Places to visit - USA

Options

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Cool, I will look at Seattle, also New Orleans I think - the 'gater hunting suggestion is just too tempting to resist!

Yeah, even I'm tempted by the gator hunting!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Destinations for getting out and about....
    Big Sur, CA
    Grand Canyon, AZ
    Bryce Canyon, UT
    Yellowstone, WY
    Sedona, AZ

Enjoy the time...
    Napa/Santa Rosa, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    Reno, NV (Lake Tahoe)
    Seattle, WA
    Eugene, OR
    South Carolina
    Virginia
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am going to Yellowstone National Park this summer, my first visit and I am very excited.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Cool, I will look at Seattle, also New Orleans I think - the 'gater hunting suggestion is just too tempting to resist!

If you don't want heat, wait until winter for NO. Also, they're kinda a little bit far apart. Are you planning on flying between cities?

Yeah I imagine so :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If you don't want heat, wait until winter for NO. Also, they're kinda a little bit far apart. Are you planning on flying between cities?

Yeah I imagine so :)

You probably wouldn't want to do both in the same trip as it will be VERY COLD in Seattle at the same time it's bearably cool in NO. You might get lucky in October or early to mid-November and have perfect weather in both places. Or possibly in March or April, but only if next April is like this past April, which probably won't be the case.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I live in Utah and if you come in the spring or fall, it is usually great weather and gorgeous! They are so many different things to see and do. If you enjoy skiing and such, come in the winter. Check out places like Flaming Gorge, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Park City... these are places both in North and South Utah depending on where you choose to spend time. It's not just Mormon country! lol
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    San Antonio, Washington D.C., Denver
    I second these recommendations! San Antonio is a fantastic city with great BBQs, dance halls, and if you like music try to catch someone at John T. Floore's Country Store ;). Not in love with the actual city of Denver, but Colorado is one of the most beautiful states in the union. DC is always great. Nashville, TN is one of my fav. cities, too. The Gulf shore has a beauty all its own, as well. The northwest is also gorgeous (moreso than I had anticipated!). The Badlands of South Dakota are unlike anything else I've ever seen. If you were coming in the fall, I'd say you should check out upstate/Western New York. The whole Finger Lakes region is breathtaking in autumn (confession: it's home). Good luck! I'd love to know what you decide! :smile:

Hey k8blujay2 - I'm headed to Austin for the first time on Wednesday and am open to suggestions! ; )
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    On the other end of the spectrum - and the continent - New England states like Massachussets (which I've never learned to spell properly) - particularly near the coast. Rockport, Salem, Gloucester - all fabulous, and Boston is close by.

I adore New England, and Salem is a beautiful town, but I must say it was not what I expected and I spent one of the most boring days of my entire life there. If you go, find a reason other than the witch trial stuff.

You should have stopped into the Peabody Essex Museum while walking around downtown. Wonderful museum. I agree the witch stuff gets a little boring particularly since most of the places don't have anything unique that seperates them from the half a million old houses up and down the east coast. But Salem is a fun little city to go out in at night. The waterfront isn't bad either.

I like the Savannah, GA idea, though if you do that, I'd pair it with nearby Charleston, SC. I did Savannah earlier this year and didn't think there was much more to last me more than a weekend. Charleston is just as fun, with some similiarities but definitiely a different feel than Savannah.

I am surprised noone has mentioned Vermont. Amazing place to get away from everything, and plenty of little sidetrips nearby like hitting up Saratoga, NY.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    San Antonio, Washington D.C., Denver
    I second these recommendations! San Antonio is a fantastic city with great BBQs, dance halls, and if you like music try to catch someone at John T. Floore's Country Store ;). Not in love with the actual city of Denver, but Colorado is one of the most beautiful states in the union. DC is always great. Nashville, TN is one of my fav. cities, too. The Gulf shore has a beauty all its own, as well. The northwest is also gorgeous (moreso than I had anticipated!). The Badlands of South Dakota are unlike anything else I've ever seen. If you were coming in the fall, I'd say you should check out upstate/Western New York. The whole Finger Lakes region is breathtaking in autumn (confession: it's home). Good luck! I'd love to know what you decide! :smile:

Hey k8blujay2 - I'm headed to Austin for the first time on Wednesday and am open to suggestions! ; )

Hee hee... I'm more of a DFW girl myself... so I'm not too familiar with Austin, having only been there a couple of times myself... I know there are some Austinites that frequent the forums though that can give you better recommendations than myself.
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What about New Orleans?

I second this motion. We spent a week in New Orleans this last March and I can't wait to go back!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    On the other end of the spectrum - and the continent - New England states like Massachussets (which I've never learned to spell properly) - particularly near the coast. Rockport, Salem, Gloucester - all fabulous, and Boston is close by.

I adore New England, and Salem is a beautiful town, but I must say it was not what I expected and I spent one of the most boring days of my entire life there. If you go, find a reason other than the witch trial stuff.

You should have stopped into the Peabody Essex Museum while walking around downtown. Wonderful museum. I agree the witch stuff gets a little boring particularly since most of the places don't have anything unique that seperates them from the half a million old houses up and down the east coast. But Salem is a fun little city to go out in at night. The waterfront isn't bad either.

I like the Savannah, GA idea, though if you do that, I'd pair it with nearby Charleston, SC. I did Savannah earlier this year and didn't think there was much more to last me more than a weekend. Charleston is just as fun, with some similiarities but definitiely a different feel than Savannah.

I am surprised noone has mentioned Vermont. Amazing place to get away from everything, and plenty of little sidetrips nearby like hitting up Saratoga, NY.

Saratoga is a very cool little town.

There were a few things I missed seeing in Salem because by the time we realized they were there (the House of the Seven Gables, for instance), they were closed. Every "witch trial" thing was the same thing over and over and SO not interesting. The people in that town still feel guilty all these years later, though. That was quite clear!
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What about New Orleans?

I second this motion. We spent a week in New Orleans this last March and I can't wait to go back!

I've been looking at this and I think it's what I am going to go for! Works out pretty cheap as well :)
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'll echo Niagara Falls, both sides of the border. If you're on the NY side, take a look at some of the other stuff in Western NY as well, like Letchworth Park or the Adirondacks... absolutely beautiful in the summer and fall! If you stay around the Great Lakes, hit up Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH (right on Lake Erie) - it's the best amusement park EVER. Other great spots in the Northeast/East Coast are Boston, the area north of Boston (Salem, for example) and DC. Tons of culture, great food, unique experiences all around. A little farther south will get you to North Carolina, which is also a pretty great place - particularly the coastal areas.

Alternatively, head to the West Coast. The Bay Area/Northern California area rocks for some really great music, food, wine and culture. San Francisco is awesome - but it's not as warm as you might anticipate! SoCal might be fun, too, and I really want to hit San Diego myself... but haven't been there.

If you'd like something in-between, Chicago! Nothing like live blues music and authentic Chicago pizza... not to mention a Cubs game at Wrigley. Even if you're not a baseball person, it's a really cool experience.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    [qoute]
    hit up Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH (right on Lake Erie)
    [/quote]

Shhh!!!! It's already too busy!!! :wink:
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    [qoute]

>.>

Yes, point taken... but it is rather amazeballs. :laugh:
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just moved from San Antonio TX to Knoxville TN, San Antonio is awesome, the River Walk, Austin just up the road, Chorpus Christi Beach the other way, definitely beautiful, look up South Padre island its just as awesome as Florida.

But now I'm in TN, we have been up in the Smoky Mountains, it is the most amazing sights I've seen, Cable Cars take you right up, you can rent log cabins with hot tubs and stay in the mountains, there is so much to do its like a mini las vegas in the mountains, not as crazy but def a must
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Yosemite National Park...in the central california foothills....beautiful waterfalls, wonderful weather almost year round and tons of wildlife to see!!!
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    [qoute]

>.>

Yes, point taken... but it is rather amazeballs. :laugh:

I'm disappointed I didn't get to go this year (I haven't been since the Millenium Force opened... if that tells you anything)... we left the day it opened... :cry:
  • cathmcgarry
    cathmcgarry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chicago! Great shopping, restaurants, bars, museums, and a gorgeous lakefront.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    San Francisco!!! So much to do and you can do it in a few days and mostly without a car if you plan on staying in the city!

Nice and cool here - I don't like being hot either!!! Great food and bars!!!