Places to visit - USA

Options
blazeybug87
blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
Am looking for somewhere a little different to visit, everyone I know from the UK seems to visit, LA, NYC, Vegas or Florida

Can anyone recommend somewhere? Louisiana is looking appealing at the mo...

EDIT: Have been to NYC and loved it - deffo going back! But now want to experience something that isn't quite so cosmo :)

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    That all depends on what you want to see and do. There's lots of beautiful places to go and have a great time.
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    What do you like to do?
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    What do you like to do?

I am totally flexible, I just like seeing different cultures is all :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin (sorry I'm from Texas so I'm a bit biased), Atlanta, Washington D.C., Boston (my personal fave up north), Denver.... We have such a diverse landscape.... both physically and culturally.... what would you like to see/experience?
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    What about New Orleans?
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    like the others asked - what do you want to do. the Grand Canyon is always a nice option, you can white water rafting, you can go to the Keys, etc.... give us more info - would be glad to help you out, I have traveled extensively in the US. another nice option is the Alaskan cruise...........
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    i've never been there myself but i would love to go to Yellowstone National Park
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Boston is a million times better than NYC, so there of course.

It really depends on what you're looking to do and see and the time of year. There are some really amazingly, breathtakingly beautiful parts of New York state (NOT the city!). Look into the Finger Lakes Region, but avoid the weekend of the NASCAR race in Watkins Glen in August. There are vineyards and wine tastings there, beautiful lakes, lots of apple orchards. Autumn is a great time of year for that.

I also really like Georgia -- Atlanta, Savannah, St. Marys, Athens ... But you would want to go there in the cooler months unless you're going to the beach.
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    What about New Orleans?

Having performed a quick google, you could be onto a winner there!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you want to visit the hustle and bustle of city life, hit NYC or vegas or chicago.

For nature, Niagra falls (highly recommended) or grand canyon
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma, I'll teach you to wrastle a hog.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    ARIZONA! You can find any type of natural beauty in this state if you go to the right place! We have Cayon de Chelly, The Grand Canyon, Kartchner Caverns. Boutique shopping in Sedona. High fashion in Scottsdale! Major League Baseball Spring Training!
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin (sorry I'm from Texas so I'm a bit biased), Atlanta, Washington D.C., Boston (my personal fave up north), Denver.... We have such a diverse landscape.... both physically and culturally.... what would you like to see/experience?

I would take Atlanta off the list. I live close to Atlanta and I'd rather go anywhere but there!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    For cities, I'd suggest Washington, D.C. (my hometown, so I'm biased), New York City, where you can pretty much walk everywhere, and LA because California really is awesome (make sure you go to Santa Monica and up the coast to San Bernardino).

As for country, the most beautiful landscapes I've seen are in West Virginia, Colorado and New Mexico/Arizona. FYI, if you go to the country, you're more likely to have to stay in the cheaper, fleabag motels/hotels.

If you come to Baltimore or DC, give me a shout & I'll show you around! Good luck.:drinker:
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do?

I am totally flexible, I just like seeing different cultures is all :)

The US has a TON of different cultures. Heck on the east coast, you can go through 5 just by visiting Washington DC, Philly, Jersey, NYC and Boston.

For a fast, upbeat time, your trendy places like you have mentioned are the places to go. Sure, I have been to all of them. But one of my favorite times is to travel to the western front. Staying in a place and living like a cowboy is one of the vacations I love the most. Probably because I go into NYC monthly (I actually get tired of being in the city - and traveling around it is not quite as easy and quick as people tend to think it is). Texas is a place I would recommend. You can visit a place like San Antonio, have the features of the big city, and venture out to see the life on the land. Colorado Springs CO is another (but there are forest fires there now...not the best place to go at the moment).
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    like the others asked - what do you want to do. the Grand Canyon is always a nice option, you can white water rafting, you can go to the Keys, etc.... give us more info - would be glad to help you out, I have traveled extensively in the US. another nice option is the Alaskan cruise...........

Might sounds a little unusual but for actual activities I don't care... gimme anything. I would be going alone so somewhere where you can meet real locals and just sorta blend in for a while

For some reason I have somewhere like Bon Temps from True Blood in my head.... and no I won't be expecting to meet Bill or Eric lol I just like the community style environment that is portrayed
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Am looking for somewhere a little different to visit, everyone I know from the UK seems to visit, LA, NYC, Vegas or Florida
    Well, those are all great places if you've never been here before. How long will you be here? Unfortunately, getting to different cities here is not as easy/cost effective as it is in Europe.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My family just took a road trip to Yellowstone, it was fantastic! I loved Cody, Wyoming!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Colorado! There's lots of beautiful places here, the scenery is gorgeous, and there's lots of fun things to do.