TOO MUCH FRUIT CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

Options

Replies

• veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who eat mostly fruit (raw vegans) and they are not overweight at all. In fact, many of them lost weight eating mostly fruit.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nothing is good if you eat too much of it. Avoiding fruit because of sugar, however, is not necessarily a healthy option either. It has so many good things - vitamins, minerals, fiber, micronutrients - that is hard to get from other sources. And not to be rude to the personal trainer, I am careful about taking advice from trainers where nutrition is concerned. Registered Dietitians are much more appropriate sources of info.
    well said i agree completely
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am not a fruit person but since purchasing a juicer I have been having my own juice almost every day.
    My sugar is at least 20 over my goal, but honestly it doesnt matter as long as its not processed sugar.
    Processed sugar and sugar from fruit are exactly the same. The advantage fruit has is fiber, which, by juicing it, you lose.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    From a pathophysiological point of view, you would have to eat a bucketful of fruit before your liver had problems processing fructose.

This.

Also, from a caloric standpoint, eating too much of ANYTHING can lead to weight gain. The last thing I'd be worrying about is fruit.

it will not make you as fat than french fries and certainly many people indulge in those without concern. fruit is packed with fiber and water, even though it has sugar.

don't trip.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I am not a fruit person but since purchasing a juicer I have been having my own juice almost every day.
    My sugar is at least 20 over my goal, but honestly it doesnt matter as long as its not processed sugar.
    Processed sugar and sugar from fruit are exactly the same. The advantage fruit has is fiber, which, by juicing it, you lose.

but ... dr. oz!
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    From a pathophysiological point of view, you would have to eat a bucketful of fruit before your liver had problems processing fructose.

This.

Also, from a caloric standpoint, eating too much of ANYTHING can lead to weight gain. The last thing I'd be worrying about is fruit.

it will not make you as fat than french fries and certainly many people indulge in those without concern. fruit is packed with fiber and water, even though it has sugar.

don't trip.

a calorie from a french fry = a calorie from an apple.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Dangit...guess I'll need to get rid of my prunes afterall. However, 1 banana a day (breakfast) can't be too bad.

I am so trying to get back to one banana a day. I know they may slow down your weight loss but me being a fast food junkie I am not going to trip too much on eating too much fruit. I will never get to that catogory anyways.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I had fruit in every meal today. Some of it was bbqed on skewers with bbq sauce. Omg. Suddenly, something...is in the way. But its not weight loss. I'm pretty sure its the caps lock. I think it's in your way to, but if you push it, it goes away.

Also, coming from experience and knowing several personal trainers personally...personal trainer does not equal smart. In fact, most people who know them agree that they are opposite of that.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

Thanks, I should eat some more fruit instead of juicing it so often. Just not a fruit person! Maybe I should stick to watermelon (yum!)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas almost daily, And pineapple quite often. Apples and oranges make many appearances in my diary. Just sayin.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

not exactly; i mean, yes as far as a calorie goes, but no as far as nutrition and body performance goes. it's not all about calories.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. It is nature's candy.

^
    This!
  • tigersword
    Options

not exactly; i mean, yes as far as a calorie goes, but no as far as nutrition and body performance goes. it's not all about calories.
    French fry = potato, potato = tons of nutrition.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

But its usually fried in oil and not really eaten in moderation.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I really wish that they had a separate section for 'things my personal trainer said' so these types of posts could go there.......and disappear and be ignored. They purpetuate total BS.
    I have seriously had this thought before. No joke.
  • MrExcessive
    Options
    i used to quit fruit. ive added it back into my diet though and it is definitely not affecting my weight loss... i know ppl in fitness competitions cut out fruit but i think thats too extreme....cookies w/ sugar i can see...FRUIT with sugar... nahhh i enjoy my fruit!! 4-5 servings a day! :)

I agree with you 100%.....Lost 90lbs and still ate fruit a lot of it!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything makes you gain weight. IIFYM eat all the fruit you want.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Rubbish.

I've lost 73 pounds by eating 2-4 pieces of fruit a day - and sometimes more, and usually almost always including a banana!

And with that list - who is going to sit down and eat a lemon or a lime??
  • tsh0ck
    Options

I'm not all that worried about the oil. it gets figured into my calories and macros just like anything else. and moderation? well, that's on you and me -- not the delicious little french fry.
  • tigersword
    Options

I'm not all that worried about the oil. it gets figured into my calories and macros just like anything else. and moderation? well, that's on you and me -- not the delicious little french fry.
    This, besides, why is oil suddenly bad? Peanut oil, healthy, olive oil, also healthy, lard, contrary to popular belief, also very heart healthy, and of course, coconut oil is healthy. Personally I only deep fry in extra virgin olive oil or peanut oil.