Do NOT skip out on a meal!

Options
Jotell
Jotell Posts: 139 Member
I can not stress this enough! When you skip out on a meal or don't eat all of your calories your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto EVERY calorie it can not knowing when it will be fed again! Trust me, I KNOW.... I didn't eat my calories and GAINED 3 pounds! Now that I am eating ever 2-3 hours with healthy snacks and healthy meals I am losing!!! Every body is not the same, I get that. But, every body DOES and WILL hold onto everything it can! So, Please don't starve yourself to lose weight! It's NOT going to work and you'll only be hurting yourself.

Ok, rant is over...

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Funny, I skip breakfast lots of days and I'm losing just fine.

People should experiment and find what works for them and their body rather than relying on a one-size-fits-all approach.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your desire to help. Are you familiar with any research on the effects of short term fasting? You may be surprised at how efficient and resilient the human body is.
  • nlhill79
    nlhill79 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm just guessing here, but I bet it would depend on whether or not you feel hungry. So if you wake in the morning and miss breakfast, but you never felt hungry then your body wasn't in starvation mode. But if you feel hungry and then you skip eating just to save calories then your body goes into starvation mode. I don't eat much in the morning, but I am not hungry either.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I can not stress this enough! When you skip out on a meal or don't eat all of your calories your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto EVERY calorie it can not knowing when it will be fed again! Trust me, I KNOW.... I didn't eat my calories and GAINED 3 pounds! Now that I am eating ever 2-3 hours with healthy snacks and healthy meals I am losing!!! Every body is not the same, I get that. But, every body DOES and WILL hold onto everything it can! So, Please don't starve yourself to lose weight! It's NOT going to work and you'll only be hurting yourself.

Ok, rant is over...

This is not going to happen by skipping a meal. Or even by skipping two meals. As a matter of fact, you could skip a meal every day. It's important to try to eat your allotted calories, but you are not going to add three pounds by not eating a meal.

I eat two meals every day. No weight gain. Do a little research, what you've said really is not even a little bit true.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I KNOW.... I didn't eat my calories and GAINED 3 pounds! Now that I am eating ever 2-3 hours with healthy snacks and healthy meals I am losing!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnzDXgC2IBbU5UpBNsG72TRTJ-iQdOvbgyDgKF_qsid67IyPUtZPr_CbCT
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    There are days where I don't eat until Noon or later. It takes a lot to actually go into starvation mode. It isn't that dramatic.. It might now be the best for your metabolism but it doesn't mean you are going to starve. I can skip meals.. and still lose. Some people can't.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Ok, rant is over...

You gained 3lb over what time period? and when you say that you didn't eat your calories, do you mean you didn't eat you daily calories or just that you didn't eat them spread accross the whole day? For what period of time did you under-eat like that?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Starvation mode is a term that gets thrown around rather easily. Suffice it to say that you can go a full day or two without food and you're very unlikely to have any lasting negative effects. You might not want to do this for other reasons but starvation mode is not one of them.
  • mackreid3
    mackreid3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    People, please don't listen to this nonsense.
    A caloric deficit is how people lose weight, if you gained weight you were inaccurately counting calories. Plain and simple.
    There sure were tons of people in the holocaust who were still fat from starvation mode, or what about those starving kids on the world vision commercials...total fatties!

Gimme a break with the eat 2-3 hours every day small meal crap, the reason people lose weight doing that is because AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU ARE IN A CALORIC DEFICIT!

People choose their 'diets' around their lifestyle, I have lost 80 pounds and I have been able to eat popcorn, ice cream and hamburgers, etc and fit them into my daily caloric totals all while not eating breakfast! OH NO! **SARCASM ALERT**

You should probably do a little more research before preaching BS weight loss gospel on MFP.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with your premiss. People shouldn't starve themselves, but you didn't gain three pounds from eating less. Your body can go into conservation mode and save what calories it can for a while, but it won't completely stop losing weight, and it certainly won't gain weight on less food.
  • Jotell
    Options
    Actually, I know more than I would like to care about fasting. At my college we did a poll on both men and women about doing a liquid fast. The body allowed them to lose weight the first two weeks then plateaued and gained. 2 of the women and 1 man lost hair due to malnourishment (even with daily vitamins and minerals). Like I said, every body is different. I am NOT by any means speaking to just one person on this matter :) It is what I have learned over the years of health and nutrition. As for the not eating breakfast portion. By not eating a healthy balanced breakfast you are NOT actually breaking your fast and starting your metabolism. Why do you think you can go for a longer period of time without food as opposed to eating breakfast and being hungry within 2 hours. Again, every body is different.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    If I posted some peer reviewed research that strongly suggests that you are wrong, would you read it and moreover are you open minded enough to consider changing your position on this?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Actually, I know more than I would like to care about fasting. At my college we did a poll on both men and women about doing a liquid fast. The body allowed them to lose weight the first two weeks then plateaued and gained. 2 of the women and 1 man lost hair due to malnourishment (even with daily vitamins and minerals). Like I said, every body is different. I am NOT by any means speaking to just one person on this matter :) It is what I have learned over the years of health and nutrition. As for the not eating breakfast portion. By not eating a healthy balanced breakfast you are NOT actually breaking your fast and starting your metabolism. Why do you think you can go for a longer period of time without food as opposed to eating breakfast and being hungry within 2 hours. Again, every body is different.

Look up the Minnesota Starvation Study or just continue to make things up
  • Rapunzelmom
    Rapunzelmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" doesn't cause weight gain. It merely reduces the effectiveness of the caloric reduction after a certain point. . And I find that if I am eating sufficient proteins and fats, and fewer carbohydrates, I just don't get hungry. . Even when my calories are under.
  • vhansard
    vhansard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents worth...my endocrinologist has been helping me in my endeavor to lose the weight. Her advice is "exercise" to get your metabolism going and get a minimum of 800 calories a day (if you're female - sorry guys, not sure for you) to avoid starvation mode. It is true, the body starts to converts ALL food into fat if it thinks you aren't going to feed it! I too was eating WAY to few calories and gained 10 pounds in one month. However, a few days fasting really can't hurt too much as long as you're getting plenty of water. That's also a key to losing weight - drink tons of water! It's a natural diuretic and flushes all sorts of toxins from your system. Good luck to all!
  • Jotell
    Options
    I am very open to anything. I love to learn new things. So reading what you all have to say rude or not makes me excited to do some researching and to bring it to my professors :)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    If I posted some peer reviewed research that strongly suggests that you are wrong, would you read it and moreover are you open minded enough to consider changing your position on this?

I would be really interested in reading it. -
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I am very open to anything. I love to learn new things. So reading what you all have to say rude or not makes me excited to do some researching and to bring it to my professors :)

Do you feel as though I have been rude to you ?
  • Acg67
    Options

382 day fast, lost 276lbs

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration. Postgrad Med J. 1973 March; 49(569): 203–209.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Do NOT skip out on a meal!
    :drinker: