Do NOT skip out on a meal!

Replies

• Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Lol!!! In the form of a text... :P NOT a text book mind you. You can't tell someones emotions in a text. But, that's MY opinion. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

Don't worry, I will take out all of the smart *kitten* comments :) Luckily for you I don't become offended easily. You have some great information, and I would love to know how you came about all this knowledge! Have you studied nutrition and body training?

I have a passion for fitness and nutrition and I read a lot. I have no credentials or formal education in nutrition.

If you would like a credible source or two, I would very highly recommend:

www.alanaragon.com (<--- Alan Aragon)
    www.weightology.net (<-- James Krieger)
    www.bodyrecomposition.com (<---Lyle McDonald)

The above people have articles, and research, that will likely draw much more attention to a professor vs some random guy on the internet (me). But, you can still share my posts with them at your leisure.
  • Sidesteal
    In my opinion it is not the skipped meal that is the problem. It is what you do with the rest of them.

Be honest, no one ended up here because they ate the appropriate calories every day, we are here because we didn't pay attention to what we were eating and/or how much we were eating.

^ Good stuff up here.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    bump
  • Jotell

Don't worry, I will take out all of the smart *kitten* comments :) Luckily for you I don't become offended easily. You have some great information, and I would love to know how you came about all this knowledge! Have you studied nutrition and body training?

I have a passion for fitness and nutrition and I read a lot. I have no credentials or formal education in nutrition.

The above people have articles, and research, that will likely draw much more attention to a professor vs some random guy on the internet (me). But, you can still share my posts with them at your leisure.

Thank you very much again for all of the information! I must go and start on the writing!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Got it! Thanks for posting. I am reading it all right now. I was ALWAYS told to eat breakfast, but for real.. I don't ever feel like eating breakfast. I HATE eating in the morning. It's aggravating. If I have to consume something I just like water. I don't even understand why I hate it so much. I think I just don't like chewing anything in the morning. I thought I was just weird. And I also was told that was going to make it to where I couldn't lose weight. :(

For you specifically, I would try skipping breakfast for a week or so. BE SURE to eat all your calories by end of day so that you're still eating the same total amount of food as you are now, just don't eat breakfast and eat those calories later. See how you enjoy it. You'll probably love it.

This is good to know. I am learning through this journey as well and I have a friend doing Advocare. She stated that they told her if a person doesn't eat within 1 hour of waking up then the body starts to store calories and no one can lose. When I asked her how I was losing by missing breakfast most days, she just told me it was muscle then, not fat. People will believe what they want, but to inform others versus putting their ideas down gets me.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

Thank you very much again for all of the information! I must go and start on the writing!

Don't forget www.leangains.com...as Sidesteal linked earlier.
  • Sidesteal
    Got it! Thanks for posting. I am reading it all right now. I was ALWAYS told to eat breakfast, but for real.. I don't ever feel like eating breakfast. I HATE eating in the morning. It's aggravating. If I have to consume something I just like water. I don't even understand why I hate it so much. I think I just don't like chewing anything in the morning. I thought I was just weird. And I also was told that was going to make it to where I couldn't lose weight. :(

For you specifically, I would try skipping breakfast for a week or so. BE SURE to eat all your calories by end of day so that you're still eating the same total amount of food as you are now, just don't eat breakfast and eat those calories later. See how you enjoy it. You'll probably love it.
    She stated that they told her if a person doesn't eat within 1 hour of waking up then the body starts to store calories and no one can lose.

This is just basically nonsense, as you know.
  • Jotell

Don't forget www.leangains.com...as Sidesteal linked earlier.

I've got it written down. Thanks!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    The only time I find it to be very important to eat anything is before and after my workouts. After that, I eat whenever I want to. As long as I hit my macros (Fat, Carbs, Protein) targets for the day I am good.
  • Jotell
    The only time I find it to be very important to eat anything is before and after my workouts. After that, I eat whenever I want to. As long as I hit my macros (Fat, Carbs, Protein) targets for the day I am good.

I've been told high protein more specifically before and after a workout. What is your intake on that? Or is it the same?
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    People, please don't listen to this nonsense.
    A caloric deficit is how people lose weight, if you gained weight you were inaccurately counting calories. Plain and simple.
    There sure were tons of people in the holocaust who were still fat from starvation mode, or what about those starving kids on the world vision commercials...total fatties!

Gimme a break with the eat 2-3 hours every day small meal crap, the reason people lose weight doing that is because AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU ARE IN A CALORIC DEFICIT!

People choose their 'diets' around their lifestyle, I have lost 80 pounds and I have been able to eat popcorn, ice cream and hamburgers, etc and fit them into my daily caloric totals all while not eating breakfast! OH NO! **SARCASM ALERT**

You should probably do a little more research before preaching BS weight loss gospel on MFP.

OMG you can say what you need to say to her without being nasty you know.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    My trainer said not to waste time on before and after eating plans. Eat what you want or eat nothing, unless you are in excellent shape and are fine tuning in competition.However drink enough water to keep hydrated
  • AntWrig
    My trainer said not to waste time on before and after eating plans. Eat what you want or eat nothing, unless you are in excellent shape and are fine tuning in competition.However drink enough water to keep hydrated
    Your trainer is an idiot. If you eat what you want or eat nothing, you will never be in great shape.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Your trainer is an idiot. If you eat what you want or eat nothing, you will never be in great shape.

He meant before or after a workout.

I wonder who the idiot is?
  • AntWrig

I've been told high protein more specifically before and after a workout. What is your intake on that? Or is it the same?
    I like to have to to have an equal balance of protein/carb around 40/50 grams each in liquid form prior to working out. My post workout meal has the largest amount of carbs per day. You have to find what works for you.
  • AntWrig

He meant before or after a workout.

I wonder who the idiot is?
    Re-read what he said.

Please try again.
  • Jotell

I like to have to to have an equal balance of protein/carb around 40/50 grams each in liquid form prior to working out. My post workout meal has the largest amount of carbs per day. You have to find what works for you.

That's also what I have done and it works great! I also drink an amino boost before during and after my work out.
  • AntWrig

That's also what I have done and it works great! I also drink an amino boost before during and after my work out.
    I am assuming that amino boost are BCAA's. If you're consuming protein prior to working out, you don't need the amino boost. I would even argue that you don't need it after you workout either.
  • Jotell

I am assuming that amino boost are BCAA's. If you're consuming protein prior to working out, you don't need the amino boost. I would even argue that you don't need it after you workout either.

I don't have protein prior to working out mainly because, if I do I feel sick. Don't know why, but I do. So I eat some carrots or something light before going and drink my amino boost then the protein.