Calling All REAL animal lovers!!!

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

There is nothing that points to a creator, all we have are questions that don't have answers. When you are accepting a 'creator', you are already giving an answer. Its lazy.

No, When you're allowing the possibility of a higher power, then you're practicing science. When you're shunning the idea of any possible higher power, you're practicing Atheism. Both are not the same. Atheism is just another religion in that sense where instead of displaying absolute faith in something, you're displaying absolute lack of faith. Neither is science but both can benefit and contribute to science.
    The main point of religion is oppression. If they are not able to oppressed people then they have no salvation to offer. What would they have to offer if everyone was just fine? This is true for many of the major religions, not just Christianity. Christianity, oppresses women, Muslim oppresses women, Buddhism women still aren't equal. Hindu, a class system. Religion would have nothing to offer if people were okay and doing for themselves so they must find ways to control and oppress and make people believe the religion is needed and they will do this at any cost to preserve the religion/control.

How is that relevant to science? You said religion have never in the history helped science. I proved to you otherwise. Now you're running out of things to defend yourself and going for religion bashing. Not very scientist like OR atheist like.

I'm just speaking the truth about religion and why religion was created. Its only offensive because religion in itself has been offensive. Atheism is not a religion by the way. To be a religion you must have a higher power to worship, atheism does not have this, atheism is just a term that means without God. I have no religion and I'll never put a false label/answer to a question just because I do not know the answer, that is true science.

Thank you for finally admitting you're close minded about everything that you donot believe in. Yeesh only took you so long

I think she just won the award for the most close minded person on MFP
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I never said animals weren't meant to be eaten, although I don't eat them. I am a science major. I know and love the circle of life. I am saying that Earth was not made for humans and animals were not made solely for the purpose of serving humans.

the simple fact that the earth was not specifically made for humans does not negate the fact that the earth's resources come in handy from time to time
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

There is nothing that points to a creator, all we have are questions that don't have answers. When you are accepting a 'creator', you are already giving an answer. Its lazy.

No, When you're allowing the possibility of a higher power, then you're practicing science. When you're shunning the idea of any possible higher power, you're practicing Atheism. Both are not the same. Atheism is just another religion in that sense where instead of displaying absolute faith in something, you're displaying absolute lack of faith. Neither is science but both can benefit and contribute to science.
    The main point of religion is oppression. If they are not able to oppressed people then they have no salvation to offer. What would they have to offer if everyone was just fine? This is true for many of the major religions, not just Christianity. Christianity, oppresses women, Muslim oppresses women, Buddhism women still aren't equal. Hindu, a class system. Religion would have nothing to offer if people were okay and doing for themselves so they must find ways to control and oppress and make people believe the religion is needed and they will do this at any cost to preserve the religion/control.

How is that relevant to science? You said religion have never in the history helped science. I proved to you otherwise. Now you're running out of things to defend yourself and going for religion bashing. Not very scientist like OR atheist like.

I'm just speaking the truth about religion and why religion was created. Its only offensive because religion in itself has been offensive. Atheism is not a religion by the way. To be a religion you must have a higher power to worship, atheism does not have this, atheism is just a term that means without God. I have no religion and I'll never put a false label/answer to a question just because I do not know the answer, that is true science.

Religion was not created to control. Religion was created in order to explain our surroundings. When it became involved in government is when it was used as a tool to control.

Atheism does have the trappings of a religion where it has a creation mythology, a clergy and doctrines.
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options
    [/quote]
    At least I can sleep a little better knowing someone else thinks the bible is a joke.
    [/quote]
    This entire thread is a joke!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you are never going to convince the vast majority of human beings to agree with anything you say. None of us will ever experience that. And it isn't worth your time or energy to do so.

I don't necessarily believe humans are better than animals or that animals exist to serve us. But at the same time, as long as the animals are treated humanely, I don't stress about it. Put your time and energy into making sure there are laws about humane treatment, education for the ignorant who abuse animals or don't believe in getting their pets spayed or neutered, and funding for the agencies that enforce the cruelty laws.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you want to pull at that thread? Domesticated animals depend on us. Animals in the wild have shorter life spans than those in "captivity". Animals are happy to be our companions. There is nothing that should drive you 'insane" or make you lose sleep over that. Treating animals like humans does them more harm than good. REAL animal lovers know that.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I never said animals weren't meant to be eaten, although I don't eat them. I am a science major. I know and love the circle of life. I am saying that Earth was not made for humans and animals were not made solely for the purpose of serving humans.

the simple fact that the earth was not specifically made for humans does not negate the fact that the earth's resources come in handy from time to time

Here is a question to turn those gears.

Do you think that humans are a resource to Earth as well?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

They are when they die and decompose.
  • cannonsky
    Options

In a sense yes... but not in the way you are probably implying
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Well played to you both.

I need to think on an answer to that.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

In what way? I wasnt implying anything. It is a broad and open ended question free for discussion.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Ya know, that is infact an excellent question. One that makes you wonder

Were the Europeans a resource to North America? I mean The Native Americans were happy with their lives but then (putting aside all the massacre and oppression) all this development was done here, did that made the non-Native Americans a resource to this land?

I guess you would have to define resource to earth. We have definitely done advancements on the land. So in a way we've improved the earth in a way a mother improves a child by installing culture, ethics, morals, education but on the other hand, we've done (mostly in the recent history) some seriously damaging acts towards Earth too. Hopefully we're making advancements towards the point where while developing we're still taking care of earth and rectifying the cruelties done towards earth
  • cannonsky
    Options

In what way? I wasnt implying anything. It is a broad and open ended question free for discussion.

Well... as ironanimal stated... decomposition makes a wonderful resource for the earth. I suppose maybe I could clarify your statement to say that we are a resource ON the earth rather than TO the earth. We each have the ability to utilize our knowledge and abilities as well as the knowledge and abilities of others in the effort to achieve something.... be it a government or asking that very tall person down the hall to change your lightbulb. In that sense we are all resources to each other. We are able to do things for one another and provide opportunities for growth, knowledge (or the opposite or those if you're a mean one)
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    At least I can sleep a little better knowing someone else thinks the bible is a joke.
    [/quote]
    This entire thread is a joke!!
    [/quote]To those of you who think the Bible is a joke, I feel sorry for you for not having anything to look forward to after death. Also, if nothing else, the Bible is the best history book on the planet. The more scientists try to disprove events, the more they solidify the fatcs of the Bible. Off my soap box now.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm going out of my mind here. I feel like everywhere I go someone wants to argue with me about my beliefs that animals have the right to exist on planet earth just as humans do. Animals were NOT created for the purpose of serving mankind, and humans are NOT the superior species. I can't even sleep tonight knowing that there are so many people that disagree with me. It's so insane to me! So, for my sanity, please let me know if you feel like I do. I need some support here!!!

BTW... This is not about me being vegetarian. This has nothing to do with not eating animals. I am a science major and I happen to appreciate the circle of life. I just choose not to eat animals because I don't want to personally cause them harm. I have no problem with the food chain. This is about thinking humans are superior to animals and that animals are here to serve mankind... NOT TRUE.

i agree, feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please note that certain topics that were formerly off-limits in the public forums are now permitted to remain on the boards, though we strongly recommend utilizing the new Group feature if you are concerned about unwanted commentary on your topic. The moderators will do our best to enforce civil conversation in this thread, and we expect all participants in this thread to abide by the guidelines which you can review in their entirety here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Posts made to publicize existing Groups are allowed in ALL cases on the Public Forums.

Please DO NOT report a post that is advertising a group, or that is proceeding politely and without incident.

If you start a new topic on the Public Forums, please use the following guideline as a filter:

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

At our discretion, this thread may be deleted at any time..

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.