I do not want to see another post about someone's grammar!

Options

Replies

• Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    But...but...I'm a writer!

It's taking all of my willpower not to quote and fix your original post.

I'm right there with you. I want to *correct everyone.

But I agree wholeheartedly..... I do not correct on here, however, facebook is an entirely different arena. I'm a grammar nazi over on the book of face.
    I just find it sad when adults use words improperly or cannot form a sentence correctly. OR even worse, if they do it on purpose.

It's cool to be stupid, dawg.

Most of the highest paid people in America, (athletes) can't form an intelligent sentence BUT I respect them for their athletic ability. There is good in everyone. Let's find it!

Tom

:-)
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a PhD. Am I allowed to correct grammar?

As u would do in the academic arena, do it in private. Send them a message, do not put them on blast! Peace!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I never see people saying, "Wow, what a complete idiot you are for spelling that word wrong! You should crawl in a hole and die!" I do see people who will say something like, "Just FYI, it's spelled 'lose' and not 'loose.'" That is not belittling. That is not making people feel stupid or uneducated. If someone feels that way in response to such comments, that's their own doing. I can't understand why people would rather do something incorrectly over and over rather than just learn about the correct way and do it like that from then on.

This exactly. I do not want to see another post about a nonissue. We don't always get what we want.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

If this was a forum about learning correct grammar, would you feel it necessary to comment about someone's weight based on their profile picture?

Tom

I try not to post about people's grammar, either, but do completely understand why making an effort at writing clearly in a written forum matters, and was attempting to explain both why I felt it happens (and my strategy for avoiding this.) While I'm not usually as rude as to comment on people's weight (even on MFP where weight is the topic at hand), if my job were to help people lose weight, I might find myself trying really hard to avoid commenting on weight, even on a grammar site.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I have arthritis am I allowed to correct grammar?

LOL

I can't see why not. But the OP didn't mention arthritis in her opening post...
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I get slightly urked by grammatical errors but I get over it. If a person asked for others to correct their grammar, I am sure they would mention it.

Correcting others isn't called LEARNING. It is unsolicited advice.

Canadians say, "how's it going?"
    Australians say, "how you're going?"

Means the same thing but to some it may sound incorrect. I see spelling mistakes abound as well but some countries spell the same words differently, like colour/color or grey/gray.... Let's just chalk it up to accepting our differences: some will continue to write the way they do, no matter what you post in response to their grammatical errors.
  • aphrogirl2002
    Options
    PRRREEEAACCCHHH Sis! Well done.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Please, no comments from the grammatical experts. Y'all have said enough!!!

I feel I must point out that there's a difference between grammatical experts, and grammar experts. I suspect you mean the latter rather than the former....
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't need a PhD in English to correct some of the grammar on this site (not that I would do so anyway); my 12 year old son could make the same corrections!

It's not our job to correct each other's grammar, but some of us find it interesting to discuss common grammatical errors.

Having said that, I'm sorry if anyone has truly felt victimised by the grammar threads. There are plenty of threads on here which I might find upsetting and/or annoying, but I choose to ignore them and move on.

Feel free to correct my grammar if necessary :flowerforyou:
  • Boomer1946
    Options

LOL

I cannot see why not? Hmmm . . .
  • meerkat70
    Options

As u would do in the academic arena, do it in private. Send them a message, do not put them on blast! Peace!

I'm always amused when the hostile sign their posts with phrases like 'Peace'. This wasn't a peaceable thread, so why pretend?

You really, really think it's a good idea to pm people with grammar corrections? Hm. I can't see that going wrong.... :-D
  • meerkat70
    Options

LOL

I cannot see why not? Hmmm . . .

Not following you, love? I'm sure there's logic there somewhere, though.

ETA Ah, I get it. You think that's a double negative? Bless. Let me assure you, it's not.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    But...but...I'm a writer!

It's taking all of my willpower not to quote and fix your original post.

I'm right there with you. I want to *correct everyone.

But I agree wholeheartedly..... I do not correct on here, however, facebook is an entirely different arena. I'm a grammar nazi over on the book of face.
    I just find it sad when adults use words improperly or cannot form a sentence correctly. OR even worse, if they do it on purpose.

It's cool to be stupid, dawg.

Most of the highest paid people in America, (athletes) can't form an intelligent sentence BUT I respect them for their athletic ability. There is good in everyone. Let's find it!

Tom

Maybe you're missing my point, here. Ppl dat talk n' write like dis on porpoise r a discrase 2 ppl who wish to portrey demselves in an intelligent manner.....

God, that made my head hurt.

I'm not saying anyone is any less of a person, but by you insinuating that I am, what does that say about you? Language and communication are at the very core of society. If we cannot communicate with others in a way that A) conveys our true message and B) do it in a manner that the recipient of said message can FULLY understand, then we have failed.
  • Boomer1946
    Options

I feel that I must . . .

Just curious . . . did you get a memo from the MFP staff stating that you are now the person in charge?
  • FitnessSista
    Options

I feel I must point out that there's a difference between grammatical experts, and grammar experts. I suspect you mean the latter rather than the former....

And, when u write that is how u write it! I'm good, in fact to damn good! Congrats on ur,wt loss!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • meerkat70
    Options

I feel that I must . . .

Just curious . . . did you get a memo from the MFP staff stating that you are now the person in charge?

Ah yes. I see the humour bypass got you too.
  • meerkat70
    Options

And, when u write that is how u write it! I'm good, in fact to damn good! Congrats on ur,wt loss!

I have no idea what you just said.
    I'm sure it was funny an' all, but I haven't got a clue as to its meaning.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Hahahaha! Congrats everyone for creating 4 pages of posts on the topic "I don't want to see another post...".
  • FitnessSista
    Options

I'm always amused when the hostile sign their posts with phrases like 'Peace'. This wasn't a peaceable thread, so why pretend?

You really, really think it's a good idea to pm people with grammar corrections? Hm. I can't see that going wrong.... :-D

I always do the Christian thing! If u are offended, please accept my apology!
This discussion has been closed.