How do I ask my Uncle if he will borrow me money?

Options

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you ask for money I suggest you have a plan on how much money you need to get you through your rough spot.and what you are going to spend it on. I would also suggest you provide a payback plan in advance. Asking for just enough money to pay your share of the rent and having no plan to pay next months rent will leave you in the same position next month.

Oh.. you might want to consider different living arrangements if you guys can't afford rent.

I was going to come up with some type of plan for how much I need. I do have a plan for next month, which is having a second job and getting caught up from being in a tough spot.

Yes, find different living arrangements, that makes sense?! Wtf, really? I've never in my life had problems paying my rent before now. People get caught in jobs that don't pay well or that I must spend 1/3 of my paycheck on gas. I don't want to be in this situation, but right now I'm really behind.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Never borrow money from a relative. I suggest you find other means some how some way.
    ↑↑↑ This! It will effect your relationship - he will no longer be your uncle but the guy you owe money to. Anytime he sees you, if you happen to have a new outfit, new jewelry, or be eating out at a nice restaurant, he will be thinking, "WOW! They have enough money for that, but cannot pay me back."
    That's crap. I'm assuming the OP will pay him back ASAP rather than frittering away the money she owes. Just be quick about paying him back and he'll respect you for it.

What do you know about it? You dont even know how much money she needs to borrow. What if she needs 1,500 dollars? She works 15 hrs a week and they cant make ends meet but shes somehow supposed to just give the money back in no time? I dont think so pal.

I don't need $1500. I only need $150. I'm making some money, I just don't have enough!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Never borrow money from a relative. I suggest you find other means some how some way.
    ↑↑↑ This! It will effect your relationship - he will no longer be your uncle but the guy you owe money to. Anytime he sees you, if you happen to have a new outfit, new jewelry, or be eating out at a nice restaurant, he will be thinking, "WOW! They have enough money for that, but cannot pay me back."
    That's crap. I'm assuming the OP will pay him back ASAP rather than frittering away the money she owes. Just be quick about paying him back and he'll respect you for it.

What do you know about it? You dont even know how much money she needs to borrow. What if she needs 1,500 dollars? She works 15 hrs a week and they cant make ends meet but shes somehow supposed to just give the money back in no time? I dont think so pal.
    ASAP is just that...as soon as possible; not a fixed time constraint. Use good sense when you borrow money from ANYONE - pay it back, monthly if you have to borrow a lot of money, but don't expect anyone to forget about their money. I've borrowed and loaned to and from friends and family and never had any problems because I trusted people to pay me back, and they did, and the same goes for when I've borrowed.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You're extremely defensive when someone gives a suggestion you don't like. That won't go over well with the uncle if you start the drama queen "I might as well move to the streets now" stuff with him if he dares make a suggestion.

There are a million ways to make/save money. Sometimes it's not about making more but spending less. Don't eat out. Set the thermostat higher, unplug things, turn things off, cancel cable, don't spend money on frivolous things like hair and nails, etc. You can also make money by selling things you already own on Ebay or in a garage sale. Look for a plasma center and sell your blood. Babysit. Pet sit. Mow lawns, walk dogs, weed yards, clean houses/businesses, tutor, type papers, etc.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    You're extremely defensive when someone gives a suggestion you don't like. That won't go over well with the uncle if you start the drama queen "I might as well move to the streets now" stuff with him if he dares make a suggestion.

There are a million ways to make/save money. Sometimes it's not about making more but spending less. Don't eat out. Set the thermostat higher, unplug things, turn things off, cancel cable, don't spend money on frivolous things like hair and nails, etc. You can also make money by selling things you already own on Ebay or in a garage sale. Look for a plasma center and sell your blood. Babysit. Pet sit. Mow lawns, walk dogs, weed yards, clean houses/businesses, tutor, type papers, etc.

The people I am "defensive" to are saying to not ask for money. The title of the thread asks how to ask him.
    I don't spend on hair or nails, I don't have cable, or even an antenna for tv. I have some old lady dishes to sell. Plasma probably won't be a good idea considering I work a very physical job and the only time I am near a Plasma center is when I am going to and from work. I haven't searched for any of the other work and I should, but I would also like to just have my thread question answered and not try to have my mind changed.

Thanks!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    You've obviously started doing some of the right things.
    Looking for a second job is obvious, but the economy SUCKS. With a college diploma and 4.0 GPA, I couldn't find a job for 4 months after graduation either. And then, it was still a part time job (although I'm getting 30+ hrs a week now so it's all good). Anyway. I know how hard looking for a job can be.

Make sure you're applying to all jobs. Fast food. Retail. Customer service. Libraries. Yeah, the ones that pay minimum wage - better than nothing!
    See if you can babysit. Look after animals. Dog walk. Cleaning for a friend?

Have a garage sale if you have some extra items.

Can you do crafts? You can always try to sell some of your crafts as well.

Have you thought about moving into a cheaper place? Even if it's a really small place, if you can afford it between the two of you, it's better than nothing.

Do you keep in touch with your parents? Can they help you ask your uncle at all?
    How much are you hoping to ask your uncle for?
    Can you ask your parents for anything?
    WHEN you ask your uncle for a bit of money, let him know that you will pay it back ASAP.
    Let's say you're asking for $500 (I don't know the amount, so I'm just saying this.) When you have an extra $50, send it to him asap. That way he will know you're serious about paying it off and it will make you feel better too, trust me.

I had to borrow money from my parents, I borrowed $400 I believe. I paid them off $50 by $50 whenever I could. It made me feel better to owe them $50 less. They kept saying "are you sure you can afford it?" I made sure I could, but I wanted to pay back what I could!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    And if you would all really like to know, I'll tell you how much I make right now! I make $10.50 an hour and work about 15 hours per week. My first check was only $89 because it was short training days. My second check was $125 and my third was $135. I drive 25 miles to get to the job because it was the first place to call me back, and I needed a job. So since I've started I have made $349. I spend $30-$40 a week on gas so about $135 towards gas, then groceries for my boyfriend and I $100, then utility bill $25, and then not have enough money to buy deodorant and taking toilet paper from random stores. Trying to save up what's left over for rent, which is $235 for my portion. I want to make my own money, I'm just considering options in case I really NEED the money. I still have two weeks till rent is due (at the latest) so I could get another paycheck from my new job, in the meantime I'll search for something.

I'm considering my options people.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    You've obviously started doing some of the right things.
    Looking for a second job is obvious, but the economy SUCKS. With a college diploma and 4.0 GPA, I couldn't find a job for 4 months after graduation either. And then, it was still a part time job (although I'm getting 30+ hrs a week now so it's all good). Anyway. I know how hard looking for a job can be.

Make sure you're applying to all jobs. Fast food. Retail. Customer service. Libraries. Yeah, the ones that pay minimum wage - better than nothing!
    See if you can babysit. Look after animals. Dog walk. Cleaning for a friend?

Have a garage sale if you have some extra items.

Can you do crafts? You can always try to sell some of your crafts as well.

Have you thought about moving into a cheaper place? Even if it's a really small place, if you can afford it between the two of you, it's better than nothing.

Do you keep in touch with your parents? Can they help you ask your uncle at all?
    How much are you hoping to ask your uncle for?
    Can you ask your parents for anything?
    WHEN you ask your uncle for a bit of money, let him know that you will pay it back ASAP.
    Let's say you're asking for $500 (I don't know the amount, so I'm just saying this.) When you have an extra $50, send it to him asap. That way he will know you're serious about paying it off and it will make you feel better too, trust me.

I had to borrow money from my parents, I borrowed $400 I believe. I paid them off $50 by $50 whenever I could. It made me feel better to owe them $50 less. They kept saying "are you sure you can afford it?" I made sure I could, but I wanted to pay back what I could!

I wish I could borrow from my parents, but they are also in a tight financial situation right now.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am going through the same thing...kinda. I was on ssi disability since I was 20 years old and it was terminated 7 years later after my husband came home from Iraq in 2010 when he got military unemployment so social security said I lost it because I am married and they go by his income. He got laid off last monday as an apprentice plumber and all the apprentices did too cause work was slowing down. His unemployment (which is less than half what he was getting) doesn't kick in til the 16th. His last check from his former job will just cover July's rent. We are rationing our food but my sis offered to send us a wamart gift card for food so the money we have left can go to other bills (utilities). I understand what you are going through and how the economy sucks. It's quick to judge before walking in their shoes. Good luck with the job search. Just be honest with your uncle and ask him if you could borrow some money, he's the one that offered.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    fulltime work is 40 hours per week

and you are working 15

why aren't you working fulltime?
  • foxyforce
    Options
    And if you would all really like to know, I'll tell you how much I make right now! I make $10.50 an hour and work about 15 hours per week. My first check was only $89 because it was short training days. My second check was $125 and my third was $135. I drive 25 miles to get to the job because it was the first place to call me back, and I needed a job. So since I've started I have made $349. I spend $30-$40 a week on gas so about $135 towards gas, then groceries for my boyfriend and I $100, then utility bill $25, and then not have enough money to buy deodorant and taking toilet paper from random stores. Trying to save up what's left over for rent, which is $235 for my portion. I want to make my own money, I'm just considering options in case I really NEED the money. I still have two weeks till rent is due (at the latest) so I could get another paycheck from my new job, in the meantime I'll search for something.

sorry, i didn't read this. i wish you the best.

if you are looking for another job, i would be happy to look over your resume. i am a pro and have given workshops on job search, resume development, and mock interviews.

just keep at it. finding a fulltieme job is a fulltime job in itself. i am also underemployed, so i hear ya.
  • foxyforce
    Options

The people I am "defensive" to are saying to not ask for money. The title of the thread asks how to ask him.
    I don't spend on hair or nails, I don't have cable, or even an antenna for tv. I have some old lady dishes to sell. Plasma probably won't be a good idea considering I work a very physical job and the only time I am near a Plasma center is when I am going to and from work. I haven't searched for any of the other work and I should, but I would also like to just have my thread question answered and not try to have my mind changed.

Thanks!

i wouldn't ask until you have sent out at LEAST 20 resumes. this won't take you more than a day. and express to your uncle all the places you have looked at.

if i asked my dad for money, he would probably laugh at me. my family will see me on the street, like fools, before helping me out with something. depend on yourself first.

but if you are going to ask, show him proof that you are putting in effort.
  • OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just be straight with him, simply ask if he can borrow you some money to pay your rent, im sure he will be more than happy to help out rather than see you on the streets.
    Ive lent from my family in the past to pay my rent when ive been a bit stuck & they are always willing to help.:smile:

I think he will maybe a bit upset that you didnt go to him sooner, just ask & everything will be fine!
    Good luck with the job hunt btw!
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options

and you are working 15

I work at a place where I am at the mercy of our HR scheduling personnel and our corporate headquarters. I have nearly open availability (just not before 430 during the week to avoid a giant daycare bill), and have told them that I am willing and would prefer to work at least 35-40 hours per week. Our staffing is based on the financial forecast for the day/week, and since January I have only been scheduled 5-19 hours per week. It's easy to say that someone isn't doing enough for themselves, but sometimes things are out of their hands. And in this economy, it isn't the simplest thing in the world to get a job in the first place. I applied everywhere that was hiring evening/weekend hour positions (retail, fast food, you name it) and it still took me nearly 4 months to secure this job. Just my 2 cents.

OP, good luck to you. I feel your pain.
  • foxyforce
    Options

and you are working 15

I work at a place where I am at the mercy of our HR scheduling personnel and our corporate headquarters. I have nearly open availability (just not before 430 during the week to avoid a giant daycare bill), and have told them that I am willing and would prefer to work at least 35-40 hours per week. Our staffing is based on the financial forecast for the day/week, and since January I have only been scheduled 5-19 hours per week. It's easy to say that someone isn't doing enough for themselves, but sometimes things are out of their hands. And in this economy, it isn't the simplest thing in the world to get a job in the first place. I applied everywhere that was hiring evening/weekend hour positions (retail, fast food, you name it) and it still took me nearly 4 months to secure this job. Just my 2 cents.

OP, good luck to you. I feel your pain.

i never said it was easy, i too am underemployed

however, i took into consideration that she might have some kind of disability where she can't work fulltime. not everyone can. she needs to look. i have a job seeker sense, and it sounds like she has just started. 15 hours is not sufficent. i work 16 hours a week and i am fully aware that if i am not looking for work like a maniac i will end up in her shoes, and not everyone can just ask family for money.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you ask for money I suggest you have a plan on how much money you need to get you through your rough spot.and what you are going to spend it on. I would also suggest you provide a payback plan in advance. Asking for just enough money to pay your share of the rent and having no plan to pay next months rent will leave you in the same position next month.

Oh.. you might want to consider different living arrangements if you guys can't afford rent.

I was going to come up with some type of plan for how much I need. I do have a plan for next month, which is having a second job and getting caught up from being in a tough spot.

Yes, find different living arrangements, that makes sense?! Wtf, really? I've never in my life had problems paying my rent before now. People get caught in jobs that don't pay well or that I must spend 1/3 of my paycheck on gas. I don't want to be in this situation, but right now I'm really behind.

You really do get defensive on just about anything anyone tells you that you do not like. I didn't specifically say *find* different living arrangements but it does make sense if you only take home $135 per week. My suggestion was to consider different living arrangements which would be to add another roommate if you had the space.

Your plan is based on someone giving you a second job which may or may not happen. Somehow you are going to get a second job in 30 days in this economy when 8%+ of the population can't get a first job. That is not a plan. You need to build a plan based on what you have now. Not what you want to have later. Oh and stop making excuses. No one wants to be in your situation. No one cares that you have to drive 30 minutes to get to work and you have to spend 1/3 of your crap pay on gas. You made the choice to take that job which was the right choice until you find something better.

Now here is your advice...

Figure out how much you are going to be short on rent for the next 3 months if you don't get a second job. Ask your uncle for that much and tell him you will give him x% out of your pay check when you get your second job until he is paid off. If you don't get a second job in 3 months *find* different living arrangements because you are living beyond your means.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to second what someone else mentioned about babysitting. Are you good with and like kids? My husband and I are willing to pay good money for a baby sitter that is dependable and gets along great with the kids. I know several of my friends with kids that feel the exact same way. Friday and Saturday nights, we're willing to pay about $50 for someone to come to our house and watch our 2 boys for 4 hours or so. We provide all the food for the kids and sitter and don't expect the sitter to put the kids to bed. Seriously, reach out to anyone you know with kids and show interest and you can make a lot of cash fast.

Good luck to you!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I'm just going to second what someone else mentioned about babysitting. Are you good with and like kids? My husband and I are willing to pay good money for a baby sitter that is dependable and gets along great with the kids. I know several of my friends with kids that feel the exact same way. Friday and Saturday nights, we're willing to pay about $50 for someone to come to our house and watch our 2 boys for 4 hours or so. We provide all the food for the kids and sitter and don't expect the sitter to put the kids to bed. Seriously, reach out to anyone you know with kids and show interest and you can make a lot of cash fast.

Good luck to you!

This is something I've searched for before, but not recently. I love kids and have experience with taking care of them as i have two nephews and a niece. This is probably where I'll start right now since I could probably get some quick cash.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Do you drive a tank? Or do you work 3 hours/day, 5 days/week? Because that's the only way I see it's possible for you to drive 50 miles round trip for work for 15 hours/week and still pay $40 in gas each week.

That's quite the tattoo you have too. I assume it's going to remain partially done for a while?

I'm not sure what having a "physically demanding" job has to do with not being able to sell your plasma, especially when it's only 15 hours/week. You said the center is on the way to work. Seems like that's a good reason to stop on your way home. I did that when I was a struggling college student. Back then they paid $15/donation and I think you could donate twice a week.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Do you drive a tank? Or do you work 3 hours/day, 5 days/week? Because that's the only way I see it's possible for you to drive 50 miles round trip for work for 15 hours/week and still pay $40 in gas each week.
    That's quite the tattoo you have too. I assume it's going to remain partially done for a while?
    I'm not sure what having a "physically demanding" job has to do with not being able to sell your plasma, especially when it's only 15 hours/week. You said the center is on the way to work. Seems like that's a good reason to stop on your way home. I did that when I was a struggling college student. Back then they paid $15/donation and I think you could donate twice a week.
    Back off, Bahet. She's a 21 year old college student. She isn't asking for you to judge her or give her a dissertation on how awseome you are and how she can make more money. She was asking how she should ask her uncle if he will lend her money.

Meg~ You do not need to break down your finances for these people. When you ask your uncle to lend you money, let him know the plan you have in place for repaying him. Tell him you're in a bind and remembered he offered to help you. Then tell him how you plan to make payments to him.