Let the bloodbath begin....

Options

Replies

• loseweightjames
    Options
    Chores count... especially if you are doing some hard-care work. I did a clean up at a local park one saturday and that definitely took a lot out of me!

cleaning a park is not the same as Sweep Floor, 5 minutes
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Well I log a certain pleasurable chore as "Cardio" but unfortunately it doesn't happen as often as I would like! :)

LOL...really, don't laugh...I have wondering if you can log this..especially, you know the really "creative" kind. It's not in the database though, I have checked! LOL

i read people disguise it. One woman called it "Horseback riding"
  • shrinkingirl
    Options
    I really think people lose sight of the fact that not everyone is out to get super slim, super low body fat, super in shape, super sculpted. Some people want to be a healthy weight and they want to be more active. Logging activity is a visual pat on the back - and not everyone is eating back those calories.

For some people, a three mile walk is as much of a work out as they WANT to do. And that's fine unless they're whining about not being able to see their abdominal muscles.

In the end, it's ridiculous for people to call other people out on the things they log unless they've asked for advice or are a good friend. Everyone's journey is individual - we're not all heading to the same destination. Everyone is ready for things in their own time, you can't change your life until you're ready and not everyone moves at the same pace or in the same way.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I log my chores. There. I said it.

I have a disability and our household chores are shared by everyone. When someone else doesn't do theirs and I have to pick up the slack, heck yeah I log it.

I use this rule of thumb...If I break a sweat and am higher than 70% of my target heartrate zone, it can be logged.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I worked construction labor in the summers on heavy bridge and highway work 10-12 hour days, 5-6 days per week, (very physically demanding) and not a single calorie from physical activity was tracked those summers. I don't even understand why people would be so ridiculous to input a cardio session or a lifting workout??? You can't even begin to calculate the additional calories burned from those activities correctly. I think its a excuse for people to indulge more food, maybe self control is the issue and plugging those calories is an excuse.

Here is an idea, stick to a regular training schedule and adjust your caloric intake based on what the scale shows. Saved your self the time and free up your life, in my opinion you are going to an extreme that will eventually lead you to burn out and quit. Many other things to be enjoyed in life than going through the trouble of counting calories burned from chewing your dinner, trust me.

Good for you, if you've found something that works for you, that's great.

But, I think the point of this thread is "don't knock people who do it a different way"!

If someone is using MFP to set their daily calorie allowance, then they SHOULD be adding extra activity/exercise that burns calories over and above their basic allowance. That's the whole premise of the MFP calculations, to get your total calorie allowance for the day you eat what is suggested, plus what you burn from exercise. You don't have to like it, but that's they way they've designed it.
    If this doesn't work for you and you want a stable calorie allowance then use another calculator. It's not a case of right or wrong, it's case of finding what works.

And no, those numbers aren't going to be accurate - but frankly, neither are the food calories or the BMR or any of the other numbers we use - they are all estimates/guidelines. I've found MFP to make a lot of sense and it's been an incredible tool to help me lose a significant amount of weight, and keep it off - so those estimates have been a great tool for me to use.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    There are so many responses to your points, but essentially, the past isn't particularly relevant: In the "olden days":

---People were not focused on health as they are now. Nor did they expect to have the kind of quality of life and longevity that many take for granted.

--Even ordinary life required more energy. For example, using a manual typewriter burns more calories than typing on a computer.

Casual activity is for people who are maintaining their weight. People who need to lose a fair amount of weight in a reasonable time frame must exercise in a structured, intense manner for a significant period of time.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Well I log a certain pleasurable chore as "Cardio" but unfortunately it doesn't happen as often as I would like! :)

LOL...really, don't laugh...I have wondering if you can log this..especially, you know the really "creative" kind. It's not in the database though, I have checked! LOL

i read people disguise it. One woman called it "Horseback riding"

I gardened for 30 minutes one weekend ;)
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    sometimes my exercise diary says " dinosnopro burned 30 calories doing five minutes of alone time " :wink: I log everything. YOLO

So on those nights when we get, um...er...acrobatic, let's say - how does it get logged? Ideas?
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I log my chores. There. I said it.

I have a disability and our household chores are shared by everyone. When someone else doesn't do theirs and I have to pick up the slack, heck yeah I log it.

I use this rule of thumb...If I break a sweat and am higher than 70% of my target heartrate zone, it can be logged.

Me too Gayje, if I break a sweat, it is an exercise, if not, I don't log it.
  • sagesmom05
    sagesmom05 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's not part of my daily routine. I know a lot of other people who don't strenuously scrub their floors on their hands and knees daily but they will log it if they do it. My levels are set to sedentary because I SIT almost all day long - so if I do clean, it's outside of my daily routine of sitting. Once again....our ancestors used chores as exercise, so why shouldn't people on MFP?????

I have mine set at sedentary also, so if i am breaking a sweat cleaning i log it, if im doing dishes for 5 min i don't. If i weed i log it because i break a sweat pulling weeds. I also look at it as if im just starting to sweat, i log half the time
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    Wait.. i work out every day so not it is a routine.. i should not log it now.. so i will bike everyday.. wait then its a routine and i can't log it.. .. oh so if i only work out once and a while then it is a work out.. man i have been doing it wrong..

WHO CARES NOT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS move on do what you do and let them do what they do. GEZZZ.. or keep arguing because if i type faster i am longing it :)
  • sagesmom05
    sagesmom05 Posts: 15
    Options
    I really think people lose sight of the fact that not everyone is out to get super slim, super low body fat, super in shape, super sculpted. Some people want to be a healthy weight and they want to be more active. Logging activity is a visual pat on the back - and not everyone is eating back those calories.

For some people, a three mile walk is as much of a work out as they WANT to do. And that's fine unless they're whining about not being able to see their abdominal muscles.

In the end, it's ridiculous for people to call other people out on the things they log unless they've asked for advice or are a good friend. Everyone's journey is individual - we're not all heading to the same destination. Everyone is ready for things in their own time, you can't change your life until you're ready and not everyone moves at the same pace or in the same way.

well said
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    cleaning at different efforts IS on MFP. (light, moderate and vigorous)
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    There are so many responses to your points, but essentially, the past isn't particularly relevant: In the "olden days":

---People were not focused on health as they are now. Nor did they expect to have the kind of quality of life and longevity that many take for granted.

--Even ordinary life required more energy. For example, using a manual typewriter burns more calories than typing on a computer.

Casual activity is for people who are maintaining their weight. People who need to lose a fair amount of weight in a reasonable time frame must exercise in a structured, intense manner for a significant period of time.

I'm not saying this is a 1:1 ratio. Of course there are some major differences between the "olden days" and modern times - my point is exercise is not just structured activity. All activity burns some calories. Are you going to look like a supermodel by "mopping 30 mins" everyday exclusively? For 99.9% of us the answer is no, but that doesn't mean you aren't still burning calories. Quite frankly, I don't plan to look like a supermodel. I :heart: food.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Because chores are a part of your daily routine. You don't account for them because it's a normal part of your day. You might as well log your trips to the bathroom as Walking, 2 mph, slow pace (2 minutes). It's basically the same thing. I think anything you have to go out of the way to do that requires strenuous effort can be logged. Everything else is null.

You haven't seen my house! Bahhhaahahahahahah!
  • econut2000
    Options
    Wait.. i work out every day so not it is a routine.. i should not log it now.. so i will bike everyday.. wait then its a routine and i can't log it.. .. oh so if i only work out once and a while then it is a work out.. man i have been doing it wrong..

WHO CARES NOT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS move on do what you do and let them do what they do. GEZZZ.. or keep arguing because if i type faster i am longing it :)

Hey, since you have responded to this post twice and broke your routine, I think you get to log it as exercise!!! lol

PS love the profile pic - huge Pats fan here :love:
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Log what you want. Wouldn't bother me none. It's your body/business/life.

Oh wait. BRB. Someone is wrong on the Internet. :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Can you get a gold medal in Toilet Bowl scrubbing?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I think everyone just needs to do what works for them. Sometimes I log things as cleaning because that's the closest description I can find (I don't have an HRM). It is my diary and my choice. I have a system for determining what I count. You have a system for determining what you count. Neither of us is wrong.

If someone chooses to log stuff to justify cals when maybe that activity has really already been accounted for then that is their business. It is not my weight loss journey so they can do whatever they want. I personally don't log stuff like a sprinkle of pepper on my food. Some people do. My life, my business that I didn't count the 1/4 of a cal or whatever.

People shouldn't attack others for what they choose to do. How does what I log affect you?
  • econut2000
    Options
    I think everyone just needs to do what works for them. Sometimes I log things as cleaning because that's the closest description I can find (I don't have an HRM). It is my diary and my choice. I have a system for determining what I count. You have a system for determining what you count. Neither of us is wrong.

If someone chooses to log stuff to justify cals when maybe that activity has really already been accounted for then that is their business. It is not my weight loss journey so they can do whatever they want. I personally don't log stuff like a sprinkle of pepper on my food. Some people do. My life, my business that I didn't count the 1/4 of a cal or whatever.

People shouldn't attack others for what they choose to do. How does what I log affect you?

^^THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS