Things you shouldn't say to someone "on a diet?"

Options

Replies

• Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

WHOA! Dude on my last birthday I had eggs benedict and homefries for breakfast, olive garden for supper and a very large slice of ice cream cake.

If anyone said boo to me you can bet they're face would have had a pretty solid introduction to the back of my hand.
    [/quote]

^^^I LOVE YOU!
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I can't stand when people are like oh you're losing weight, you need to eat something! Hello, this is intentional. Then they're like so what you just want to get so skinny you disappear? We can't even see when you turn sideways! You were fine before!

I was technically/medically over weight before and stop worrying about my body! Especially since I eat more than those people anyways.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to go to the gym". Uh, ***** I don't look like this by sitting on my *kitten*.

I totally agree. My bf is VERY supportive bc he lost over 50 lbs last year, but he always says you look amazing! You'r body is great.

Well...yea that's because I have been watching what I eat and exercising. You've never seen me otherwise!
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What do you ant to eat?

I know what I WANT to eat Brits not what I SHOULD eat.
  • mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    Options
    My fiance's family really gets to me. On Memorial Day is aunt brought brownies, took a huge one and tried to give it to me saying, "Here! You want this? Oh that's right you can't have it! HAHAHA! OMG this is SO good!"
    Seriously, what the hell? I know she was just trying to poke fun, but that was seriously mean.

His grandma (she is a small woman who gained a little weight with age, but lost 20 pounds this last year) makes comments about losing weight all the time. She says things like "Losing weight is SO easy. It's maintaining that's hard."
    Yes, I know maintenance is hard work, but that doesn't make losing weight "SO easy". That felt like a slap in the face for all my hard work.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My fiance's family really gets to me. On Memorial Day is aunt brought brownies, took a huge one and tried to give it to me saying, "Here! You want this? Oh that's right you can't have it! HAHAHA! OMG this is SO good!"
    Seriously, what the hell? I know she was just trying to poke fun, but that was seriously mean.

His grandma (she is a small woman who gained a little weight with age, but lost 20 pounds this last year) makes comments about losing weight all the time. She says things like "Losing weight is SO easy. It's maintaining that's hard."
    Yes, I know maintenance is hard work, but that doesn't make losing weight "SO easy". That felt like a slap in the face for all my hard work.

That's where the ability to be a **** comes in handy for me. A family member's date who knew I was losing weight did the brownie thing to me, so I grabbed it, took a little nibble, then threw the rest of the brownie in the trash right in front of them, and to rub salt in the wound, I commented on how it's all about self control, which they could learn from.

I love the people who act like maintenance is harder than losing the weight in the first place. In the breakroom of my second job, some of us were talking about my weight loss (I had just run my first race - a 10K two days earlier) & a lady who's an attention *kitten* was saying that & I started laughing. She glared at me & I said that if maintaining your weight is harder than losing weight, than you're not doing it right.

Some people will do that just to get under your skin. I could turn the other cheek, but that wouldn't be any fun.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The worst thing that was said/done to me came from my husband a little over a month ago.....

We were at GNC, he is a super buff guy who eats like five horses and the only weight issue he ever had was being under weight. I got protein and multivitamins and he loudly proclaimed in the store, "just buying them doesn't make it work you know. You have to work out and eat right." WTF..... I was so embarrassed I almost cried in the store. One of the guys that works there just stared at me.

Then I asked him to work out with me.....that's not happening. When and if we go to the gym together he does his own thing and I do my own thing. Then he always wants to go out to Osaka's (same as Bennihana's) $@&#% he knows that is my favorite restaurant and I'd never say no to that place!!!

I don't even think he realizes that I am 20 lbs lighter than I was in December when he started making comments which I won't dare repeat because they hurt so bad.

Who knew that the one person who is supposed to have your back is the one that will kick you when you're down.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm quite clearly overweight and my neighbour saw me going out for a run (just started C25K) and asked why I wanted to go for a run? Then gave me loads of advice - like using ankle weights.

I get the same question now I have started at the gym especially as I did the school run in my kit one day. I've come to realise that my choices make them feel bad about their choices and their excuses and they then want to make me feel bad.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    [rant]
    It took 30lbs for anyone to notice and I thought that was obscene. It bothered me every day. Now at 60 down, I get called names like "bones" and "crackhead" multiple times a day. It's really starting to bug me. People look at me funny and always have snide remarks when I pull up to the table with what looks like enough food for two. Yes it's a lot of food but ya know it's still less calories and fat than your double fatburger and fries topped with a 44oz side of DP. What's worse is that on the BMI scale I'm just inside normal healthy weight with 11.9 bf%. I chalk it all up to jealousy and laziness from those people. After all, they haven't seen me naked but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the McDonald's nastiness that resides just underneath their cheap t-shirt and the ugliness of their personality every time they open their mouth. You all are great; it really is them and not you.
    [/rant]

Its funny you mention this, one of my bf family members ask ed someone if I was taking crack. Really? Talk about making an assumption. Shes lucky I didnt smack her for that. Only people with low self esteems will make bad comments like that cus they are not happy themselves n need to find peoples fault to make them look good.
  • tlc12078
    Options
    The worst one I got recently went something like this- I love Skinny Cow Ice cream, and at 100 calories, I fit it in any days I work real hard. It's a great, guilt free treat.
    Last week, as I was enjoying my treat, an old co-worker of my husbands stopped by. My husband is very proud of me for exercising and losing weight, so of course, he knew I was "dieting"

Him: I thought you were dieting, whats up with the Ice Cream?
    Me: (nicely) It's a treat, and its Skinny Cow, it's..
    Him: (interrupting me) It's ice cream, thats like the worst thing for you when you're dieting.
    Me: (I decided to just keep my mouth shut at this point, I wanted to say some things I really shouldn't)

Him: (he launches into a story about how he "used to be" a weight lifter, so he knows a LOT about weight control)

Me: (I didn't say anything, just looked at his 100+ pounds of overweight self in disbelief)

Him: (the beautiful ending to his diatribe) He looked at me, very seriously, and said "My ex-wife used to try to lose weight by eating Ice Cream too, thats why I divorced her fat a****"

Me: "I may have some weight to lose, but your kind of ugly is permanent. Now, get the ____ out of my house"

My husband has been informed that this man better never walk in my door again.. if he does, my newest exercise will be batting practice!

You shoulda kicked his *ss out the door....(literally!).....hey then you would have burned off the 100 cals and you could sit back and have another Skinny Cow......its a win-win...:drinker:

lol this is too cute. I agree with her, that would of been brownie point for another ice cream n skinny cow is awesome.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    "why are you on a diet, you are so skinny, just enjoy yourself" (when i order healthy food on a menu like a salad or grilled chicken)

UM, I WORKED HARD TO GET HERE, IM NOT GOING TO FALL BACK INTO MY OLD WAYS BC YOU CANT HAVE SOME SELF RESTRAINT TO DO WHAT I DID!

Lol..these are the same people who text me: "whine, im so fat, i wanna get in shape..." oi

This. This. This!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I went for lunch with a friend in another town. We ended up at Boston Pizza. I had water and ordered the salmon fillet with steamed veggies (it was good). When we ordered she said "oh I'm not on the wagon so I will order whatever I want". She ordered some pasta dish. At the end of lunch she looked at my daughter and said "I'm not on the wagon so I think I will order cheesecake and eat it in front of your mom". Now I don't care what she eats it just seemed like she was trying to set me up to fail. I proved her wrong because I ate my lunch, drank my water, and enjoyed it all.

Thank goodness she lives out of town!! Maybe you need a nicer friend!
  • tlc12078
    Options
    I can't relate.
    Nobody knows I am on a diet.
    I eat more than most at every function, party or picnic and am usually on "free day". While the fat people are all crying the blues about their "diets", I am wallowing in a food orgy of fun and fabulous dishes.
    What diet?
    The one thing people do say more often than anything is "how do you eat so much and stay in such good shape?"
    If I thought they really wanted to know, I'd tell them, but I do not.
    I just shrug and play dumb, knowing none of these people would be willing to travel down my road to peak fitness.
    It's a lonely but lovely place.
    ALL IS POSSIBLE!

You know I have a lost a good portion and I eat and I do cheat here n there all do to the fabulous invention called exercise and I try to burn to earn my food. Exercise is the key, not just a little here n a little there I mean doing more than expected. Thats how its working for me. IT hurts like hell but its worth it. :)
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    "are you doing it the right way" as if everyone that looses weight has an eating disorder... i haven't seen you in 8 months and im 40lbs lighter someone should get me help (ugh)

You should reply "Yes, the weight is coming off, so I think I'm doing it the right way." UGH!!!
  • Nailrep
    Options
    The worst one I got recently went something like this- I love Skinny Cow Ice cream, and at 100 calories, I fit it in any days I work real hard. It's a great, guilt free treat.
    Last week, as I was enjoying my treat, an old co-worker of my husbands stopped by. My husband is very proud of me for exercising and losing weight, so of course, he knew I was "dieting"

Him: I thought you were dieting, whats up with the Ice Cream?
    Me: (nicely) It's a treat, and its Skinny Cow, it's..
    Him: (interrupting me) It's ice cream, thats like the worst thing for you when you're dieting.
    Me: (I decided to just keep my mouth shut at this point, I wanted to say some things I really shouldn't)

Him: (he launches into a story about how he "used to be" a weight lifter, so he knows a LOT about weight control)

Me: (I didn't say anything, just looked at his 100+ pounds of overweight self in disbelief)

Him: (the beautiful ending to his diatribe) He looked at me, very seriously, and said "My ex-wife used to try to lose weight by eating Ice Cream too, thats why I divorced her fat a****"

Me: "I may have some weight to lose, but your kind of ugly is permanent. Now, get the ____ out of my house"

My husband has been informed that this man better never walk in my door again.. if he does, my newest exercise will be batting practice!

You shoulda kicked his *ss out the door....(literally!).....hey then you would have burned off the 100 cals and you could sit back and have another Skinny Cow......its a win-win...:drinker:

lol this is too cute. I agree with her, that would of been brownie point for another ice cream n skinny cow is awesome.

HOLY CRAP.... LOL
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Last week was my 21st birthday and I was celebrating it with my fiance and his family. His mother is the nicest person I know and she knows I've been eating less and been on a "diet", so she asked me what kinda of cake i wanted for my birthday. I told her a mini one lol. So she did! It was only 6 inches in diameter and it was a pretty healthy cake, as far at they could go. There wasn't any frosting, just some light whipped cream and fresh cut up strawberries. I planned on sharing it at my birthday part with my fiance, who would eat half of it anyway. After I got my cake though my future sister-in-law said "Wow, a whole cake to yourself!?" Then make some pig noises afterward. That made me feel pretty bad after so I had a very small piece, maybe a slice that was 12% of the cake, if that. My fiance still had half of it.

Needless to say, if it's someone's birthday or special occasion and they seem like they deserve a treat, don't make fun of them even if you're joking.It can really hurt someones feelings.

What a ****! !

DITTO!!!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I share an office with another girl, who is also over weight. She likes to go buy cupcakes once or twice a week or gourmet cookies and always buys me one, because "I don't want to eat it in front of you when you don't have one" Next time I will be taking advice from the brownie person who took one bite and threw it in the garbage. She knows that I am on a "diet" She supposedly is too. But she eats junk all the time and is trying to bring me down with her. I need to practice better self control. I have no problem with not eating what I can't see but when she brings cake in here and sets it on my desk and opens it up for me to see and smell I think about choking her and give in... Some people just don't get it.

I also hate when people say : You aren't fat, you look great. Hello? I weigh 241lbs!! That's fat!!! I am classified as OBESE!! Yes I am 5'11" and yes I carry it well but yes I am indeed still FAT!!
  • Nailrep
    Options
    Hi, would you like to buy a box of Girl Scout Cookies?

haha. mmmm, girl scout cookiiiiieeeessss....

Grrrrrrrrr, those little bi*^@es!! How dare they!! LOL
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have been underweight most of my life, and I joined MFP to help me gain a little weight (I'm now at my goal weight :) ), so I have a different perspective that most people here. That said, when a skinny person wants to gain weight, they can get the same kind of unhelpful, rude comments.

Whenever I would mention that I wanted to gain weight, people would often say to me, "Just eat a bunch of ice cream/pizza/cookies/other junk food." No thanks. I want to gain AND be healthy.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    My husband, who is in the garage looking for a tool this idiot wanted to borrow, was really shocked at what this guy said, but even more shocked that I didn't hit him over the head with something.

He's actually pretty lucky that my husband didn't understand what had happened until after he pulled away.. He was even more mad that I was. Seriously, I just thought the guy was terminally stupid.

Aww Good Husband!! =) And good self control :indifferent: