I give up!

Options

Replies

• warden1962
    warden1962 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hang in there! Don't starve yourself...it works against you. I often weighed less the day after I ate more than my alloted calories. Stick with it, eat and exercise and you will see success. It doesn't happen overnight but it will happen. Good luck!
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time reaching 1200 at times with the 1st part of the diet plan I use (17 day diet) But I do eat a lot of lower carb veggies (at least 40% of intake), low sugar fruits, lots of lean protein (about 30%), and some probiotics. Gradually I add whole grains. A lot of these take longer to digest than processed foods and uses more energy to digest.

I noticed you eat microwavable meals. They are so convenient for work meals. However, I have found most are high in sodium. For me, one meal high in sodium will result in a gain for a day.

Try switching to unprocessed foods for a while and see what happens. Oh and lots of water. I try for 10-12 8-oz daily.

Good luck!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Muscle weighs more than fat ;-) maybe that's what's happening?

Not at that deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have a question to everyone saying "eat more": What if you're not that hungry?

I thought you were supposed to respond to your body when it came to that stuff. I eat less than 1200 calories a day, and I don't feel hungry. I eat when I'm not hungry, because otherwise I don't think I'd eat. I just always assumed that it's because I'm short =/ (If I ate 2000 calories a day, I'd actually be considered overweight.)

Hormones completely mess up hunger signals - and the less you eat the more imbalanced those hormones get.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE weights more then fat!

So a kilo of muscle weighs more than a kilo of fat??? :noway:

OP, hang in there......Don't give up.....Take a photo and take another in a few weeks, then post so we can see....I'm sure there will be a difference......:flowerforyou:
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ok. Look at my pics. My before pic is the one in black, one month later is.the one in purple. I'm the same weight in them both! Try taking progress pics on the first of every month. You may not notice a change because it will be gradual. Keep working! There's no way if you are more active and eat better, that you won't see the benefits eventually. be patient. fit done right doesn't happen in a month.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a question to everyone saying "eat more": What if you're not that hungry?

I thought you were supposed to respond to your body when it came to that stuff. I eat less than 1200 calories a day, and I don't feel hungry. I eat when I'm not hungry, because otherwise I don't think I'd eat. I just always assumed that it's because I'm short =/ (If I ate 2000 calories a day, I'd actually be considered overweight.)

Hormones completely mess up hunger signals - and the less you eat the more imbalanced those hormones get.
    I'm 18. My hormones are already messed up.

No but seriously, what am I supposed to do then? Force myself to eat 1000 calories a day?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No but seriously, what am I supposed to do then? Force myself to eat 1000 calories a day?

While I am not going to address how much you should be eating to have a reasonable deficit or to get the correct nutrition, I will say that it is unlikely to be as low as 1,000.

That being said, you should eat more calorie dense foods like nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, cook with oil, throw some full fat dressing on your salad, no low fat anything. This way you can get more calories without the volume.

EDA: hormones in question - ghrelin & leptin (not the 18 year old ones :tongue: )
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Umm .. how can you give up when you really haven't started?

First of all, your weight can fluctuate as much as 3 lbs per day, just due to de/hydration. Consistently drink the same amount of water every day and use a tape measure, not a scale.

A few more suggestions based upon my personal experience:

Stop eating out.

Stop eating empty calories. When you buy groceries, walk around the perimeter of the store and don't go through the aisles.

Eat about 1400 cals/day, minimum.

Exercise with weights (skip the cardio!) a minimum of 500 cals/day and your measurements will decrease rapidly.

Take monthly progress pictures.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

While I am not going to address how much you should be eating to have a reasonable deficit or to get the correct nutrition, I will say that it is unlikely to be as low as 1,000.

That being said, you should eat more calorie dense foods like nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, cook with oil, throw some full fat dressing on your salad, no low fat anything. This way you can get more calories without the volume.

EDA: hormones in question - ghrelin & leptin (not the 18 year old ones :tongue: )
    But I'm trying to get to 105 pounds. That doesn't even seem possible when you're eating that much. Also, none of the aforementioned items are in my house. I'll try to acquire them, though...
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    First of all exercise is almost useless for weight loss. You can go for a two mile run and only burn of a couple slices of bread. Second the best thing to do is to eat as little as possible and preferably not eat for entire days. Starvation mode is a complete lie and does not occur until body fat reaches a low percentage. Eating healthy is not the key to weight loss, its eating less. The only nutrient you want to consume daily is protein, some essential fatty acids, and a multivitamin.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

But I'm trying to get to 105 pounds. That doesn't even seem possible when you're eating that much. Also, none of the aforementioned items are in my house. I'll try to acquire them, though...

Seriously? Yesterday you had 2 Coke Zeros, kraft dinner, a hotdog bun and a hamburger with no bun? And then 420 in random snack calories. Thats it. You're calories are set at 663 a day. A DAY. There is no way that is safe or healthy. If you eat some real food (no, coke zero is not a good breakfast or lunch) then you might get up closer to a safe intake. And yes, people lose weight eating far more then 1000 a day. If you want to get to 105lbs so badly that you are willing to starve yourself, you need to seek some help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    First of all exercise is almost useless for weight loss. You can go for a two mile run and only burn of a couple slices of bread. Second the best thing to do is to eat as little as possible and preferably not eat for entire days. Starvation mode is a complete lie and does not occur until body fat reaches a low percentage. Eating healthy is not the key to weight loss, its eating less. The only nutrient you want to consume daily is protein, some essential fatty acids, and a multivitamin.

I do not care whether starvation mode exists or not, suggesting someone eats that little is grossly irresponsible and incrediby misinformed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Out of interest, how tall are you?
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

Seriously? Yesterday you had 2 Coke Zeros, kraft dinner, a hotdog bun and a hamburger with no bun? And then 420 in random snack calories. Thats it. You're calories are set at 663 a day. A DAY. There is no way that is safe or healthy. If you eat some real food (no, coke zero is not a good breakfast or lunch) then you might get up closer to a safe intake. And yes, people lose weight eating far more then 1000 a day. If you want to get to 105lbs so badly that you are willing to starve yourself, you need to seek some help.
    The random 420 calories are smores...Did I put in there that I didn't have a bun? That's a mistake, I love bread too much. But anyway, I eat this way because I don't feel hungry (if I felt like I was starving myself, I'd eat, I'm not insane) and because that's what in the house.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

5'1, otherwise I'm pretty sure that 105 would be underweight :)
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You really aren't eating enough :/

And yes, eat when you arent hunry and eat regularly. You need to stay around 1000-1200 calories

I'm 18, too. And I used to eat very little like you. Ended up putting on weight o.o
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No-one here can say whether 105 would be underweight for you or not...it is on the low end however, even for your height. At your age (well, at any age) you really need to ensure that you keep a healthy body fat percentage.

Also, at 18, unless there is a medical condition, there is no way that you should not be able to lose at 1,200 calories. One of the issues with eating less is that you have to be really really careful with your diet and eat really heathily to get the approriate macro and micronutrients and from your diary, it would seem that you are not at all.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

No-one here can say whether 105 would be underweight for you or not...it is on the low end however, even for your height. At your age (well, at any age) you really need to ensure that you keep a healthy body fat percentage.

Also, at 18, unless there is a medical condition, there is no way that you should not be able to lose at 1,200 calories. One of the issues with eating less is that you have to be really really careful with your diet and eat really heathily to get the approriate macro and micronutrients and from your diary, it would seem that you are not at all.
    I take a multivitamin/multimineral pill every day, if that changes anything =/ And I'm basing my idea of what a good weight should be for me of a BMI calculator.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I take a multivitamin/multimineral pill every day, if that changes anything =/ And I'm basing my idea of what a good weight should be for me of a BMI calculator.

taking off some of the quotes as it is getting long.

Its better than not taking it, but a multi-vitamin will not replace the requirements you basically can only get from food.