I do not want to see another post about someone's grammar!

Options

Replies

• m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Dear Grammar Nazis,

I would like to thank each and every person that took the time out of their life to correct others. If it wasn't for your diligence my grammar would suffer dearly. I know the lack of grammar is tragedy compared to rest of the worlds silly issues like bullying, addiction, abuse and so much more. Thankfully their is so many perfect people online to do this instead!

Much thanks,
    Average internet user
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I told my MIL about MFP. Set her up on her computer with a shortcut to get here. Her first couple days were good. She answered a post and the grammar police came out! She left and will not be returning. What the police didn't know is, she had a stroke and has never been the same. They didn't know she was a person that really needs to be here, it truly might have saved her life. If she would have been here years before her stroke she would have fit right in, grammar errors didn't plague her then. I also have a friend with learning disabilities who tries hard but can't remember simple things no matter how many times she has been shown, told, directed. To Speak to her you would never know. On paper it glares at you. Still a good person! I will not be joining the grammar police for those reasons. :flowerforyou:

Thats very sad. We should all think twice before putting someone down. We all judge even if its unintentional but its never unintentional to attack someone. We should all try and remember this when we think poorly of another. We do not know their story!

My husband is on here, but he doesnt take advantage of the message boards because he doesnt have very good writing skills. He is smart and is actually a wiz at math. Education wasn't a priority in his family (its sad but true) and it really bothers him. He has come a long way and learned alot, but he still isn't very confident.

I'm sorry about your MIL. I wish you could change her mind.:frown:
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    v6C7q.jpg
    :tongue:

Now that's funny!:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: That reminds me of my grandma.
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have spell check turned on all the time, it's not difficult, sometimes when I type stuff too fast there are spelling errors and I wouldn't notice unless I saw the red squiggly line under the word,
    Some of the harassing comments are a reflection of why some people are obese.

Are you saying people are obese because someone corrected their grammar?

Let's stop the cycle, and let it begin with me! Have a peaceful journey to where u wanna (or want to) be!
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    I told my MIL about MFP. Set her up on her computer with a shortcut to get here. Her first couple days were good. She answered a post and the grammar police came out! She left and will not be returning. What the police didn't know is, she had a stroke and has never been the same. They didn't know she was a person that really needs to be here, it truly might have saved her life. If she would have been here years before her stroke she would have fit right in, grammar errors didn't plague her then. I also have a friend with learning disabilities who tries hard but can't remember simple things no matter how many times she has been shown, told, directed. To Speak to her you would never know. On paper it glares at you. Still a good person! I will not be joining the grammar police for those reasons. :flowerforyou:

That's is heartbreaking. I'm very sorry. Tell your friend to come back She can post on my page without fear of criticism EVER.

Tom

:smile:
  • beubanks64
    beubanks64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a newbie here....where is the love? lol I can't dang spell, worth a darn & thank the Lord for spell check everyday!

But I don't come here to get "red marks" on my paper or corrected by my English teacher or grand mother, who had two Masters!

This is BS, now I'm going back to eatting healthy and taking a long walk on a beautiful Summer day with a friend!

This site is designed where I can compete against "myself" & that's the only one that I'm accountable to..............:heart:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    While I understand that grammar-correcting often comes across as unnecessary and pedantic, the people here who are saying that it's somehow insulting or hateful to do so are reading a ridiculous amount into it. If you spell a word incorrectly and someone tells you the right way to do it, how is that insulting? It says nothing about you as a person. Why the self-righteousness? There's this weird attitude of, "I can do nothing wrong, so if I ever make a mistake, there's something wrong with you for trying to correct it." How do you expect to learn if no one tells you what mistakes you're making?
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I disagree.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow! I don't want to see that mess. People have alot to deal with aready! You should be ashamed of youselves for making people feel bad or hurting their feelings! Wow all of this on a MOTIVATIONAL AND SUPPORT WEBSITE!!! WOW!! IT'S JUST SAD!!!!!!
    If correcting someone's mistake hurts their feelings and makes them feel bad, then they should probably seek counseling, because they would probably have some serious emotional issues.

Does a student in class get their feelings hurt being corrected by a teacher? I don't feel bad when someone corrects a mistake I made, I learn from the mistake and move on.
  • beubanks64
    beubanks64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love it! :heart:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if i spell something incorrectly, i'd want to know.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    If somebody makes a typo, fine.
    If somebody uses English as a second (or third) language, fine.

If someone born and raised in the US or any English speaking country uses "U" instead of "you" regularly, or makes a post like "OMG i liek Soooooo ned too Loose 5 Poundz By 2morro...hellllppp!!!!!!1"...

...then that person needs a punch in the head.:flowerforyou:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't want to see another post about what annoys people about the MFP forums but we can't always get what we want.

*edit* Except I guess its ok when we do it in that one group. You know. *Crawls back into hypocrite land* */edit*
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Please, no comments from the grammatical experts. Y'all have said enough!!!

Well said!:) I totally agree, since I'm Russian and I can't speak English well... :/
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yea leave my grandma out of this.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, because, ya know, EDUCATING people is frowned on here, you're only supposed to smile and pat them on the back, no matter what. When I make a mistake, I prefer and appreciate being corrected, it's called LEARNING.

Especially on a message board, spelling and grammar are the only way you can communicate, and pretty much directly relates to people's opinions. If I can't understand what a person is saying, that's a problem. Whatever happened to being proud of your language? I find it truly sad when non-native English speakers have better spelling and grammar than native speakers.

How can you assume that everyone's language is English? Just because they reside in those English speaking countries doesn't mean they're native speakers. What if they're recent immigrants who are still learning the language?

I personally are a spanish speaking person may be there's a lot of mistakes in my posts, never been in the states or other english speakers countries, so my english is what i learn from school and by myself, so i know that my english is may be not the best, but at least is better that other peoples spanish, still working on my english and want to learn other languages as well

It's still better than some of the posts that show up. You're still working on English. Would you rather someone politely correct you so that you can improve, or ignore it? My Spanish is... not that great, and I've forgotten a lot since I haven't used it in a long time. To make it even worse, I learned from the Spanish speakers in my area... and they all spoke a slightly different dialect. So some words sound Cuban. Some words sound Chilean, and so forth. And there's sometimes a French accent.

It made life better for me (and for the people I helped that didn't speak English) when my Spanish was corrected.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    But...but...I'm a writer!

It's taking all of my willpower not to quote and fix your original post.

Godness gracous, me two. I hate uncorrect gramer.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how this post is helping people to support others.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree with the opening post, not everyone is/can prideful of a language... no one is perfect... if we all were, we would be robots not humans
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It costs us nothing to be kind....
This discussion has been closed.