I do not want to see another post about someone's grammar!

Options
It is so sad that one has to come to MFP, a place that is to be about support to be harassed for their writing style! I have read some of the profiles of those doing the harassing and do not see any PhDs in the bunch!

Now, I am not one for being negative, for we get enough of that crap as fat people in the 'real world.' My friends of MFP, this ain't the real world for me! This is my created reality for where I put my mind in a positive place to allow for positive inspirations and associations! I am sure there are others who have joined MFP for the same reason.

No one needs to be harassed about there writing style on MFP! The ability to write was not a perquisite for joining MFP. Stop it! Stop the negativity! Enough already! Let people express themselves without concern or worry about what someone will say about their writing style.

Please don't take ur time and correct anything that I have written. When I receive my paycheck every two weeks there are no deductions for grammatical errors! When they gave me my three degrees, they did not hold back honors because of grammatical errors in my writing style.

Let people be. Let them speak. Let them say what they need to say. This site sometimes is more about why we eat more than what we eat. Some of the harassing comments are a reflection of why some people are obese.

Please, no comments from the grammatical experts. Y'all have said enough!!!

Replies

• kbrooks0509
    Options
    Well said,.! Lol I had to add an xtra ending!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, because, ya know, EDUCATING people is frowned on here, you're only supposed to smile and pat them on the back, no matter what. When I make a mistake, I prefer and appreciate being corrected, it's called LEARNING.

Especially on a message board, spelling and grammar are the only way you can communicate, and pretty much directly relates to people's opinions. If I can't understand what a person is saying, that's a problem. Whatever happened to being proud of your language? I find it truly sad when non-native English speakers have better spelling and grammar than native speakers.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Totally agree.

I even saw one post in a thread here where a woman said that she doesn't understand how come those who can't differentiate their, there, they're have graduated from college. Truly an insult. While the majority of the members of this site are from the US, UK, Canada, Australia & other English speaking countries, they shouldn't forget that there are also some members who are non native English speakers also.

Personally I don't see anything special in the English language & why is it that we are all being pressured to "perfect" it. Sure its a universal language but I don't see why we have to be perfect at it especially if coming from a non English speaking country. In fact there are even more native Chinese & Spanish speakers in this world than English.
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ok.....
  • betsz1
    betsz1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You are so right! MFP should be a place where people can open up and not be put down for anything...especially grammar! Being friends with someone like that would be such a joy....NOT!!
    Options
    Yes, because, ya know, EDUCATING people is frowned on here, you're only supposed to smile and pat them on the back, no matter what. When I make a mistake, I prefer and appreciate being corrected, it's called LEARNING.

Especially on a message board, spelling and grammar are the only way you can communicate, and pretty much directly relates to people's opinions. If I can't understand what a person is saying, that's a problem. Whatever happened to being proud of your language? I find it truly sad when non-native English speakers have better spelling and grammar than native speakers.

How can you assume that everyone's language is English? Just because they reside in those English speaking countries doesn't mean they're native speakers. What if they're recent immigrants who are still learning the language?
  • tigersword
    Options

How can you assume that everyone's language is English? Just because they reside in those English speaking countries doesn't mean they're native speakers. What if they're recent immigrants who are still learning?
    Like I said, non-native speakers tend to have better grammar than native speakers. I'm not talking about just on the internet, I'm talking about real life, people that I have interacted with on a daily basis. I'm NOT assuming everyone's native language is English, I'm directly comparing people that are native speakers to people that are not native speakers.
  • tigersword
    Options

U have run on sentences in ur profile! Now, go tell that!
    Actually, there's only ONE run on sentence in my profile, not, "sentences."

Ad hominem attacks are even worse than grammatical errors, so insanely childish and immature, especially when your original post is complaining about others being immature. Irony, it's fun.

Notice, I never bothered to pick apart any of the grammar in your post, because I respected the fact that you asked people not to, even though there were several glaring errors.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    But...but...I'm a writer!

It's taking all of my willpower not to quote and fix your original post.
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

How can you assume that everyone's language is English? Just because they reside in those English speaking countries doesn't mean they're native speakers. What if they're recent immigrants who are still learning the language?

I personally are a spanish speaking person may be there's a lot of mistakes in my posts, never been in the states or other english speakers countries, so my english is what i learn from school and by myself, so i know that my english is may be not the best, but at least is better that other peoples spanish, still working on my english and want to learn other languages as well
  • FitnessSista
    Options
    But...but...I'm a writer!

It's taking all of my willpower not to quote and fix your original post.

Good! Don't be led, lead. U are not being paid here. Dig down and find something positive to say. There and their can be issues elsewhere, not on MFP!
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    Ok, I'm sort of on the fence here. On the one hand, I like to spell correctly, I like to use correct grammar and pronunciation, and I would love if everybody did the same. Sometimes I'll see a post made up entirely of text-speak and it will annoy me, but only because I find it so difficult to read. At the end of the day, language is about communicating, and if I know what's being said, who cares if it bothers me that someone used the wrong "there/their/they're"?

And you know what? Sometimes, when someone is typing really fast, a typo happens. Sometimes your fingers will go to the wrong keys, because of something called muscle memory. Sometimes I type and I'll try to write "your" but it will come out "you're" and I won't notice until I've hit return. And you know what else? It doesn't matter. None of us are here to write our dissertations, so as long as you know what someone meant, who cares?

Like I have said, it irks me when someone misspells something. I would much prefer to see perfect grammar across the board. But I don't see the point in mentioning it. It just pisses off the person at whom it's directed, drags the thread off-topic and makes you feel marginally better about what must be a pretty sad life if you feel the need to "educate" strangers who didn't ask for your "help".
    Options

How can you assume that everyone's language is English? Just because they reside in those English speaking countries doesn't mean they're native speakers. What if they're recent immigrants who are still learning?
    Like I said, non-native speakers tend to have better grammar than native speakers. I'm not talking about just on the internet, I'm talking about real life, people that I have interacted with on a daily basis. I'm NOT assuming everyone's native language is English, I'm directly comparing people that are native speakers to people that are not native speakers.

OK
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna say something when somebody says "loose" instead of "lose", or gets they're, there, and their mixed up.

BUT, when there's not a bit of punctuation or capitalization and every other word is mis-spelled, and I read it 4 times and I have no clue WTH they're saying? When there's 200 words and it's one long word-vomit? Yeah, I'm gonna have a problem with that. I don't care if English is your 15th language, everybody knows you put a damn period at the end of a sentence. I'm still not going to confront somebody about it, but it is freakin' annoying!
  • FitnessSista
    Options

I wish u much peace on ur journey!

Actually, there's only ONE run on sentence in my profile, not, "sentences."

Ad hominem attacks are even worse than grammatical errors, so insanely childish and immature, especially when your original post is complaining about others being immature. Irony, it's fun.

Notice, I never bothered to pick apart any of the grammar in your post, because I respected the fact that you asked people not to, even though there were several glaring errors.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm with you girl!

Tom

:-)
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm not gonna say something when somebody says "loose" instead of "lose", or gets they're, there, and their mixed up.

BUT, when there's not a bit of punctuation or capitalization and every other word is mis-spelled, and I read it 4 times and I have no clue WTH they're saying? When there's 200 words and it's one long word-vomit? Yeah, I'm gonna have a problem with that. I don't care if English is your 15th language, everybody knows you put a damn period at the end of a sentence. I'm still not going to confront somebody about it, but it is freakin' annoying!

QFT. It's their problem if nobody knows what they're saying. Not mine. None of my business.
  • insecretisay
    insecretisay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference between an unintentional grammar, spelling, or omission mistake or two and outright delving into "txt spk" and eschewing the original purpose of writing which is communicating to be understood.

On one hand, if someone feels comfortable with such a poor written representation of him or herself, it's not my job to judge them; I simply won't read their post, no harm, no foul. On the other hand, while I don't think running around maliciously tracking down grammatical errors does anyone any good, I'm all for asking someone to clarify or rewrite something if they initially post it in a manner that prevents their meaning from being communicated and what they are attempting to say seems like something worthwhile.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options

Girl you ARE funny! I'm also from the South and there are some who always associate intelligence with your accent.
    Options

I personally are a spanish speaking person may be there's a lot of mistakes in my posts, never been in the states or other english speakers countries, so my english is what i learn from school and by myself, so i know that my english is may be not the best, but at least is better that other peoples spanish, still working on my english and want to learn other languages as well

Me too. I'm bilingual in Spanish (more on Mexican Spanish) & Filipino (My dad is Spanish-Mexican descent & mom is a Filipina) while English is only my 3rd language which is why my English writing is poor & you can see a lot of edits in my posts. Even worse is that I can write English better than I can speak it. Of course I learned English in the Philippines but I can't practice that language here simply because its not the native language. However I feel the pressure to be "perfect" in that language not only in MFP but more so here even though English isn't a mother tongue. And that is what I hate the most.
This discussion has been closed.