At what size is it okay to start working in a gym?

Options

Replies

• Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    First of all, they discriminated against you. I think they think all fitness instructors must be a size 6-8, but that's not what real woman weigh. At my gym, there is a fitness instructor that has to be a size 16 or so, and she teaches, there is also a Zumba fitness instructor that used to be probably a size 20 or 22, and she teaches. However, she has lost a considerable amount of weight while teaching Zumba.....what better advertisement then that!! I personally would not work for that company and go elsewhere. Most companies want you to "look" the part, especially in the fitness industry, but that's wrong. Hope you find a job that values your education and abilities, and not your weight. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but your post is discriminative as well. "real women aren't a 6-8"??? Excuse me, but I am a 2-4 and I feel pretty real. That's just dumb.
    I agree. My clothing sizes vary between 00-3 depending on what I weigh.
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I went to check out a gym once and the woman they had touring folks around was very fat, maybe a size 20-22. It really turned me off and I just wanted to ask her, hey why aren't YOU taking care of yourself? I never did join that gym, as they had so many obese people working there. I was insecure in myself at the time and just needed the visual validation that I could be successful from working out there...hard for me to believe with all those fat people working there. So I do know they lost at least one customer from that.

At the gym I am now a member of, most of the people who work there are fit and trim, but they do have a couple of really obese people working there, like doing clean-up and stuff. it doesn't bother me now, I am at a different place mentally.

While a size 12 isn't usually obese, for most women it does indicate being overweight.

Are you talking about a US size 12, because a UK size 10 is the equivalent to a US 6 and not what most people would consider overweight :s unless you are really petite.

I applied in a gym in March for a receptionist position, whilst studying my Fitness course. I got an email back, a month after the interview saying I was not successful. I talked to a friend of mine who also works there and she was told by her manager they would have hired me, I seemed like a smart, intelligent, young girl but they didn't like that I was "too big" and would "not be a good advertisement for the gym."

Yeah, I understand that you need to be visibly fit but at a size 12 it's not like I'm humongous either.

What size is it okay to start working in a gym?

I ask because I have just gained my cert 3 in Fitness but I am scared if I go apply to work on a gym floor somewhere they are all gonna turn me down cos of my size.

I honestly thought you could be any size to work at a gym, you are continually working on your fitness and health and that's generally the most important aspect when working on the fitness industry. Keep you head up high and definitely keep applying!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, employers were still allowed to decide whether to hire someone based on their appearance.

They are NOT allowed to discriminate "on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, or age;"

A business can pick which applicant meets their appearance criteria; sad, but true. People telling her to 'sue' is ridiculous. We are WAAAY too sue happy, it's totally a shame.

Here is what the law says:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

To the OP..I'm sorry this happened to you..I personally wouldn't want to work there if that's how they choose to be. I'm just saying that they are entitled to have opinions on how you look. You seem to be a 'healthy' size, so I'd apply at another gym, and rock it :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There are professions where discrimination based on physical appearance is acceptable. Any time a job requires you to look like you are in good shape, it's OK. Actors, dancers, etc. are routinely not given jobs because they don't look right. A gym has an image to maintain, and a big part of that image is hiring people who look healthy and attractive. Your actual health and fitness are not really what they take into consideration unless you are going to be a trainer. So, if you don't LOOK like you're fit, they won't hire you. They're allowed to do that. It sucks for you, and I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but that's just the way it is.
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    I worked at a gym for several years. I was over 350 pounds when they hired me. I was their lifeguard, a sales rep, plus I opened in the mornings, often times working the front desk as well as being in charge of the pool/sauna area, and assisted with physical training, machine demos, etc. There was never any qualms about my size when they hired me. Believe me, I talked to my bosses about it after they hired me. It is good for a gym's image because they want to bring in clientele that needs to and wants to get into shape. A lot of unfit or overweight people feel intimidated by all those "muscle bound air heads" that generally frequent a gym.

**And before anyone jumps on me for my stereotyping, please understand it is in quotes and not MY words. I frequent a gym, I work out religiously 6 days a week for 2 to 3+ hours a day. Plus my brother is one of those muscle men (along with a couple of my adopted brothers) that you see hefting weights every day in the gyms. **
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    This is not unexpected and totally reasonable. A health club should only hire fit employees.
    Would you ever hire a fat personal trainer or nutritional consultant? I hope not!
    We must produce fruit in our own lives before reaching out to others. We can't give away what we do not have.
    A business like a health club needs to project an image of success in every way, starting with its employees.
    I am not trying to be unkind, but this is how life works.
    Nobody is entitled to employment.
    Buck up, stay on track and get fit yourself. Our bodies are the one thing we have the most control of in this life. If we master that, people like us more. If we make a mess of our health due to poor decisions and undisciplined living, that speaks volumes as well. People will judge us, and they should.
    That's reality.
    Don't let this get you down; suck it up, and keep punching. Think of how far you have come.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

I agree. Its a business decision. you are selling health and it is a turn off if the people that are doing the selling arent healthy.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This is not unexpected and totally reasonable. A health club should only hire fit employees.
    Would you ever hire a fat personal trainer or nutritional consultant? I hope not!
    We must produce fruit in our own lives before reaching out to others. We can't give away what we do not have.
    A business like a health club needs to project an image of success in every way, starting with its employees.
    Buck up, stay on track and get fit yourself. Our bodies are the one thing we have the most control of in this life. If we master that, people like us more. If we make a mess of our health due to poor decisions and undisciplined living, that speaks volumes as well. People will judge us, and they should.
    That's reality.
    Don't let this get you down; suck it up, and keep punching. Think of how far you have come.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

I agree. Its a business decision. you are selling health and it is a turn off if the people that are doing the selling arent healthy.
    It's hard to get through the reality to some that life is not all about their intentions or self esteem.
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    When I read the title i thought it was what size to start working out in a gym and I was gonna say RIGHT NOW whatever size you are... but wow.. that's just even more ridiculous.

Sounds like that gym only cares about eye candy and not getting people in better shape. I would promptly apply for a job at whatever gym is their biggest competitor... absolutely ridiculous.

EXACTLY!!!
  • xxsuzexx
    xxsuzexx Posts: 34
    Options
    I am gobsmacked................ Aus 12 is Uk 10 is US 8. The gym needs reporting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    That's reality.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

Actually, I think you'll find that a lot of the sociopolitical controversy the occurs right now highlights exactly how little control we have over our bodies, specfically women. Stigma and legislation are huge factors in how our bodies are ultimately used and viewed.

While I agree that a gym requires staff who can practise what they preach, they had no legal or social right to *assume* the OP didn't have the fitness and knowledge to work there. Chances are, if she's lost that amount of weight on her own, she has fairly good qualifications in the area of weight loss and fitness.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked that any gym thinks a UK size 10 is overweight or too big! Personally I wouldnt want to work somewhere where they can be so moronic! Yes you'd expect people working in a gym to look fit and healthy, but most people who are a size 10 do!! I would not want to work or go to that gym!!
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My gym has some overweight staff. I don't think it bothers anyone here since they are very friendly and someone is always talking to them.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That's reality.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

You're right about no one is entitled employment. Although not hiring even though qualified the position simply based on size is DISCRIMINATION.
    But honestly if I were to walk into a gym that was made up of "perfect" people all skinny, trim in shape etc...I'd feel intimidated and NOT want to join. I'd prefer being around real people who like me, need the use of a gym, trainer, dietician.

To the OP, go elsewhere. They sound too snooty. You're better than that and they don't deserve you.
    :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I am gobsmacked................ Aus 12 is Uk 10 is US 8. The gym needs reporting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To whom?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    To whom?

MFP! :D

if a gym wants to hire all fat people or all thin or all fit or a mix thats their choice. they are just trying to attract the most business.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Isn't a 12 in Australia like a US size 6?

ok i thought it was a 10, it's actually an 8
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Since no one gave an answer to your question I'll take a guess. The size that specific gym probably wants is the average size most of the women trainers there are. If they say they want a trim and fit look I'd guess around a size 4 US, tops, for someone 5'5.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You're entitled to know why you were unsuccessful. Write and ask why. If they're stupid enough to say it was your appearance, then you have a case.

What they did was illegal, but you'd have to prove it.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I remember a receptionist at my gym that was a healthy size (i.e. not thin at all) and her hair was beautiful and her skin was beautiful. I wanted to know what she didi to look so good. Everybody's body is diffferent. I don't know how many times friends have told me " I'm too embarrassed about my body to work out yet, I need to loose weight first.
    Somebody call the gym police on these idiots.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    That's reality.

you can be fit at a size 12. Some people are not made to be a size 2 or 4.

Yes, this. I looked at the OPs photos - she looks plenty fit to me! And sure, we want fit trainers and the like, I get that. But honestly, I would feel a little more comfortable with a trainer who was maybe bigger but fit.

There is a girl I know who looks large, but when she wears a bikini, she has a flat stomach and looks fine, but she is a little bigger. I feel like maybe that is the situation here.

Not sure how discrimination laws work in Australia, but that is just wrong to me.

But hey, at least you didn't end up working for a bad company.