Let the bloodbath begin....

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise for football coaching as some of the time I'm just walking around - I certainly wouldn't log day to day chores and I don't understand why anyone would!

But then again, I don't understand why anyone likes Adam Sandler films, or X factor or the theatre so each to their own!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose weight you have to engage in vigorous exercise several times a week, preferably, five to six times a week, plain and simple.

All the rest is dumbing down.

When i'm logging religiously, I do include those grapes
    No you don't, you just have to eat less cal than you burn
    It really is that simple.
    As for dumbing down, No, everyone has to do it their way, a way that works for them, for you going to the gym or engaging in vigorous exercise works, for others Not so much.

Edit
    Some people eat real food, others eat Protein bars in place of real food, something I've never understood, Some people make house work work for them, others pay $$$ to go to a gym to sit on a cycle and go nowhere, again something I've never understood. You don't have to understand, you just either ignore or accept.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Once again....our ancestors used chores as exercise, so why shouldn't people on MFP?????

I don't care what people log, and I do log cleaning when it's above and beyond normal household duties, but...

Our ancestors chores weren't the same as ours. They scrubbed clothes on a washboard or boiled them in huge caldrons, took rugs outside to beat the dirt out of them, mopped with a heavy rope mop, washed dishes by hand, would hunt, fish, butcher their own livestock and pick their own crops for dinner, walked everywhere unless they hooked up the horses to a buggy, etc. No washing machines, no vacuums, no Swiffers, no dishwasher, no package of chicken tenderloins or perfect cuts of steak or ready to cook veggies from the grocery store, no cars.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    If you need to lose weight you have to engage in vigorous exercise several times a week, preferably, five to six times a week, plain and simple.

As for dumbing down, No, everyone has to do it their way, a way that works for them, for you going to the gym or engaging in vigorous exercise works, for others Not so much.

Edit
    Some people eat real food, others eat Protein bars in place of real food, something I've never understood, Some people make house work work for them, others pay $$$ to go to a gym to sit on a cycle and go nowhere, again something I've never understood. You don't have to understand, you just either ignore or accept.

I would love to know your definition of 'real food'!

I eat protein bars for snacks as it gives me the macros I need and they are handy when I'm out and about. They taste 'real', I have to use 'real' money to buy them and the calories contained are 'real' Why do you not consider bars packed with nutrients, vitamins and high quality protein 'real'?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If I do full house cleaning, I will log the calories but adjust it and just count half of it. I sit all day for work and I don't vacuum, mop, run up and down 2 flights of steps daily so I believe it is okay to count it.
    People find it very easy to be rude on the computer. It always amazes me. If you disagree with their way of thinking you get bashed for it. God forbid you mention Dr. Oz! :grumble:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    If I do full house cleaning, I will log the calories but adjust it and just count half of it. I sit all day for work and I don't vacuum, mop, run up and down 2 flights of steps daily so I believe it is okay to count it.
    People find it very easy to be rude on the computer. It always amazes me. If you disagree with their way of thinking you get bashed for it. God forbid you mention Dr. Oz! :grumble:

But it amazes me that when people on here disagree, the resulting discussion and debate is called 'bashing'
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I log sleep calories...

no, I don't.. jussss kiddin'
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you want to log it, that's fine. It's a personal choice. I choose to only log actual exercise. I don't log in my cleaning, walking around, cooking, grocery shopping, etc. These are all physical activities but obviously not enough so for me to consider logging. If these burned any significant amount of calories for me I'd be thin already. :smile:
  • josiereside
    Options

But it amazes me that when people on here disagree, the resulting discussion and debate is called 'bashing'

I am not opposed to someone disagreeing but there is no need to insult another person for thinking a different way... that is where the problem lies.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Our ancestors chores weren't the same as ours. They scrubbed clothes on a washboard or boiled them in huge caldrons, took rugs outside to beat the dirt out of them, mopped with a heavy rope mop, washed dishes by hand, would hunt, fish, butcher their own livestock and pick their own crops for dinner, walked everywhere unless they hooked up the horses to a buggy, etc. No washing machines, no vacuums, no Swiffers, no dishwasher, no package of chicken tenderloins or perfect cuts of steak or ready to cook veggies from the grocery store, no cars.

...and this ^^
  • Wonderob
    Options

I am not opposed to someone disagreeing but there is no need to insult another person for thinking a different way... that is where the problem lies.

Oh yeah of course - no way should people be throwing insults about. Are they though?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I log sleep calories...

no, I don't.. jussss kiddin'

Yes but you know you would if you sleep-walked!
  • josiereside
    Options

Oh yeah of course - no way should people be throwing insults about. Are they though?

Not to me here so far but I have been called an idiot on another board... I do see a lot of snide comments on here though.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If your settings are "sedentary" and you don't normally break out a sweat/increase your heart rate similarly as you would with other forms of exercises, then log it.

If you're logging it so you feel better about eating more, than you probably shouldn't log it.

This! I don't take it personally if you log every little thing you do- but don't do it just to get to eat more...because more than likely you AREN'T burning as many calories as MFP tells you you are. I have my settings set to lightly active so if I log every move I make then I feel like I'm double logging. I mean, if you log cooking, cleaning, etc...then should you also log every step you take? sleeping? Where does it stop? haha
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! when i looked at the MFP 'light activity' it gave me 350kcal a day extra!? so i set myself to sedentry and add back anything that is activity over 5minutes in duration (anything under is a bonus)... im usually naughty and dont count enough time (underestimate), but i seems to be working!?, and if my weighloss slows or something than i'll change it again! You've just got to listen to your body!

ps. feel free to add me as a 'friend who counts cleaning!'
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

...and this ^^

Oh yeah...and this!
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options

Edit

I would love to know your definition of 'real food'!

I eat protein bars for snacks as it gives me the macros I need and they are handy when I'm out and about. They taste 'real', I have to use 'real' money to buy them and the calories contained are 'real' Why do you not consider bars packed with nutrients, vitamins and high quality protein 'real'?

Maybe this person is getting around to the fact that protein bars are processed. I have heard several people in my lifetime say that processed foods even when full of nutrients aren't the best way to get nutrients. I've read this nutrition books as well. They usually say that eating non processed natural foods is the best way to go. Maybe that's all she's getting at.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    and the point of starting this thread over was....?
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I log stuff like going to the grocery store, and nobody has mentioned anything about it to me, but taking 3 kids to the grocery store (7, 4 & 15 months) is a workout, anyway you slice it. I am contantly running after someone, ,lifting, bending, etc.

When I am doing chores, I am also half the time holding my clinging 16 month old. And I don't do chores on a regular basis.... I work full time with 3 kids & one of my days off we do nothing but fun stuff. The other day is my power morning of every chore you can imagine. I don't sit down on my days off until the kiddos are asleep. I am constantly moving!

If people don't agree with what you log, I say they don't have to look at it.

Log what you want, and good luck to you!!
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, the past few times I have neeed to lose weight (i.e. after having kids) I haven't been able to exercise vigorously.... I don't have the time. And just cutting calories and my regular activity has always been enough for a steady 2-4 lb weight loss a week, which is fine for me.