TOO MUCH FRUIT CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I really wish that they had a separate section for 'things my personal trainer said' so these types of posts could go there.......and disappear and be ignored. They purpetuate total BS.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ^agreed

The rule of thumb I've always lived by is don't eat fruit 6 hours before bed.

Why not? would you turn into a grapefruit or something?
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and still try to get my fruits daily. I strive for an apple and blueberries every day. I just pair the apple with some protein or nuts and put blueberries in my protein shake. Keeps my sugar in check and feeds my BRAIN! I love cherries, but only eat about 7 at a time because of high sugar in them. But I STILL enjoy them. Had watermelon and cherries today!

Perspective, my friends......
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    OMG. Fruit is better than a cheeseburger. Calories in versus calories out.
    Not if you need protein. Everything's relative.
  • EricaWarren
    Options
    This really is misleading because you would have to eat a ton of servings of fruit for it to have this adverse affect on weight loss. The entire fruit must be considered and most fruit is mostly water and the skin is fiber, both work to counteract the amount of sugar your body is actually processing from the fruit, not to mention the antioxidants and vitamins that fruit provides. Common sense dictates that for much of history the human diet consisted of fruits, veggies, nuts and protein and obesity hasn't been a problem for all of human history. Its only been a problem the last 2-3 decades in the US, where the typical diet consists of very little whole, raw fruits or vegetables. Nobody is getting fat from eating too much fruit.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the article. It just made me think... I didn't "fluff up" from eating apples and bananas. Therefore, I say "Viva la fruit!!"
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    THIS JUST IN:

TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

....smashes face off of keyboard repeatedly....

And don't eat back your exercise calories or you'll get fat!

... oops. I got lost in the threads. :leaves quickly:
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eat pizza!
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just had a BIG bowl of fresh picked strawberries. YUM! I have a banana every morning. fresh fruit at least two more times in the day that's besides the raisins in my oatmeal. After being very ill since 2002 from a head injury, I learned about health and nutrition. I also learned there are a lot of "experts" out there that say this or that.

My grandma used to say "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". I think she knew a thing or two :smile:

The information is good if you need to know which fruit has less sugar. I don't have a problem with diabetes or my liver.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't think the trainer was inferring that ppl shouldn't eat fruit. I think she just wanted ppl to be able to make a more conscious decision on which fruit might be a better option. At least that's what I took from it. As a vegetarian, I lean heavy towards fruits and veggies. In the summer it's often more fruit (just because the good stuff is in season). I now know which fruits are safe to load up on and which ones I might want to save for every once in a while.

I totally agree with you! I enjoy eating fruit and it's so healthy, but it's good to know what better choices are available. Thanks for posting!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Eat pizza!

Pizza makes you fat. Always.
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    This just makes me sad, I love my fruit! I can eat so much fruit in one sitting, now I'm scared to eat too much!!
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    WHAT...EV...EVER
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    This just makes me sad, I love my fruit! I can eat so much fruit in one sitting, now I'm scared to eat too much!!
    Don't be. I experience the largest amounts of weight loss during the weeks I eat grapes as my primary snack. You'd have to eat buckets of fruit before your liver gave up the ghost. Go ahead and enjoy your bowl of fresh strawberries. :)
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, but fruit is probably my favorite carb source. When I dropped 40 lbs a few years back I was eating several pieces of fruit for breakfast every morning. Even bananas. I rarely use caffeine and the sugar perk is super nice when I have an 8 am class! Plus it uhh... aids digestion...
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I really wish that they had a separate section for 'things my personal trainer said' so these types of posts could go there.......and disappear and be ignored. They purpetuate total BS.
    This ^^^^^^
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    This list of fruits is a fantasic share, because if there is someone out there that is sensitive to sugars this is a great place to start looking for ways to lower their intake! I appreciate you posting up the information - it's a great conversation starter!
    Agreed! Thanks!!

My IMO comment is that I don't know too many people who gain weight from fruit, but I do feel some of it can slow down your weight loss. Thanks again!
  • OMG!! I'm pretty new on the site and have been checking all the nutritional levels of vegetables and haven't got to sugar. Thanks for finding such an easy script to follow, i'm newly diabetic and have managed to stay off meds with MFP..... and you!!!!! You're a sweetheart. Best of luck with your new life. Liz
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Dangit...guess I'll need to get rid of my prunes afterall. However, 1 banana a day (breakfast) can't be too bad.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I am not a fruit person but since purchasing a juicer I have been having my own juice almost every day.
    My sugar is at least 20 over my goal, but honestly it doesnt matter as long as its not processed sugar.