreed with)...
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    heheh - this is what I got of this:

Sex is great when you aint fat - or something like that. :smooched: :smooched:
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    I agree with 99% of this. What a great post about keeping people accountable for their actions. Kudos to you!

The only thing I have a concern about:

Piging out once a week as a treat - you will fail (calories)
    I believe a healthy lifestyle is about balance. I go out to eat with my husband and allow myself 1 meal a week to eat w/e I want without thinking too much about the calories. Saying that, most of the time my meal is not over 1000 calories and it is not an all day event. So I really agree with this statement but I think it could be misinterpreted. I think an occasional high cal meal is fine but pigging out...hell no. So yeah, your right...haha

I also think there is room for sweets but again...in moderation. I cant imagine going the rest of my life without eating ice cream or cake but it shouldn't be an every day occurrence. IMO once a week is fine but it shouldn't be a whole gallon of ice cream or a 2000 calorie dessert. A little serving or even a low cal alternatives is reasonable.

I am struggling with my husbands "all or nothing" attitude about food lately. Its not about giving things up, its about replacing them with better options and eating other certain things moderation. It shouldn't be a "you cant have..." attitude. I focus on "this is type of food is great for you and we are going to limit these...."

Just my 2 cents :)

I'm currently trying to do an "all or nothing" with sweets and fizzy drinks. I know it's not necessarily the best way and I should find healthy alternatives (I do drink diet cola but it makes me really gassy lately), but at the moment, until I can control my splurges I need to go 'cold turkey'.

OP - good points made there.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    I get what you're trying to prove, but mostly you come off as a stereotypical jerk.

This.

Many of your points are valid but you come off as rude, all-knowing and generally unpleasant.
    I will eat an In 'N Out burger if I want to, I will converse and spend time with "fat people" and I will have a treat day every week.
    :bigsmile:
    And I will lose the weight.
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    I really want to disagree with all your posts but I can't. I want to tell you are wrong but you are not. It's pretty f**king irritating that I have taken on board what you have said and will probably use your words to stop myself from turning to old habits when I'm feeling the old me creeping back out. It's pretty awesome that you took the time to type out the truth in your thinking and when I complete my transition from previously fit to previously fat I will be sure to stop back and Thank you :)

^This! Exactly how I read this post and better than I'd have said it! :smile:
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    I agree with 99% of this. What a great post about keeping people accountable for their actions. Kudos to you!

The only thing I have a concern about:

Piging out once a week as a treat - you will fail (calories)
    I believe a healthy lifestyle is about balance. I go out to eat with my husband and allow myself 1 meal a week to eat w/e I want without thinking too much about the calories. Saying that, most of the time my meal is not over 1000 calories and it is not an all day event. So I really agree with this statement but I think it could be misinterpreted. I think an occasional high cal meal is fine but pigging out...hell no. So yeah, your right...haha

I also think there is room for sweets but again...in moderation. I cant imagine going the rest of my life without eating ice cream or cake but it shouldn't be an every day occurrence. IMO once a week is fine but it shouldn't be a whole gallon of ice cream or a 2000 calorie dessert. A little serving or even a low cal alternatives is reasonable.

I am struggling with my husbands "all or nothing" attitude about food lately. Its not about giving things up, its about replacing them with better options and eating other certain things moderation. It shouldn't be a "you cant have..." attitude. I focus on "this is type of food is great for you and we are going to limit these...."

Just my 2 cents :)

Totally agree with this. I want to be healthy and eat well but I also want to enjoy life and for me that means not always worrying about the amount of calories I'm eating and having chocolate and cake in moderation if I want to!
  • Maybe I missed it... but nothing about drinking enough water?
  • vanhouae
    vanhouae Posts: 1
    You do kind of come off kind of jerky, even if what you're saying is mostly correct.

Also, fast food isn't the only problem, it's anything that is super high in carbs that people think is okay because it's lower in calories... I hate those stupid "lean cuisine" meals because they're so high in sodium and carbs even though they don't have many calories in them. They try to trick people into thinking they're healthy when they really aren't. Another one that gets me is slimfast... how can anything with that much sugar help you lose weight effectively? I always joke about it because my mom drank it to help her gain weight after she got out of the hospital.

Anyways, liked your post. Blunt and to the point. Nice.
  • jofjltncb6
    Who cares if he sounds a little "jerky". As long as he's dropping knowledge and not trying to make friends with everyone, then I'd say he's doing it right. Too many people on MFP are more worried about being nice than they are about being honest...IMHO.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 492 Member

You never need to eat chocolate or crisps, etc.

Feel free to add......

Uhhhhh yes I do! :tongue:

and no thanks.