TOO MUCH FRUIT CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

Options
I got the following info from a personal trainer's facebook page. Thought it might be good info to share:

Although fruit contains natural sugar in the form of fructose, it is nonetheless still sugar and too much of it can lead to weight gain. Most of the carbohydrates we eat are made up of chains of glucose. When glucose enters the bloodstream, the body releases insulin to help regulate it. Fructose, on the other hand, is processed in the liver. When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough so it is converted into fats.

Here's a list of fruit and their respective sugar levels:

Fruits Lowest in Sugar
1. Lemon or Lime
2. Rhubarb
3. Raspberries
4. Blackberries
5.Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar
1. Strawberries
2. Casaba Melon
3. Papaya
4. Watermelon
5. Peaches
6. Nectarines
7. Blueberries
8. Cantaloupes
9. Honeydew Melons
10. Apples
11. Guavas
12. Apricots
13. Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar
1. Plums
2. Oranges
3. Kiwifruit
4. Pears
5. Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar
1. Tangerines
2. Cherries
3. Grapes
4. Pomegranates
5. Mangos
6. Figs
7. Bananas
8. Dried Fruit, such as: Dates-Raisins-Dried Apricots & Prunes

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Nice. I try to tell my friends that fruit sugar in excess is not good. Thanks for posting this! Lots of people sub fruit for the colas and sugary treats they used to eat and try to rationalize it with "but fruit is good for you." Yeah, a couple pieces of fruit. Not a whole bowl of cherries.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    mm strawberry rhubarb pie.
    i should attempt to make one low carb ish.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I cant stomach more than one serving per day... so I always make sure its from the berry family... they make some mean protein smoothies for sure!!!!!!!!!!
  • mycalories13
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is so true... We can easily add the pounds thinking we are eating healthy by over eating fruit. Definitely helpful info. I was just having me some strawberries as i read this Lol
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i used to quit fruit. ive added it back into my diet though and it is definitely not affecting my weight loss... i know ppl in fitness competitions cut out fruit but i think thats too extreme....cookies w/ sugar i can see...FRUIT with sugar... nahhh i enjoy my fruit!! 4-5 servings a day! :)
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nothing is good if you eat too much of it. Avoiding fruit because of sugar, however, is not necessarily a healthy option either. It has so many good things - vitamins, minerals, fiber, micronutrients - that is hard to get from other sources. And not to be rude to the personal trainer, I am careful about taking advice from trainers where nutrition is concerned. Registered Dietitians are much more appropriate sources of info.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't think the trainer was inferring that ppl shouldn't eat fruit. I think she just wanted ppl to be able to make a more conscious decision on which fruit might be a better option. At least that's what I took from it. As a vegetarian, I lean heavy towards fruits and veggies. In the summer it's often more fruit (just because the good stuff is in season). I now know which fruits are safe to load up on and which ones I might want to save for every once in a while.
  • jrlja5
    jrlja5 Posts: 59
    Options
    thanks! I'll be more conscious when deciding what to add to my lunch!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree that we should not overdo it on fruit but we should not eliminate it altogether either. The absolute best time of day to eat it is in the mornings. I have mainly 1 and sometimes 2 servings. Your trainer may not have told you that fruit has a wonderful cleansing effect on our body and the morning is the best time to have it. It can actually help our liver to transport(burn) fat if done that way.

Edit; I am fortunate to have a personal trainer who is also a MS in Nutrition.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I got the following info from a personal trainer's facebook page. Thought it might be good info to share:

Although fruit contains natural sugar in the form of fructose, it is nonetheless still sugar and too much of it can lead to weight gain. Most of the carbohydrates we eat are made up of chains of glucose. When glucose enters the bloodstream, the body releases insulin to help regulate it. Fructose, on the other hand, is processed in the liver. When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough so it is converted into fats.

You should find a new personal trainer if he is yours. Sugar by itself does inhibit fat loss within a calorie deficit assuming you have no underlying medical conditions.
  • kezzarick
    kezzarick Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh no.......just ate my way through a punnet of cherries!!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    TY! I always wondered why my ex loved rhubarb, particularly strawberry rhubarb pie. :laugh: Thanks for posting! :]
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I agree that we should not overdo it on fruit but we should not eliminate it altogether either. The absolute best time of day to eat it is in the mornings. I have mainly 1 and sometimes 2 servings. Your trainer may not have told you that fruit has a wonderful cleansing effect on our body and the morning is the best time to have it. It can actually help our liver to transport(burn) fat if done that way.

Edit; I am fortunate to have a personal trainer who is also a MS in Nutrition.

I agree about the am part. I almost always have fresh or frozen fruit, at least the days majority in the am. I will occasionally have an apple or banana in the eves or afternoon but almost all my daily amt is in the morning! :drinker:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want - fruit and all.
    And then log it in the MFP diary. At day's end I keep my calorie count under goal.
    Simple deal.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    No one is saying you shouldn't eat fruit. This is just a great way of knowing the sugar amounts in said fruits so you can make an educated choice on what fruit is best for you without having so much sugar that it would put you over. :) knowledge is power! Lol!
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options

From a pathophysiological point of view, you would have to eat a bucketful of fruit before your liver had problems processing fructose.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I eat a banana everyday in addition to 2-3 other fruits a day. It helps me lose weight and stay away from junk. I think natural sugar is okay. Maybe if you are a competitor or something they may need to eliminate.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We should be so lucky if more people would even eat fruit to begin with...
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do well limiting myself 2 servings of lower sugar fruit a day. I love my Costco frozen strawberries (6 of them!) in my breakfast protein shakes on work mornings. YUMMO!

It's interesting how everyone's bodies react differently to different things. For me, it's sugar and starch. If I keep those 2 things in check, I am successful. I have other friends that can eat bread/pasta/rice, etc. and still do fine.

This list of fruits is a fantasic share, because if there is someone out there that is sensitive to sugars this is a great place to start looking for ways to lower their intake! I appreciate you posting up the information - it's a great conversation starter!
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We should be so lucky if more people would even eat fruit to begin with...

For real...