Places to visit - USA

Options

Replies

• llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Consider Oregon and Washington. The major cities of Seattle,WA, and Portland, OR are full of diverse activities, and each geographically located within a short (1 hour +/-), drive to either ocean beaches or snow-capped mountains. Drive a couple of hours east and be in the desert. No lack of activities or experiences!
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma, I'll teach you to wrastle a hog.

HAHAHA That sounds EPIC!
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Boston is a million times better than NYC, so there of course.

It really depends on what you're looking to do and see and the time of year. There are some really amazingly, breathtakingly beautiful parts of New York state (NOT the city!). Look into the Finger Lakes Region, but avoid the weekend of the NASCAR race in Watkins Glen in August. There are vineyards and wine tastings there, beautiful lakes, lots of apple orchards. Autumn is a great time of year for that.

I also really like Georgia -- Atlanta, Savannah, St. Marys, Athens ... But you would want to go there in the cooler months unless you're going to the beach.

I agree! I loved Boston! It's so pretty and lots to do there! If you go, look for the duck ride or something like that.

I also love Savannah, GA...about the only place in GA worth a **** imo.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma, I'll teach you to wrastle a hog.

Are you making fun of my great state? :huh:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask why no one has mentioned San Francisco and then I realized most likely because it sucks.

It's an awesome place to live but overrated as a tourist destination.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bay area/San Fran
    Miami
    New Orleans
    Vegas

You'll find everything your looking for and more.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    New Orleans and Savannah, Georgia would be my two top pics for somewhere a little unconventional but interesting. Savannah is gorgeous, classic deep southern culture and food, and a fun little city.

+1 more also for Austin, Texas. San Antonio is a fun town too with the Riverwalk area.

If you're wanting something beachy, San Diego is beautiful.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin (sorry I'm from Texas so I'm a bit biased), Atlanta, Washington D.C., Boston (my personal fave up north), Denver.... We have such a diverse landscape.... both physically and culturally.... what would you like to see/experience?
    Being from Texas, I agree with this! Check out the Texas hill country (Austin area). It's beautiful! There are tons of wineries,and bed and breakfasts. Have dinner at the Oasis on Lake Travis and enjoy a margarita while watching the boats and enjoying the beautiful sun sets. Stay in New Braunfels and check out Schiltterbahn-the most awesome waterpark you'll ever visit! Then spend a day floating down either the Comal or Guadalupe rivers.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Southern California is beautiful! People bash L.A., but there is so much here. You have beaches, gorgeous mountains and deserts all in just a short drive away!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    What about New Orleans?

Having performed a quick google, you could be onto a winner there!

new Orleans is great - but not as good since katrina came through. Bourbon street isn't all that it is advertised, but can still be fun. the food is fantastic!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For nature, Niagara Falls (highly recommended) or grand canyon

It's pretty built-up there, so the only "nature" you'll see is the falls themselves. But it is a beautiful area, except the American side isn't great. If you go, go to the Canadian side and also then visit the Botanical Gardens and the Butterfly Museum.

And if you're going to be in the Buffalo area, anyway, the Buffalo Museum of Science and the Albright-Knox Art Gallery are worth seeing. If you're there in the summer, Shakespeare in Delaware Park is a lot of fun. It's free (though they "pass the hat" for donations at intermission). You can bring a blanket or chairs and a picnic basket with whatever you like and just enjoy the show. Delaware Park is gorgeous. And not far from there is the Darwin-Martin House, which is the first house Frank Lloyd-Wright designed on his own and not for an architecture firm. It's either finished being restored or is in the end phase of restoration. You should call ahead and make reservations for a tour if you decide to do that. And the Buffalo Zoo is practically across the street from it, so you could do all three in an afternoon.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Am looking for somewhere a little different to visit, everyone I know from the UK seems to visit, LA, NYC, Vegas or Florida

Can anyone recommend somewhere? Louisiana is looking appealing at the mo...

I moved to NYC from Louisiana... You werent planning on going to Lousie in July - September were you? If so... please be prepared for vietnam type tropical humidity/scorching heat. Anytime other than that though - is one of the most culturally fun places Ive ever lived.

*snuggles memories of home*
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Go north..to Canada. Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax. if you want the long trip, nothing beats Banff National Park, or Jasper National Park, and then there is Vancouver.

Bigger land mass than the USA, and 1/10th the population. Plus, we spell words like "honour" and "neighbour" correctly, and the Queen is still on our money!

Our currency is pretty much at par with the US dollar, so it's a great time to visit!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You could do Cleveland and Buffalo and Pittsburgh as a trip. yeah I know there are not always great things in any single place, but we have The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, we have great food in Cleveland. Buffalo is Niagara Falls, and Pittsburgh, .. well you can make it Chicago instead of Pittsburgh and do the Magnificent Mile.

There's lots to do all over. Think Cedar Point and tons of fun!!
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    Best trip I've ever taken was to the Great Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN. The trip involved a lot of hiking to waterfalls and then local shopping - so many interesting shops. Second best trip - Whitefish, MT, to see Glacier National Park. (see a theme here) So it really just depends on you. I found both to be amazing - the nature views were second to none, the shopping was convenient, the food was marvelous and the evenings were quiet. My next big adventure will be the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone. Then the Canadian Rockies or Alaska!
  • denetta24
    denetta24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just came back from Put-In-Bay, OH, which is an island on Lake Erie. Loved it. There are bed and breakfast places, hotels, and many things to do along the shores.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    Being from the UK you might enjoy the rocky Mountains and actually the Canadian Rocky Mountains are even better. Banff is gorgeous.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index.aspx
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Wayy too many options! I love Boston and NYC! I've heard great things about Austin, tx and Denver, co.

I like places that have it all. Beautiful scenery, history, city life, and culture.

St Louis and Chicago are nice.

Good luck picking. There are far too many possibilities!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

close to Philadelphia (1 1/4 hours), NYC (3 hours), Washington DC (2 hours). Beautiful countryside, great restaurants, outlet shopping, amusement parks. And, I live here!!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it really depends on what you like to do. There are places that are one big happy party happening (Vegas and New Oreleans to name a few) and places that are so fantastically beautiful you can't believe your eyes. Nothing compares to the Grand Canyon for beauty. I literally dropped to my knees when I first laid eyes on it because pictures you see of it do not prepare you for the vastness of it. And I've been to Vegas. If you are wanting a tast of American culture, New Orleans is a city all to its own. Not like any other place in the US. Google cajun culture, that should give you some idea. But it is not typical of the US as a whole.