Things you shouldn't say to someone "on a diet?"

Options

Replies

• lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not about food this one, but exercise. My housemate, every time I get back from a run, says 'I'd like to run, but I just don't have time'. The way she says it, means 'I'm busier than you' which is just bullcrap! We do the same job, get home at the same time, go out abouy the same amount of times a week etc. It's just because I make time to go out and do it. Last night she watch four episodes of Mad Men. Busy? Gah!

Foodwise, I always feel like punching my mum when she says 'are you sure you want that'. Everything I eat is planned and measured. yes, I'm pretty damn sure!
  • ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The worst for me are the enablers.

People that know you're on a diet, yet always say things like, "Screw healthy eating, we should go grab a burger or something tonight."

It's easy to say that when you're skinny and don't put on any weight. It's very hard to turn down something that you've been used to eating for the past 10 years.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Not about food this one, but exercise. My housemate, every time I get back from a run, says 'I'd like to run, but I just don't have time'. The way she says it, means 'I'm busier than you' which is just bullcrap! We do the same job, get home at the same time, go out abouy the same amount of times a week etc. It's just because I make time to go out and do it. Last night she watch four episodes of Mad Men. Busy? Gah!

Foodwise, I always feel like punching my mum when she says 'are you sure you want that'. Everything I eat is planned and measured. yes, I'm pretty damn sure!

One of my friends said something like that a while back and it really pissed me off and shocked me actually, because she's always been very complimentary of my efforts. I was at a party and someone was asking me about how I'd got into running, so I was explaining C25K to them and my friend turned around and said 'Just wait until you actually get busy, you won't have time for all this exercise!'

1) It insinuated that I'm not busy. I currently work two ****ing jobs!
    2) That hour or so I spend exercising a few times a week is way less than you spend glued to Facebook.
    3) It's my freaking lifestyle now. You MAKE the time!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Also-I hate when people ask "how is the diet going?" or "is th diet working?" ugghhh! Ohh and also my mom always asks"why are you trying to loose weight?" Umm cause I'm FAT!!!!

Meaning of the word diet according to dictionary.com:
    4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

So, yes you are on a diet. Just not one that lasts 4 months and after that you're back to your old ways. You're changing your unhealthy diet into a healthy one.

---
    I'm surprised by the hate everyone describes towards people who, in their own way, are trying to help. Be glad that you're mother is worried about your health. Both for not eating enough and eating too much. Be glad that people who have problems with dieting and still have weight issues find you important enough to give you some tips they've learned from experience. People might be trying to help you in way that doesn't work for you, but in almost all of these posts I hear someone trying to help.

If you think about it you should be happy that people care enough to try and help you. But explain to them how they can help, or that you'd rather not discuss your diet with them.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I was at college having my lunch, it was a salad with houmous and I had a packet of crisps (88 calories, 3g of fat) and one of my class mates picked up my crisps and went "oh, you're on a diet with your salad, you can't have these!"
    I kindly explained that, yes I was on a 'diet' but it was more long term and that those crsps are my little treat. I also mentioned how I'd be working out when I got home.
    She then proceeded to tell me how she doesn't eat enough and that's why she's over weight... while eating chips and gravy and a treacle sponge, following the sausage sandwich she had at break time... yes, definitely not eating enough... :-\
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A friends mother (serial dieter) "Are you still on a diet?"
    Me: "Never been on a diet" (diet to me implies just wanting to lose, I'm focused on so much more than that)
    Her: What about that site you use? (my friend obviously told her about it)
    Me: Oh yeah, I still use that.
    Her: I don't have time for all that (she says while writing down what she eats in a notebook)

Random people (friends, coworkers) when I mention going to the gym:
    "Why do you go to the gym, you don't need to lose weight!" - As if people only go to the gym to lose weight.

Oh and the general "why are you eating that, aren't you on a diet?!" that so many people get.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is when my mother says to me, You are a nurse you should know better, or, Oh cheryl, try to stick to this diet and this time keep it off. I get soooo mad when she says these things, first because she keeps saying it and also because it is like telling me she doesn't think I'm going to do it or keep it off. She will say it in a whiney way. And the nurse thing really bugs me because you don't have to be a nurse to know how to eat. She knows how to eat and is overweight too. It is willpower, endurance, stick-to-it-ness, ability to change my habits that matters. And someone telling you to stick to it this time is not going to make me stick to it. I already know i need to stick to it without her saying it. Okay, sorry, just had to let it out since you asked :P
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My wonderful, generous, slim husband "Try some of this.....", "Do you want some.....?", "Are you sure you don't want some.....?". Love you honey but I AM TRYING TO BE GOOD!!!!!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Have some Oreos, while holding them in front of my face. No thanks, I say. Then : are you sure, they're good. STFU. This is a conversation I had with my husband last week. :huh:
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    "Do you want a bite of this?" - My generous but frustrating husband. (Also the only person who knows I'm working on losing weight.)

This! Or he'll bring home donuts and ice cream and say. "why can't you have just some?". The worst was when he wanted to take the kids out for ice cream and I said I'm just going to go home, he can take the kids. The girls asked why and he said "oh she'll have something don't worry". :huh:
    Well I went with them and didn't get anything. And that was on the first two weeks of my lifestyle change when I could have ripped his you know what's off. This was a NSV for me.

I don't tell anyone about my new way of eating. I don't want to hear my overweight friends and family say "you know what you should do!":grumble: Plus it is like a cartoon. When I tell someone I'm watching my carbs they always try to hand me a breadstick or a basket of bread.

Keep it to myself is my motto:smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Every time this thread comes up, all I can think is, man, people on diets are so grumpy.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I decided to eat two time out bars last night and my OH's mum said "I thought you weren't eating chocolate". As if I didn't feel bad enough already..
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "Keep it up" Like thanks jerk I know I have more weight to lose.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    More than two years in and all I hear now is, "So how much have to lost now?!" HATE that! I don't feel like sharing, dipweed. If I did, I'd let you know. (My feeling toward this comment may also have to do with the fact that I'm on a 6-month plateau and while losing inches, have not been losing actual pounds, so I say, "Nothing" and they look at me with that "Ha! I knew it!" face and I want to punch them in the throat because it's not ALL about the scale, #%*#$!)
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, a very recent college grad (also very skinny) butted into my conversation with a coworker about MFP, saying..."Oh, I never count calories." Well, good luck with that.
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone but my hubby about starting myfitnesspal and I was at my parents on my sons birthday and I had a small piece of cake and they saw me logging it in my diary and asked me what I was doing and so I told them and my dad says "So what do you weigh now 350 - 375?" FYI I weighed 220 lbs at the time. I just wanted to rip his head off....
  • court211006
    Options
    one moment saying 'you don't need to lose any more weight, you're getting too skinny' and then in the next breath when looking for something to eat 'it'll go straight to your hips!'
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    WOMEN co-workers

I have skinny co-workers who try to compete every time i'm trying to eat healthier and exercise more.. all of a sudden, they (without mentioning it) will do the same, to try to get below my weight.These girls are around my age group.

There are other co-workers who are 13+ yrs older than myself (in their late 40s) who are highly overweight and always complain whenever they figure out that i'm on some sort of 'diet'. "why are you doing that, you're going to make your face and butt shrink and you'll look bad" or " girl, you should eat whatever you want you look great, if i were you i'd put ON some weight!". <<<-- make me GAIN weight! love to sabotage my goals!

MEN co-workers

"exercising will help you no matter what you eat" <- ugh, yea
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker (who is probably a size 2) that seems to love "monitering" me. The boss had ordered pizza and ice cream for the team as a reward but I had budgeted for it. This lady offered me the largest piece in the box and said "Here this will go with that big sandwich you ate last week, since you've already sabatoged your diet".

I don't even remember eating whatever sandwich she was referring to, not that it's any of her business.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Not really a thing you shouldn't say.. but thing you shouldn't do.. but here goes:
    My mother really seems to be obsessed with dieting and has yo-yo'd for a lot of years.. seriously, she talks about it a lot.. so I never told her about my healthy eating plan.. but she did notice. Then, she was full of questions and 'can you eat this?" blah blah blah.
    I expressly told her not to tell anyone else.. but she did.
    I wore a beautiful sundress one day (after losing almost 60 pounds) and she tells me "I look a lot thinner in my work clothes"
    Every time I visit she looks me up and down to gauge how I'm doing.. I wear sloppy clothes so she can't tell anymore..lol, so now she outright asks "how are you coming along with your weight loss?"..UGH!
    To top it off.. it was hubby's birthday yesterday.. guess what she bought him? A huge basket of all his favourite treats (that he has on special occasions).. diet coke, a big can of salted peanuts, three reeces peanut butter cup chocolate bars, 2 cans of pringles. Stuff that "Gwen won't buy for you". Great.. thanks mom, fill my cupboards with temptation.. go right ahead.. it's so good for my hubby who has diabetes and a heart condition.. UGH.. smile, gee, thanks, so kind mom *sarcasm*