Let the bloodbath begin....

Options

Replies

• Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    ^^ it went more like this

how do I log x?
    logging x isn't valid! you're an idiot! omg everybody look at the idiot! I bet she logs stupid stuff like cooking and pooping! I bet she watches Maury!
    uh....okay jerkface, but x seems to be valid for me and my goals, so how do I log it?
    you're a goddamn American idiot! let me private message you and let you know in no uncertain terms how much of a moron you are!!!!
    - I'm Canadian
    - YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA!!!

I don't think I was being particularly sensitive, although now I'm getting accused of that too! *adds it to the list*

this is back to being fun!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

If we specifically ask for an opinion, THEN it becomes someone else's business. Just because we are logging our exercise (for OUR OWN benefit), it doesn't mean that we're intentionally or willingly opening ourselves up for public criticism.

Not criticism - debate
    If something is public on a public forum it's open for debate whether you like it or not

My food diary is public. What I eat is up for debate and criticism - I can and will defend it but I have no right to say "Hey you can't talk about what I eat - it's none of your business."
  • Wonderob
    Options
    does anyone else feel like this is going in circles?

If I'm going in circles then I'm counting that as exercise!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

There's something you and I totally agree on. These threads always go in circles, but they get hard to ignore because they stay at the top of the list for hours/days on end.

It's a shame, because there really are a ton of threads on MFP that have helped me and I'm sure have helped others, but then I get sucked into a thread like this a want to never come back to the forums again.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Your ancestors did chores like milk cows, bail hay, plough crops . . . A little more strenuous than running your Swifter across your kitchen floor . . .

OPEN YOUR EYES AND ACTUALLY READ WHAT WE ARE WRITING!!!!! :mad: :explode: :grumble: I DON'T log mundane things like "running my Swiffer across my kitchen floor" for five minutes each day! When I log "chores", I'm referring to my ONCE PER WEEK, top to bottom, deep cleaning for HOURS at a time. And it's DEFINITELY more strenuous than five or ten minutes of light cleaning here and there throughout the rest of the week (which I don't log, btw).

And, AGAIN, I don't log my chores, or my daily workouts for that matter, just so I have an excuse to eat more calories. I rarely eat back even HALF of my workout calories because I know the calorie burns here on MFP are not accurate and I don't have a HR monitor to give me a more accurate burn. The ONLY reason I log my activity, whether workouts or any other significant activity, is so that I can look back and see where I need to improve.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

It always does... it's the internet... where the debates never stop and people feel the need to debate and insert an opinion, even if it wasn't asked for...
  • Saiklor
    Options
    it's just that as far as I can tell, everything from the last 3-4 pages was already discussed, both in this thread and in the other (now locked/defunct) thread.

so....why are we all doing this still?

I'm here because it's hilarious, I'm an anthropologist who can't tear herself away from this melee, and because I do feel some need to make sure people don't REALLY crap on me (too much).

why is everyone else still here??
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Not criticism - debate
    If something is public on a public forum it's open for debate whether you like it or not
    My food diary is public. What I eat is up for debate and criticism - I can and will defend it but I have no right to say "Hey you can't talk about what I eat - it's none of your business."

Very very well put.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    ^^ it went more like this

how do I log x?
    logging x isn't valid! you're an idiot! omg everybody look at the idiot! I bet she logs stupid stuff like cooking and pooping! I bet she watches Maury!
    uh....okay jerkface, but x seems to be valid for me and my goals, so how do I log it?
    you're a goddamn American idiot! let me private message you and let you know in no uncertain terms how much of a moron you are!!!!
    - I'm Canadian
    - YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA!!!

I don't think I was being particularly sensitive, although now I'm getting accused of that too! *adds it to the list*

this is back to being fun!

Personal insults are never justified. Debating what you do and how you do it are - provided you have already made them public of course
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so since going to the gym and exercising has become part of my daily routine for the past 5 months does that mean i should no longer consider that as physical activity?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between chores today and 50 year ago

Today
    I walk 5 steps to turn up the thermostat
    I brush my permanent epoxy varnished wooden floor
    I grab the plank and run it through my Italian industrial saw
    (lol today I use a hand mower or a scythe) - but most people have power mowers
    I use a chain saw to cut down a tree

When I was a kid
    I put a coat on, waked to the back shed, took an axe and chopped up pieces of coal, lit a fire inside and shivered for an hour before it was warm
    I got on my hands and knees and hand waxed and buffed my wooden floor
    I took a hand saw to cut a plank
    I cut the grass with a hand mower
    I chopped trees down with an axe
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

There's something you and I totally agree on. These threads always go in circles, but they get hard to ignore because they stay at the top of the list for hours/days on end.

It's a shame, because there really are a ton of threads on MFP that have helped me and I'm sure have helped others, but then I get sucked into a thread like this a want to never come back to the forums again.

I think the reason some of these threads go in circles is because many people only half read the arguments from the other side. They're convinced they're right, so it doesn't matter to them whether or not their opponent has a valid point or not. Not to mention, the snarky, condescending remarks that only fuel the fire. It makes me SOOOO angry when I have to repeat myself because the person(s) with whom I'm debating aren't listening to a word I'm saying.
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    Options
    My problem is the ripping into other people...

I couldn't care less about logging chores or not. I do not log them, I count them as part of my daily activity but if someone else logs them because they feel they worked up a sweat what do I care...

really, it's their journey and only they really know how hard they work.

Lauren
    [EXACTLY!!!!! ]
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    I'm here because it's hilarious, I'm an anthropologist who can't tear herself away from this melee,

It's ingroup-outgroup behaviour at its very basic.
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    Options
    My problem is the ripping into other people...

I couldn't care less about logging chores or not. I do not log them, I count them as part of my daily activity but if someone else logs them because they feel they worked up a sweat what do I care...

really, it's their journey and only they really know how hard they work.

Lauren

EXACTLY!!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't people giving opinions... it's people giving unsolicited opinions that is annoying....

Wow. There was me thinking it's an open forum for the purpose of information exchange (which naturally involves a degree of "opinion" although some people like to think their opinion is fact) and an invitation wasn't required?

Again, when a person is asking HOW to do something, that is not the place to debate, insert opinions outside of the actual query, and/or bash the person for wanting to do it.... it's rude and disrespectful... If you (in general) want to debate on whether someone SHOULD do it... then either find the bajillion threads that have already been made to beat that dead horse, or create a new one.... If someone wants opinions on whether they should do it, they will ask. Being an open forum does not mean that people have the right to be disrespectful and rude.
  • Saiklor
    Options
    I always thought that threads often grew way too fast to be fed by people actually thinking about and responding to the comments in any thorough way. This thread is such a great example of that.

Shall we start a NEW thread that summarizes this one and begins an actual debate on one or more of the topics raised in here?
    ideas include....
    - when is exercise not part of a daily routine/when is it part of a daily routine
    - what are the effects of people posting forum threads and you reading them? how does it affect you? can you pickup bad habits this way?
    - what is the difference between "criticism" and "debate"
    - other ideas?
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    I think the reason some of these threads go in circles is because many people only half read the arguments from the other side. They're convinced they're right, so it doesn't matter to them whether or not their opponent has a valid point or not. Not to mention, the snarky, condescending remarks that only fuel the fire. It makes me SOOOO angry when I have to repeat myself because the person(s) with whom I'm debating aren't listening to a word I'm saying.

So you think that by repeating the information you're somehow contributing to people magically changing their minds?

Other people have repeated themselves and yet you haven't changed your position?

Why do you think your stand point is any more valid than that of the people you're frustrated with for not coming round to your way of thinking?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    so since going to the gym and exercising has become part of my daily routine for the past 5 months does that mean i should no longer consider that as physical activity?

There is a clear and widely accepted definition of low intensity workout - one that raises your heart rate to 60% - 65% of maximu.

If you go down the gym and chat and read a magazine and your heart rate doesn't reach that level then no - don't count it

If you reach or exceed that level then it counts as exercise

In my opinion that goes for chores too - If I wash the dishes my heart rate isn't going up! If I'm digging a pool in the garden then it is going up!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I read these threads purely for entertainment.