Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda often, and if I do it's ginger ale or regular drinks. I find all diet drinks to taste fake, and I really don't like the whole artificial sweetener and colorings in my diet.
  • amy0975
    amy0975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found that Diet Soda's cause me to retain water really bad. The sodium is terrible in those things. I am guilty of having one ever so often, but I try to stay away. I would rather see weight loss than have a soda.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I prefer diet pepsi, but I am slowing changing to Propel Zero flavored water, with no sugar, no calories!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is something I will not give up, now I just have 1 a day instead of 3 LOL!!
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Diet Pepsi tastes better...................................2-3 cans a day for me over the last 25 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah pepsi is way better! i'm also into kinesiology and nutrition, nice!
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I would go for something with less real sugar as opposed to more sugar substitute. Pepsi Next is 60 calories, but it's 60 calories of natural sugar, not the stuff that turns your kidneys into a fine leather handbag.
  • Sahri21
    Sahri21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Aspertame can cause an allergic reaction in certain people. My stepmom went on Atikins and started drinking all sorts of diet pepsi and got horribly sick after a while, now she can't even chew sugar free gum (most contain aspertame) without getting sick. But I eat yoplait light yogurt (I like how it tastes better than the normal) and it doesn't bother me at all.

Though as far as health is concerned, eating less processed man-made food is probably going to be much better for your health.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have found that Diet Soda's cause me to retain water really bad. The sodium is terrible in those things. I am guilty of having one ever so often, but I try to stay away. I would rather see weight loss than have a soda.

Actually diet sodas are low in sodium.
  • chrismamao
    chrismamao Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation!
    I drink it about 4-5x a week. Especially if I'm out to dinner.
    I'm a fan of Diet Dr. Pepper & Coke Zero.
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's not part of eating clean - basically a chemical cocktail. Better to do a nice herb tea or of you want fizz do a carbonated water.

Posts like this crack me up. People are so good at coming up with scaaaary sounding stuff that means absolutely nothing.

"Chemical cocktail". Well, so is tea. Steeping herbs or tea leaves requires the chemical properties of the water and of the substances (tannins, flavanoids, polyphenols, antioxidants, caffeine, etc) in the leaf to interact.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Pepsi Max, Diet Dew, Diet A&W & the best of all, the 10 manly calories in Dr. Pepper 10! Regular pop tastes like crap with all that sugar!

Whatever happened to what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger? Everything is bad for you in one way or another, & remember, it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years!

Funny, I love Diet Dr Pepper, I dig Regular Dr Pepper (though I generally don't drink it anymore) and if I can score it, Dr Pepper made with SUGAR and not HFCS is awesome because you can slowly heat it and the Maillard reaction transforms it into liquid gold (figuratively speaking)

But the 10 calorie Dr Pepper tastes like they took normal Dr Pepper and added water to it until it was only 10 calories a serving. Awful awful stuff.

Oh and pick up your can and look at the logo, it's Dr Pepper and not Dr. Pepper :tongue:
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 a day. That said, my husband used it to remove battery acid corrosion from my car last night. Worked like a charm :smile:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The latest I have read is they have found a link btw diet soda drinkers and obesity by way of cravings for carbs (I believe)

There's nothing conclusive to that. There's been a lot of speculation, but no link.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast

I find that there is a link.. for me. There may or may not be a link for you. Not TASTING sweet constantly allowed me to better control my cravings for sweet, and I find that a much smaller amount of sweet now satisfies me and the kind of amounts I used to have of it I now find revolting.

But that's me. I make no claims about how giving up a constant input of sweet flavor might affect anyone else's dietary preferences. I'd urge you to experiment with it for yourself if you have an interest in it.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've actually learned that diet sodas are worse for you than regulars. The "0 calorie" kind of fools you. In diet sodas, the synthetic sugars don't mesh well with the enzymes you have in your stomach. This causes you to bloat and expand in your waist, and you'll gain the weight in your mid-section, which is the worst part of your body to carry your weight. Just saying :)
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink Tab. Two cans a day. Flame away. :-)
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    I drink diet pop all the time.
    My sister drank it all the time while PREGNANT and her kids have all their toes.
    My Grandmother drinks it and she is 95 living on her own.

I dislike the diet pop nazis :)

MMMMMM mcdonalds fountain pop!!

I agree that Mcd's has the best Diet Coke. I get it with lemon and it is DIVINE!!!

I am currently drinking 1-2 cans a day, down from 4-5. I wasn't even drinking water then. In an ideal world I would not drink it at all, but I don't see that happening anytime soon!
  • colpol1
    colpol1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hate diet coke, but I am a sucker for regular coke, something I seriously need to cut down on!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    A Sugar is natural. Aspartame is not.

Your body can't tell natural sugar from artificial sugar, to it, sugar is sugar.
    PS I stay away from drinking my calories in general. Your body doesn't register it as food so you're still hungry. The only thing I drink is water.
    ^^^yes!
    Your body can tell sugar from uranium. (Ha.)

And neither will kill you...in moderation! I don't necessarily advocate eating heaping amounts of either.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I drink it all the time, mixed with a little bacardi it is my beer subsitute :-) But serisouly as stated before no harm, but moderation is the key word.
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I usually drink one or two diet drinks a day. Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite of the diet sodas. :)