Calling All REAL animal lovers!!!

Options
I'm going out of my mind here. I feel like everywhere I go someone wants to argue with me about my beliefs that animals have the right to exist on planet earth just as humans do. Animals were NOT created for the purpose of serving mankind, and humans are NOT the superior species. I can't even sleep tonight knowing that there are so many people that disagree with me. It's so insane to me! So, for my sanity, please let me know if you feel like I do. I need some support here!!!

BTW... This is not about me being vegetarian. This has nothing to do with not eating animals. I am a science major and I happen to appreciate the circle of life. I just choose not to eat animals because I don't want to personally cause them harm. I have no problem with the food chain. This is about thinking humans are superior to animals and that animals are here to serve mankind... NOT TRUE.

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Sorry dear, all animals are part of the food chain. Some less likely to be eaten than others.

If it makes you feel any better; I am for kindness to the animals I don't eat. And, I love all animals, but believe some are to be eaten as part of a balanced diet.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    A human is an animal too. Just with less hair and a very developed social and economical system.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    Sorry dear, all animals are part of the food chain. Some less likely to be eaten than others.

Every animal is edible. Even I'm edible. But that my dear friend is called cannibalism. And it is frowned upon in most societies...
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but even in the Bible animals are used as sacrifice or as a working animal.
    How do you define a "real" animal lover?
    Because I love animals. SO much I almost became a vet once-upon-a-time, I don't support certain things and I don't support the inhumane treatment of animals either. But how do you define a true lover?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Animals are 'used' by other animals too. Some species of bird purposely lay their eggs in the nests of other species, and many insects use other creatures as live hosts for their young.
  • MadiRose2
    MadiRose2 Posts: 145
    Options

Yeah ^^^, if Humans weren't civilized, we might get eaten by other animals. I mean, think about the humans that get killed at the zoo. It's the circle of life.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

Every animal is edible. Even I'm edible. But that my dear friend is called cannibalism. And it is frowned upon in most societies...

It's not cannibalism if a big bear eats ya...
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it drives me crazy.
    I can't understand how people can actually EAT animals. Do they not think about what goes into it? Death, torture, etc.??!?!?!?

I'm a fairly recent vegetarian (since September/October) but I am so happy that i made this decision. I feel soooo much better about myself because of it.

Sine then, I can't help it, when I see someone eating cow, pig, chicken, etc., I just get really sad. I wonder, do they really understand what they are eating?

That's just part of it, of course. All the stray animals, I wish I could help, but I can't do everything myself. Animal cruelty ... UGH ... it drives me up the wall! I wish I could do MORE!!!
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but even in the Bible animals are used as sacrifice or as a working animal.
    Because I love animals. SO much I almost became a vet once-upon-a-time, I don't support certain things and I don't support the inhumane treatment of animals either. But how do you define a true lover?

The bible? Saying that animals are slaves of men because the bible says so is like saying women will always be inferior and are the reason sin exists.

I feel ya, OP. We have no right controlling the fate of animals. I, however, stopped caring that no one agrees with me.. You might as well sleep.
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    I never said animals weren't meant to be eaten, although I don't eat them. I am a science major. I know and love the circle of life. I am saying that Earth was not made for humans and animals were not made solely for the purpose of serving humans.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    We treat animals a lot like animals treat each other.
    Earth creatures eat one another.
    Welcome to reality.
    If somebody does not want to eat animal flesh, fine. Just don't snivel over the fact that most humans do.
    Life at the top of the food chain has its benefits.
    Buon Appetito
    600180_412912828749527_1148033529_n.jpg
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

It's not cannibalism if a big bear eats ya...

Damn. Quote shut DOWN
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I feel like you do, but theres no way to stop it..
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

The bible? The bible is a joke. Saying that animals are slaves of men because the bible says so is like saying women will always be inferior and are the reason sin exists.

I feel ya, OP. We have no right controlling the fate of animals. I, however, stopped caring that no one agrees with me.. You might as well sleep.

At least I can sleep a little better knowing someone else thinks the bible is a joke.

The bible is a joke.. The earth is also not 6000 years old. Science is the answer to everything.
    Inb4 bible quotes.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Sine then, I can't help it, when I see someone eating cow, pig, chicken, etc., I just get really sad. I wonder, do they really understand what they are eating?

I think most people understand that the chicken breast they are eating came from a previously living animal.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    Things always get dicey when someone brings in Religion and The Bible. Why dont people leeeaaaarrrnnnnn!?!?!?!?!?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Very few people are animal HATERS but not everybody is an animal lover. I loved my dogs and I would definitely steer away if I spot a rodent in the middle of the road while driving but if I had to kill a cow to get another human its heart, I would in a heart beat.

In my eyes, animal cruelty should be punishable. What constitutes as animal cruelty? hurting animals for fun (dog fights, hunting animals yo don't plan to eat) but I am a strong advocate for eating animals. Where I come from, children start slicing and helping the family with butchering at a young age. I think I used the knife on a live animal at age of 11 and have been helping my family split big chunks of meat into smaller from the age of 7 or so.

I eat meat. I like vegetarians. Nothing wrong with vegetarians I say, as long as they leave me alone, I leave them alone.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    ‎"If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?" ~John Cleese
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

The bible? The bible is a joke. Saying that animals are slaves of men because the bible says so is like saying women will always be inferior and are the reason sin exists.

At least I can sleep a little better knowing someone else thinks the bible is a joke.

I can make you sleep REAL good, add me ;)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    THIS is what keeps you up at night? Do you think meat eaters are complete idiots? I am well aware that my chicken was a former live chicken. Same for my hamburger and my bacon. Animals had to die for it to be made. You have no problem with animals eating other animals, but humans (also animals) aren't supposed to eat animals? What kind of crazy hypocrisy is that!?!?
This discussion has been closed.