How do I ask my Uncle if he will borrow me money?

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
My boyfriend and I have been in a tight money situation for the last couple months, just barely skimming by till our next paychecks, paying rent late, and my boyfriend having to pay for my half of the rent. I've had my job for almost a month, but it's only 15 hours a week and I have to drive 30 minutes there and back! So I'm spending a lot of my income on gas. I've been searching for a second job, and just had an interview on Friday.

This month, my boyfriend can't pay my part of the rent and hardly his own because he has insurance and car payments to make. I'm tired of the stress from not having enough money for my necessities and I really need help financially.

About a year and a half ago my Uncle was driving me home from a family event and he told me that if I ever needed to borrow money, I could just ask him for help. So now I need money but I don't know how to ask him! Help!?

Replies

• KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just say "Hey, do you remember that time you told me if I needed money, you'd borrow it to me? We're in a tight spot, can you help out?".
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Twitchy_46d91a_2042890.gif
    Now that's out of the way (it's lend!)...

Just be upfront and honest. Tell him you need help, or you'll have to skip rent this month.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    If he brought it up on his own I think it's fine to go ahead and tell him that you would really appreciate taking him up on his offer. Keep in mind he may not be in the same financial position as he was and try to come up with a second option.

Also, not to be a grammar nerd, but it's lend, not borrow, in this case.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Just say "Hey, do you remember that time you told me if I needed money, you'd borrow it to me? We're in a tight spot, can you help out?".

This
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    send him a link to this post ;)
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Never borrow money from a relative. I suggest you find other means some how some way.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Never borrow money from a relative. I suggest you find other means some how some way.

I can't imagine what that would be....
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How many hours a week do you work? If it's less than 80, get a part time job.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    How do I ask my Uncle if he will *loan* me money?
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options

^^^^This^^^^ And please don't use the 'I can't find a job' line. You could babysit if nothing else, assuming you are honest, reliable and dependable. If you have those qualities and have any gumption whatsoever, you'll have a clientele built up in no time and be able to make quite a killing. If you don't have those qualities, or you're waiting for the perfect job that pays great but doesn't interfere with your life or require much effort, well good luck to ya...
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Options
    Maybe you could get a job as a Michelle Williams impersonator. :drinker:
  • megmay2591
    Options

^^^^This^^^^ And please don't use the 'I can't find a job' line. You could babysit if nothing else, assuming you are honest, reliable and dependable. If you have those qualities and have any gumption whatsoever, you'll have a clientele built up in no time and be able to make quite a killing. If you don't have those qualities, or you're waiting for the perfect job that pays great but doesn't interfere with your life or require much effort, well good luck to ya...

Did you not read my original post?! Wtf?! I said I was looking for a second job, and just had an interview on Friday. I'm not some freeloader, I'm a broke college student!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    ↑↑↑ This! It will effect your relationship - he will no longer be your uncle but the guy you owe money to. Anytime he sees you, if you happen to have a new outfit, new jewelry, or be eating out at a nice restaurant, he will be thinking, "WOW! They have enough money for that, but cannot pay me back."
  • megmay2591
    Options
    ↑↑↑ This! It will effect your relationship - he will no longer be your uncle but the guy you owe money to. Anytime he sees you, if you happen to have a new outfit, new jewelry, or be eating out at a nice restaurant, he will be thinking, "WOW! They have enough money for that, but cannot pay me back."

Well, I guess I'll just move my stuff to the street now, because I need to pay rent somehow!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    That's crap. I'm assuming the OP will pay him back ASAP rather than frittering away the money she owes. Just be quick about paying him back and he'll respect you for it.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have never once lended money to family or friends. I have several times given money to family and friends in a tight situation, but in order to do so I had to know that they were struggling. Does your uncle know you are in trouble financially? If not, start there. Call him or go see him and say, my boyfriend has been paying my rent and he can't this month. I am looking for a second job but I feel very sunk right now. If he does know that you are in a tight spot then he probably can't help. If so, I suggest donating plasma, walking the highway and picking up cans to turn in at a local recycling place, and paying what you can on your rent along with presenting a plan on how you will get the rest (the second job and pawning possesions.) These are all things that I did during college to make ends meet. Sorry you are in a bad spot now, but try to stay positive and hopeful.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Well, I guess I'll just move my stuff to the street now, because I need to pay rent somehow!

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Just something similar that happened in my family and the people avoid each other now. Good luck.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lend any family or friend money EVER again. I lent my sister 2000 so she can pay her tuition bill. I am still waiting for it, and I don't talk to her anymore and we live in the same house! Be careful before you proceed is my warning....Family and money do not mix unless its a gift!
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Borrowing money from family can become a bad situation. That said, I have had to do it and I have payed the money back. I have also been on the lending side and was paid back. I went into it never expecting to be paid back and that was fine. I was pleasantly surprised when it happened.

If you ask for money I suggest you have a plan on how much money you need to get you through your rough spot.and what you are going to spend it on. I would also suggest you provide a payback plan in advance. Asking for just enough money to pay your share of the rent and having no plan to pay next months rent will leave you in the same position next month.

Oh.. you might want to consider different living arrangements if you guys can't afford rent.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Options
    That's crap. I'm assuming the OP will pay him back ASAP rather than frittering away the money she owes. Just be quick about paying him back and he'll respect you for it.

What do you know about it? You dont even know how much money she needs to borrow. What if she needs 1,500 dollars? She works 15 hrs a week and they cant make ends meet but shes somehow supposed to just give the money back in no time? I dont think so pal.