I do not want to see another post about someone's grammar!

Options

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a spelling mishap or grammar miscue.....but the next time someone says "should of" instead of "should have" I'm going ballistic. "For all intensive purposes" is a close second.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options

Please, no comments from the grammatical experts. Y'all have said enough!!!

I feel I must point out that there's a difference between grammatical experts, and grammar experts. I suspect you mean the latter rather than the former....

And, when u write that is how u write it! I'm good, in fact to damn good! Congrats on ur,wt loss!

I have no idea what you just said.
    I'm sure it was funny an' all, but I haven't got a clue as to meaning.

We're all ignorant, just on different subjects, Love.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For gods sake - get over it!! Its a forum, message board - whatever you want to call it!

Does it matter if people make mistakes? Does it matter if people don't?

If you can read and understand whats being said then what is the problem?
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well since we've decided against teaching English, how about Spanish?
    I am currently in Spanish 2 and I think it would be extremely beneficial if everyone on MFP started posting in Spanish. Since we've only banned correcting English, everyone would be welcome to critique eachother in Spanish. Please? I believe it would fix all of our problems (primarily mine).
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I feel I must point out that there's a difference between grammatical experts, and grammar experts. I suspect you mean the latter rather than the former....

And, when u write that is how u write it! I'm good, in fact to damn good! Congrats on ur,wt loss!

I have no idea what you just said.
    I'm sure it was funny an' all, but I haven't got a clue as to meaning.

We're all ignorant, just on different subjects, Love.

So, so true!
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't want to see posts of people complaining about what they don't like in the forums. It will never happen, so I deal with it.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Well since we've decided against teaching English, how about Spanish?
    I am currently in Spanish 2 and I think it would be extremely beneficial if everyone on MFP started posting in Spanish. Since we've only banned correcting English, everyone would be welcome to critique eachother in Spanish. Please? I believe it would fix all of our problems (primarily mine).

Mi libro está hecho de lechuga.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OMG - do you all have nothing better to do with your time than to waste this many pages with stupid *kitten*? Seriously. This is not the place for kindergarten antics. Those who don't like it, whatever 'it' may be, can, and should, just take their ball out of the game. Grow up!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Let me just say I agree the negativity is horrible.. my daughter has a disability and came on the forum made one post and was made fun of.. she hasnt made a post since... she is tired of being judged and it hurt her deeply... sad is all I can say... lets encourage and support .. there are ways of doing it without people being mean!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    But...but...I'm a writer!

It's taking all of my willpower not to quote and fix your original post.
    I'm in total agreement with the OP.... and I'm biting my tongue not to do the very same thing.

I try hard not to "grade papers"' when on a message board. But when the person posting a message is obviously highly intelligent and they make a grammatical error, the impulse is to... quietly, privately... ask if the error was a typographical one.

As I told a new friend on here the other day - take what helps you in the msg boards and leave the rest. There is a broad range of personality types here, and there is no reason to be bothered by those with personalities that are not compatible with your own. Just walk on by and feel good about your own self.

:smile:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    It is so sad that one has to come to MFP, a place that is to be about support to be harassed for their writing style! I have read some of the profiles of those doing the harassing and do not see any PhDs in the bunch!

Now, I am not one for being negative, for we get enough of that crap as fat people in the 'real world.' My friends of MFP, this ain't the real world for me! This is my created reality for where I put my mind in a positive place to allow for positive inspirations and associations! I am sure there are others who have joined MFP for the same reason.

No one needs to be harassed about there writing style on MFP! The ability to write was not a perquisite for joining MFP. Stop it! Stop the negativity! Enough already! Let people express themselves without concern or worry about what someone will say about their writing style.

Please don't take ur time and correct anything that I have written. When I receive my paycheck every two weeks there are no deductions for grammatical errors! When they gave me my three degrees, they did not hold back honors because of grammatical errors in my writing style.

Let people be. Let them speak. Let them say what they need to say. This site sometimes is more about why we eat more than what we eat. Some of the harassing comments are a reflection of why some people are obese.

I spy 3 errors. Not gonna call them out. Did someone Spell Check?
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree! I find it the most annoying and counter-productive of any offense on here!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Let me just say I agree the negativity is horrible.. my daughter has a disability and came on the forum made one post and was made fun of.. she hasnt made a post since... she is tired of being judged and it hurt her deeply... sad is all I can say... lets encourage and support .. there are ways of doing it without people being mean!
    Bullying really is horrible and I'm sorry she had to deal with that. Please let her know it happens wherever bullies exist, even to older folk. I had somebody refer to me yesterday as a "douchey type" - and I feel badly for her that she's so insecure within herself that she feels the need to say such things about me, when she actually knows nothing about me.

It's like that poor bus monitor that got bullied by all those kids on the school bus - have you seen that on the news lately? I guess some people need to be negative, for whatever reasons - but I refuse to let their negativity dictate my own behavior choices.

:flowerforyou:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a spelling mishap or grammar miscue.....but the next time someone says "should of" instead of "should have" I'm going ballistic. "For all intensive purposes" is a close second.

Hahaha. I hate that 2nd. Improper usage of "their" KILLS me silently.
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, because, ya know, EDUCATING people is frowned on here, you're only supposed to smile and pat them on the back, no matter what. When I make a mistake, I prefer and appreciate being corrected, it's called LEARNING.

Especially on a message board, spelling and grammar are the only way you can communicate, and pretty much directly relates to people's opinions. If I can't understand what a person is saying, that's a problem. Whatever happened to being proud of your language? I find it truly sad when non-native English speakers have better spelling and grammar than native speakers.

Afraid I agree. People that have trouble spelling, suffer from dyslexia I can understand. But I really dislike how our language is being bastardised by people that can't be bothered. I also get very ashamed when people who don't have English as their first language have a better grasp of it than the majority of people I know. Sad.

To the original poster. I know what you are saying, and if someone comes begging for help and support and the response is more about their spelling, grammar and punctuation then that says more about us than them. But, if one is able to, then good english is like good manners. Doesn't cost anything.

I for one have the biggest pet hate of DOUBLE NEGATIVES. Argh!!!

So if you are talking to a stranger on the street, or being served at a restaurant, do you correct them if they make a grammatical error? Most likely no. Its the same thing here. It is one thing to nicely make a note of it, but another to over analyze and state one's annoyance for other people's posts.

Bigger picture here people, c'mon! LOL If we were all on www.owlpurdue.com or in a discussion forum in an online class, maybe that's one thing.

Actually, I do correct people who make a spoken grammatical error, especially if it's evident that English is their first (or only) language. I refuse to communicate with lazy, uneducated, or down right ignorant people.

In today's society, you essentially have to try to have poor grammar. You're taught it in school. You read it in books and newspapers. You write li3k thizz because you choose to.

Same for speaking. I can choose to speak correctly, or I can choose to break grammar rules and therefore sound like I do not have the college education that I've actually earned.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If somebody makes a typo, fine.
    If somebody uses English as a second (or third) language, fine.

If someone born and raised in the US or any English speaking country uses "U" instead of "you" regularly, or makes a post like "OMG i liek Soooooo ned too Loose 5 Poundz By 2morro...hellllppp!!!!!!1"...

...then that person needs a punch in the head.:flowerforyou:

I concur :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I think I love you! And Liam Neeson.... *growl*
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    LOL this is so funny to me because I am a teacher and a writer. I do cringe a bit when I see some mistakes on here but I never say anything about it. It is a bit depressing because when I see someone posting with a lot of errors, it makes me wonder...is that how this person thinks? How much of the written word do they actually understand? What kind of books do they read? Do they even read books, newspapers, magazines? Where did they go to school and/or what happened with their education? and so on.

Being an educator, this is close to my heart.

That said, if it is simple errors like someone not knowing the difference between your/you're or there/their/they're or something like that I can overlook it, as long as I can get the gist of what they're trying to convey. But if it's too much street slang and text speak and gobbledygook that I don't understand, I just click away.
  • rehey
    rehey Posts: 6
    Options

Most of the highest paid people in America, (athletes) can't form an intelligent sentence BUT I respect them for their athletic ability. There is good in everyone. Let's find it!

Tom

:-)

I can't say that I respect most of them very much - not due to lack of intelligence (which isn't their fault), but because a lot of them simply aren't very good people. I think the size of their paychecks suggests that something is very wrong with our society. Nonetheless, I agree that there is good in (almost) everyone, and we should try to find it and respect that part of them.

But, aren't we all here to educate ourselves and become better people? Maybe the central theme is weight loss, but that entails learning about nutrition and physiology (scientific literacy anyone?) and is embedded within the pursuit of better health, happiness, and respect. The ability to express oneself as a literate adult fits into these goals. I try not to judge people who lack this ability, since I have no way of knowing why they struggle with writing - but to me, the meaning of 'support' is willingness to help people improve themselves as people.
    I did not join MFP to be complacent and demand that others respect and support me for the attributes that I had when I started - I'm here to make myself a better person, and see 'support' as anything that aids this process.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I think I love you! And Liam Neeson.... *growl*

Now, you just know that Liam uses flawless spelling and grammar, and has perfect penmanship. (In addition to being a right dirty bugger.... ) Hm. Now I have that scene from Dangerous Liaisons playing in my head. Mmmmm. John Malkovich. (Also good with grammar and pens. )

I fear I may have disclosed too much in this post.
This discussion has been closed.