Places to visit - USA

Options

Replies

• Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't do heat you should stay away from Louisiana till AT LEAST november.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    On the other end of the spectrum - and the continent - New England states like Massachussets (which I've never learned to spell properly) - particularly near the coast. Rockport, Salem, Gloucester - all fabulous, and Boston is close by.

I adore New England, and Salem is a beautiful town, but I must say it was not what I expected and I spent one of the most boring days of my entire life there. If you go, find a reason other than the witch trial stuff.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    suggest denver and estes park and steamboat springs/winter park, CO

moab and salt lake city, Utah

Monterrey, CA

Cheyenne, WY (landscapes)

nashville, TN

Madison, WI (gorgeous)

Cape Cod, MA
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Might sounds a little unusual but for actual activities I don't care... gimme anything. I would be going alone so somewhere where you can meet real locals and just sorta blend in for a while

For some reason I have somewhere like Bon Temps from True Blood in my head.... and no I won't be expecting to meet Bill or Eric lol I just like the community style environment that is portrayed

Further to the above people keep asking about activities... erm

1. Beaches - no no no no no! Sand, saltwater - eugh! This girl does not do heat!
    2. Bit of scenery is nice but if I had to spend all day every day walking around looking at rocks I would be bored
    3. Friendly locals - as I said before I would be on my own so a real friendly environment is what I am looking for, the sort where you can just meet people and hang out with them for the day, then the following day meet someone new and do the same
    4. Can be a bit of a thrillseeker at times?
    5. Budget - not really an issue
    6. Canada - no for now, just because I have family there and am in the process of planning a visit to them on a different occasion

Any help?

Then you might want to stay away for a while... we are hitting close to 40C (100F is ~37C for reference) weather around here. :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    On the other end of the spectrum - and the continent - New England states like Massachussets (which I've never learned to spell properly) - particularly near the coast. Rockport, Salem, Gloucester - all fabulous, and Boston is close by.

I adore New England, and Salem is a beautiful town, but I must say it was not what I expected and I spent one of the most boring days of my entire life there. If you go, find a reason other than the witch trial stuff.

I do too... I'm a family girl (must live relatively close to family)... and the Boston area is the only place I would live not near family... I am so disappointed that we couldn't go camping/rafting and what not up in New Hampshire when my (now) husband and I were interning for the summer up there.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Might sounds a little unusual but for actual activities I don't care... gimme anything. I would be going alone so somewhere where you can meet real locals and just sorta blend in for a while

For some reason I have somewhere like Bon Temps from True Blood in my head.... and no I won't be expecting to meet Bill or Eric lol I just like the community style environment that is portrayed

1. Beaches - no no no no no! Sand, saltwater - eugh! This girl does not do heat!

Not all beaches in the US are sandy or tropical. Just FYI. Most of the oceanside areas on the northwest coast are rocky, scenic, and cold.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Whoops... forgot about the fires there.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    The town I currently live in - Charlottesville, VA - is nice, and historic (American historic, not European historic. People here think 200 years old is old... was even more funny to me when I came back to the US after living in Rome), if you're interested in that. It was basically home to 3 presidents: Jefferson, Madison, and Monroe, and you can get tours of their houses. It's also close to Shenandoah National Park, and only a couple hours from DC (a must-see city). Just wait until fall, because it can get kinda hot here. People here don't think so, but I'm a northern girl (yes, go to Niagara Falls - that's my neck of the woods), so I tend to roast here!

Oh, this is also a college town, so lots of fun things to do for us younger folk!
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For nature, Niagara Falls (highly recommended) or grand canyon

It's pretty built-up there, so the only "nature" you'll see is the falls themselves. But it is a beautiful area, except the American side isn't great. If you go, go to the Canadian side and also then visit the Botanical Gardens and the Butterfly Museum.

And if you're going to be in the Buffalo area, anyway, the Buffalo Museum of Science and the Albright-Knox Art Gallery are worth seeing. If you're there in the summer, Shakespeare in Delaware Park is a lot of fun. It's free (though they "pass the hat" for donations at intermission). You can bring a blanket or chairs and a picnic basket with whatever you like and just enjoy the show. Delaware Park is gorgeous. And not far from there is the Darwin-Martin House, which is the first house Frank Lloyd-Wright designed on his own and not for an architecture firm. It's either finished being restored or is in the end phase of restoration. You should call ahead and make reservations for a tour if you decide to do that. And the Buffalo Zoo is practically across the street from it, so you could do all three in an afternoon.

If you do Niagara Falls, definitely do not do the American side. There's hardly anything there! The Buffalo Zoo is cool if you want to see a lot of empty cages... Love my city but don't think it's a good tourist spot at all, not much fun to do.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Usually I would point you towards Colorado, with the beautiful mountains and a million different outdoorsy things to do and most of the state being incredibly fitness/nutrition healthy, but apparently, our entire state is on fire this month.

not the ENTIRE state...lol...but several parts, yes! even with the devastation, there is still some much to see and enjoy!
  • rml_16
    Options

2. Bit of scenery is nice but if I had to spend all day every day walking around looking at rocks I would be bored
    3. Friendly locals - as I said before I would be on my own so a real friendly environment is what I am looking for, the sort where you can just meet people and hang out with them for the day, then the following day meet someone new and do the same
    6. Canada - no for now, just because I have family there and am in the process of planning a visit to them on a different occasion

Any help?
    [/quote]

Finding people to hang out with for a day is more about personality than location. If you have the personality to attract people that way, you will no matter where you go.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Any help?

So we're looking for -
    temperate climate on the cool side
    landlocked
    at least medium-sized city
    a bit of nature but more 'city quirky' than nature's beauty

I would look to the Northeast, West Coast, Pacific Northwest and Upper Midwest.
    Seattle/Portland (great shows/art/funky culture) would seem like a good fit for you. Funky with a hint of nature at the edges. Not so much sun that you'll melt (haha little joke there for the PNWers) and some serious good times after dark.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Michigan is beautiful in the summer. . .Sleeping bear dunes was rated most beautiful place in America by Good Morning America. . .here is a link.

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/index.htm
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    Massachusetts is always nice.. we have beaches on the cape, ptown is always a fun place to hang, we have a great city, boston with a lot to see, musaams, aquarium, shopping, history. Salem, another great historical place to visit. if you like quirky that is a great place you can head over to the other side and hit up the many cultural events we have in western mass, from concerts to plays to just small town hanging around. the Amherst/umass area has all sorts of stuff going on with a very diverse cultural of people .. from students to old hippies..
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    If it's pristine, beautiful scenery you're looking for I can't recommend Glacier Nat'l Park enough, it's absolutely gorgeous. There's not a whole lot of cell/wi-fi service up there (there was none at the place we stayed) but it's so beautiful. Yellowstone is really cool as well, but there are a ton of tourists and it's really commercialized. Grand Canyon, especially if you hike down into it (just be sure to prepare properly if you do.) It's hummingbird season right now in southern Arizona , there are canyons and bed & breakfasts that cater to the people that want to see the migration. San Antonio is a fun city, Savannah is great, San Francisco can be as well. It really just depends on what you want to do with your time. Mostly what I would say is that wherever you go, get off the beaten path. Don't go to the chain restaurants, find the small, locals only places. There are some fantastic little stops all over the US that don't necessarily make it into the big tourist books, you just have to look for them.
  • rml_16
    Options
    For nature, Niagara Falls (highly recommended) or grand canyon

It's pretty built-up there, so the only "nature" you'll see is the falls themselves. But it is a beautiful area, except the American side isn't great. If you go, go to the Canadian side and also then visit the Botanical Gardens and the Butterfly Museum.

And if you're going to be in the Buffalo area, anyway, the Buffalo Museum of Science and the Albright-Knox Art Gallery are worth seeing. If you're there in the summer, Shakespeare in Delaware Park is a lot of fun. It's free (though they "pass the hat" for donations at intermission). You can bring a blanket or chairs and a picnic basket with whatever you like and just enjoy the show. Delaware Park is gorgeous. And not far from there is the Darwin-Martin House, which is the first house Frank Lloyd-Wright designed on his own and not for an architecture firm. It's either finished being restored or is in the end phase of restoration. You should call ahead and make reservations for a tour if you decide to do that. And the Buffalo Zoo is practically across the street from it, so you could do all three in an afternoon.

If you do Niagara Falls, definitely do not do the American side. There's hardly anything there! The Buffalo Zoo is cool if you want to see a lot of empty cages... Love my city but don't think it's a good tourist spot at all, not much fun to do.

Really? You haven't gotten out much, then. Did you even read my post? I listed a ton of things to do and didn't even start on the night life or the independent art galleries or Lake Erie and Lake Ontario or the Sterling Renassaince (sp?) Fair that's only a couple hours' drive away or the incredible music scene or Allentown, just to name a few. Buffalo is teeming with culture.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For scenery and beauty, Rapid City area. You have the Black Hills, The Wastelands, Devil's Tower is nearby, Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mtn, and the National Park out there.

THIS^^^ South Dakota is gorgeous! I used to live there, and I miss it!
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Any help?

So we're looking for -
    temperate climate on the cool side
    landlocked
    at least medium-sized city
    a bit of nature but more 'city quirky' than nature's beauty

I would look to the Northeast, West Coast, Pacific Northwest and Upper Midwest.
    Seattle/Portland (great shows/art/funky culture) would seem like a good fit for you. Funky with a hint of nature at the edges. Not so much sun that you'll melt (haha little joke there for the PNWers) and some serious good times after dark.

Cool, I will look at Seattle, also New Orleans I think - the 'gater hunting suggestion is just too tempting to resist!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Did anybody mention the Grand Canyon? Beautiful place, especially if you are not afraid of heights. California is awesome, too. You can go to both of these places in one trip, too.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Cool, I will look at Seattle, also New Orleans I think - the 'gater hunting suggestion is just too tempting to resist!

If you don't want heat, wait until winter for NO. Also, they're kinda a little bit far apart. Are you planning on flying between cities?

Edit:
    Really? You haven't gotten out much, then. Did you even read my post? I listed a ton of things to do and didn't even start on the night life or the independent art galleries or Lake Erie and Lake Ontario or the Sterling Renassaince (sp?) Fair that's only a couple hours' drive away or the incredible music scene or Allentown, just to name a few. Buffalo is teeming with culture.

I always take people across the boarder, too. Niagara Falls, Canada is just a much better city. There's a reason I moved...