Calling All REAL animal lovers!!!

Options

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I remember when I was 22 and knew everything.............. ;)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Did you not see the recent news? You know, of the man that was shot 6 times whilst eating another man's face?
    Alright, then, tell me this -- all true carnivores, along with much larger canines than ours, also have an instinct to kill. Every time you see a squirrel hop past you, is your first instinct to chase after it, tear it apart with your bear hands and canines and pick it clean off its bones?

You are aware humans evolved to use tools, right? Which is the reason our appendix is pretty useless, among other things. I'm usually satiated unlike most natural predators; of which many species do not hunt when they've just eaten.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

In the restaurant I work at, even the fruit-flavored hard candies by the till have pork/pig in them.

And I'm lickin up every last sweet drop.

Jokes on you guys.
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    From a fellow scientist..you need to learn very quickly how to separate your personal feelings and beliefs from your subject matter. Especially if you plan to publish. There will always be plenty of people that disagree with you. If you are going to lose sleep over it you should consider a different career path.

Yep.. I hear you.. and my major is Wildlife Science. I actually considered changing majors today because animals are about the only thing on earth that get me emotional and I don't know if I can separate my personal life from my work.
  • lovecrescendo
    lovecrescendo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am TOTALLY on the same boat with you girl!! Like, COMPLETELY.

And everyone says that animals are part of the food chain... but...
    1. If you look at a human's body vs. a carnivore's body (an animal that is SUPPOSED to eat other animals) we are not equipped to eat meat... much longer intestinal tract... no canines (don't give me the crap about our 'canines' --- REAL flesh-eating canines do just that -- rip through raw skin and flesh and muscle. Try that with a human's puny 'canines', won't work), no claws, etc...

Humans dont need those real canines and claws, humans evolved to use tools.

As for real animal cruelty, I dont think anyone really condones that and due to having friends who work in the meat industry in Australia I do know what happens to the animals and how the law makes it humane for the animals here. A lot of the stuff being told abut animal cruelty is out of date scaremongering too and not applicable to all countries.
    That's the main argument I hear, but it's also been proven that a vegan diet is honestly like 100x healthier than the typical diet with red and white meats incorporated. There's been extensive research done. A true vegan's chance of cancer, heart failure, obesity etc. are slim to none. Doesn't that say something about our diets?? About meat?? That there's something seriously wrong if eating this much meat has been proven directly related to these serious health conditions? On top of that, many people have gone vegan simply because they FELT so much better. Doesn't that say something about the foods our body really craves, really wants?

And as far as your animal cruelty statement goes, I believe you are misguided. First of all, we know America and our big industries are all about money -- finding the cheapest, fastest ways to do things. In the meat and dairy industries, this has been done at the expense of other animals. PETA's not exactly my favourite organization in the world, but check out some of these investigations: http://www.peta.org/tv/investigations.aspx All dates are posted and many are quite recent.
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    To OP humans are superior to animals

Gen 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

1.) quote is irrelevant
    2.) quote has to do with massive reproduction, not superiority. If higher population = superior, bacteria are way more superior than humans.

Agreed.

"RULE OVER..." when someone rules they are usually superior

When something isn't scientifically proven and derived on facts it usually isn't true.
  • acal09
    acal09 Posts: 3
    Options

1. If you look at a human's body vs. a carnivore's body (an animal that is SUPPOSED to eat other animals) we are not equipped to eat meat... much longer intestinal tract... no canines (don't give me the crap about our 'canines' --- REAL flesh-eating canines do just that -- rip through raw skin and flesh and muscle. Try that with a human's puny 'canines', won't work), no claws, etc...

Did you not see the recent news? You know, of the man that was shot 6 times whilst eating another man's face?
    Alright, then, tell me this -- all true carnivores, along with much larger canines than ours, also have an instinct to kill. Every time you see a squirrel hop past you, is your first instinct to chase after it, tear it apart with your bear hands and canines and pick it clean off its bones?

They don't always kill whenever prey walks before them. I do, however, always (instinctively?) kill roaches when they walk in front of me? What does that make me?
  • lovecrescendo
    Options

You are aware humans evolved to use tools, right? Which is the reason our appendix is pretty useless, among other things. I'm usually satiated unlike most natural predators; of which many species do not hunt when they've just eaten.
    This is the argument someone else just threw at me -- let me quote what I said to them for you...
    That's the main argument I hear, but it's also been proven that a vegan diet is honestly like 100x healthier than the typical diet with red and white meats incorporated. There's been extensive research done. A true vegan's chance of cancer, heart failure, obesity etc. are slim to none. Doesn't that say something about our diets?? About meat?? That there's something seriously wrong if eating this much meat has been proven directly related to these serious health conditions? On top of that, many people have gone vegan simply because they FELT so much better. Doesn't that say something about the foods our body really craves, really wants?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    BTW, if the killing of animals for eats is keeping you awake, then maybe you should take a walk outside and see other atrocities happening. Poverty, child hunger, drug abuse, uncureable diseases. There are alot of problems really one can lose sleep over. Not saying animal love isn't a noble cause but considering this is something that has been going on since the cave men time and something that a lot of other animals participate over too, maybe you should focus on real issues rather than telling others what to eat

Hmm, I don't really care that much. As for uncurable diseases, I watched and held my father's hand a few months ago as he died of cancer. I have a lot of other problems that I lose sleep over, but they mostly don't have to do with random people I don't care about. And if you could read, you'd see I said that this had nothing to do with vegetarianism.

Yeah...we all have family members who've been through these things. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer that later on led to a fatal brain cancer. Everybody got problems, you're not a snow flake in the world with problems.

But since you have all these problems, you chose to lose sleep over this topic shows how many problems you REALLY have
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has converted 30 meat-eaters to vegan himself. The veg population IS growing.
    That sounds awful. Not really my, or any others', place to try to convert other people, is it? I think that most converts who aren't doing it of their own volition are going to revert back to their previous lifestyle, anyway. If for no other reason than it's easier.

I know all about how animals are treated in the food processes. I was eating a steak when I watched Food, Inc. I ate (homemade) hamburgers when I watched Super Size Me. I didn't think about what I was watching when I clicked play.

It's disturbing what happens, but it unfortunately does. Largely it's because of the institutionalization within the government and such, but all in all most of us allow it to happen in some way. People are becoming more educated about it, maybe in a hundred years conditions will be better. I doubt it, but we can be hopeful. In the meantime I would focus more on informing people of better conditions for animals, as opposed to converting to vegetarianism, that's more likely to have a long term and positive effect.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love the self-righteousness in this thread

"Bash anyone who wants to eat meat"

"Bash anyone who believes in religion"

"All of my personal believes are perfectly fine and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my mentality. Its everybody else who is crazy!"

Exactly. Why can't you disagree with someone without being rude about it?
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    BTW, if the killing of animals for eats is keeping you awake, then maybe you should take a walk outside and see other atrocities happening. Poverty, child hunger, drug abuse, uncureable diseases. There are alot of problems really one can lose sleep over. Not saying animal love isn't a noble cause but considering this is something that has been going on since the cave men time and something that a lot of other animals participate over too, maybe you should focus on real issues rather than telling others what to eat

Hmm, I don't really care that much. As for uncurable diseases, I watched and held my father's hand a few months ago as he died of cancer. I have a lot of other problems that I lose sleep over, but they mostly don't have to do with random people I don't care about. And if you could read, you'd see I said that this had nothing to do with vegetarianism.

Yeah...we all have family members who've been through these things. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer that later on led to a fatal brain cancer. Everybody got problems, you're not a snow flake in the world with problems.

But since you have all these problems, you chose to lose sleep over this topic shows how many problems you REALLY have

Never said I was. :) But since you're hanging around purposely trying to hurt people's feelings, I'd say you have some problems you need to work out.
  • acal09
    acal09 Posts: 3
    Options
    We happen to just be very lucky that we have developed a very cognitive brain along hands to manipulate our environment.

Luck had nothing to do with it
  • lovecrescendo
    Options

They don't always kill whenever prey walks before them. I do, however, always (instinctively?) kill roaches when they walk in front of me? What does that make me?
    When a carnivore is hungry, and it sees an animal bouncing past it, yes, it's instinct is to kill it and eat it. It's survival for carnivores. That's how they live. That's why they have that instinct. I don't think that's a fair comparison either because it's not your instinct to kill it and rip it to shreds with your teeth and then eat it. You're killing it out of fear, or perhaps because you know it's a pest and you also know that's what you do to household pests is kill them.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Our food behavior is learned, also with many animals and I'm sure if I was hungry and that has been my food source I would want to find a way to kill it and eat it. Heck, I can look at pigs and think of them as food and how tasty they are.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    129095359556956318.jpg
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I never said animals weren't meant to be eaten, although I don't eat them. I am a science major. I know and love the circle of life. I am saying that Earth was not made for humans and animals were not made solely for the purpose of serving humans.

I think I get what you're saying here.
    I don't think they're here to serve us either. I think they're here to be companions and learn from.
    Though sometimes they're tasty with BBQ sauce that doesn't exactly make us "superior".
    Am I close?:huh:

Haha. You my dear, are correct.

YAY ME!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    My favorite part of my morning routine is sitting on the porch with my coffee and watching the local birds, squirrels and cats get their breakfasts. Even try to keep the grass a little on the "long" side so it's better for those early morning bug treats :wink:

Yes!!! Everyone should be like you! :)

My main aspiration is to have a small home in the middle of nowhere so I can watch my animal neighbors and avoid other humans :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well, other humans other than my husband and children :wink:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    bacon_tco.jpg
  • lovecrescendo
    Options
    A friend of mine has converted 30 meat-eaters to vegan himself. The veg population IS growing.
    That sounds awful. Not really my, or any others', place to try to convert other people, is it? I think that most converts who aren't doing it of their own volition are going to revert back to their previous lifestyle, anyway. If for no other reason than it's easier.

I know all about how animals are treated in the food processes. I was eating a steak when I watched Food, Inc. I ate (homemade) hamburgers when I watched Super Size Me. I didn't think about what I was watching when I clicked play.

It's disturbing what happens, but it unfortunately does. Largely it's because of the institutionalization within the government and such, but all in all most of us allow it to happen in some way. People are becoming more educated about it, maybe in a hundred years conditions will be better. I doubt it, but we can be hopeful. In the meantime I would focus more on informing people of better conditions for animals, as opposed to converting to vegetarianism, that's more likely to have a long term and positive effect.
    Perhaps 'convert' wasn't the right word -- his blog exposes the harsh truth of what goes on in the meat and dairy industries. People have discovered his blog and discovered the truth and have decided to go vegan. It's not like he pressured his beliefs on them, that's not what I was trying to say, but I guess it came out that way, haha.

You're right, many of us know what's going on and still allow it to happen -- however, every day, more and more people discover what's going on and are NOT okay with it. It's not about being hopeful -- do you think women were just 'hopeful' that one day they would have equal rights as men? No, they took a stand, they fought for what they believed in. And that's what the animal activist community is doing.
  • FULTZ10
    FULTZ10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    To OP humans are superior to animals

Gen 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

1.) quote is irrelevant
    2.) quote has to do with massive reproduction, not superiority. If higher population = superior, bacteria are way more superior than humans.

Agreed.

"RULE OVER..." when someone rules they are usually superior

When something isn't scientifically proven and derived on facts it usually isn't true.

But the Bible is true. I believe the bible because it is a reliable collection of historical documents written down by eye witnesses during the life time of other eye witnesses. That reports supernatural events that took place in fulfillment of specific prophecies and claim to be divine rather than human in origin, like Psalm 22 which is a description of Christ crucifixion written by a man who had never seen a crucifixion because it had not been invented yet. The bible has more than 6000 manuscripts, which are all the same, proving it hasn’t been changed. The bible was written by 40+ authors in a time frame of 1600 years and three continents, and it all lines up so it must be God-breathed therefore true.
This discussion has been closed.