Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    That stuff is not good for you. It's pretty much like drinking liquid chemicals - not good for your body! There are 'soda' like drinks that are made from all natural sweetener, like zevia. You should look into those :)
    Everything you drink is a chemical (from a scientific standpoint). Now dependent on how your body reacts to it is how you gauge if it's good for you or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    They are the devil!
  • delkins685
    Options
    I drink one maybe two cans a day. I've tried to give it up, but it's too hard!
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well I gave it all up and feel better than ever! Not claiming its cause and effect, just stating my personal facts.

^^^^^^This!!!!!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's just crap.

Ignoring the health stuff - fizzy drinks are so bad for teeth. Why not just have fresh juice instead or concentrate?
    It's sugar that's bad for the teeth not the fizz. And juice has more sugar than many other sodas.

IDEA Fitness member

I drink no added sugar, and there is research that concludes even carbonated water is bad for teeth, never mind when you add diet coke syrup.

Point being - unless you want to stick with plain water the whole time, then you will want some flavoured drink. Carbonated beverages are worse.
    Really? I'd like to see the research on the carbonated water. Provide me with a link.
    And whether or not you drink no "added" sugar, juice still has sugar. Ask any dentist what's worse for teeth: sugar or fizzy water with no sugar.

IDEA Fitness member

Unfortunately can't give you access to the full article but if you go here you can see the abstract:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-263X.2006.00784.x/abstract;jsessionid=D67B5D94E512F58724F1253E5CF94C98.d03t02

Again though - I understand that sugar will harm teeth - but I believe from what I've seen that diet coke and other carbonated beverages are significantly worse than concentrated juice diluted in water.

Interesting fact that neither supports/contradicts, or even bears any relation to the original point - diet coke is 99% water.
    Well the link mentions "sparkling water" but nothing of diet soda or any sodas. But personally I will research this myself and let you know what I come up with. If carbonated water (which is NOT what the article is about) does cause erosion I want to know.

IDEA Fitness member

Sparkling water and carbonated water are one and the same. Soda is just carbonated pop so it stands to reason that if water doesn't deteriorate teeth, but carbonated water does, then carbonated beverages such as diet coke will also harm teeth.

I think also rather than actually deteriorating teeth, the problem is that they stain them.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of research into aspartame and the effects on weight loss and metabolism. I do drink one can a day. I had a break for 5 years from all caffeine related products because I thought they were exasperating another condition and previous to that I did drink a lot and lost a lot of weight.

What are your thoughts on it. I drink mainly sugar free squash the rest of the time and the odd hot drink.

I'll simplify this - When I first began this quest to be a new me, the first thing I did was cut soda. I felt better and lost 2 pounds, just cutting the soda. Three months later I have changed so much of my habits and such - I have lost 27 pounds - and believe it or not - don't miss soda at all..... All I drink now is water, iced tea (natural) unsweetened w/ lemon, and protein shakes.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can't stand regular sodas! I have been drinking all kinds of diet soda and iced tea for over 30 years. Either I have a weird body chemistry, or the popular studies are very wrong. Anyway, it doesn't seem to adversely affect me in any perceivable way.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

In terms of drinking it, see what I just said.
    So will baking soda, but apparently it's okay to ingest. The hydrochloric acid in your stomach obliterates the fizz in any soft drink.

IDEA Fitness member

In all honesty, I can say I've never eaten baking soda daily.

Diet coke has Phosphoric Acid in it which is what strips the finish off of metal. It actually neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach which we need to digest food.....from which nutrients are obtained......meaning a further loss of minerals in your body because of inadequate digestion. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from your body in an effort to satisfy the body's desire to balance phosphorus and calcium.

Having a diet coke a day is not going to kill you.....probably not going to have any effect, but is it good for you?
    Alkalines neutralize acids. Acids don't neutralize other acids. Where are you coming up with this stuff? Recent research actually points to caffeine as the possible culprit to calcium loss.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/74/5/569.full

You're right on your last statement. It won't kill you (or else dead bodies would be everywhere) but being good? That's subjective. If it stops you from consuming high calorie sweets, then yes. If you're talking from a nutritional value, then no.

IDEA Fitness member

I got that information from a M.D. (David Reuben)

http://life.familyeducation.com/nutrition-and-diet/healthy-lifestyle/36000.html
    MD's aren't chemists.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RayMay4
    RayMay4 Posts: 7
    Options
    Although I have not researched this I have heard that diet sodas and aspartame can effect memory. If you drink these often, maybe test going without. Make 20 definition flash cards that you don't know the meaning of. Drill yourself on 10 of the cards for 3 days of drinking these beverages. Then wait 3 days and drill yourself on the other ten. Which ones do you learn faster?
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Regarding teeth....I drink it still, not NEARLY as much as I used to, but the effects of it are bad, and dental work is expensive...here is a MUST SEE!!!

The coke and egg experiment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSxNNCHPsa8
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

So will baking soda, but apparently it's okay to ingest. The hydrochloric acid in your stomach obliterates the fizz in any soft drink.

IDEA Fitness member

Diet coke has Phosphoric Acid in it which is what strips the finish off of metal. It actually neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach which we need to digest food.....from which nutrients are obtained......meaning a further loss of minerals in your body because of inadequate digestion. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from your body in an effort to satisfy the body's desire to balance phosphorus and calcium.

Having a diet coke a day is not going to kill you.....probably not going to have any effect, but is it good for you?
    Alkalines neutralize acids. Acids don't neutralize other acids. Where are you coming up with this stuff? Recent research actually points to caffeine as the possible culprit to calcium loss.

You're right on your last statement. It won't kill you (or else dead bodies would be everywhere) but being good? That's subjective. If it stops you from consuming high calorie sweets, then yes. If you're talking from a nutritional value, then no.

IDEA Fitness member

MD's aren't chemists.

IDEA Fitness member

So what you are saying is he's wrong?
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't personally like Diet Coke, but I love Diet Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, and Diet Pepsi. Dr. Pepper 10 is good as well. I don't think it's bad for you in moderation. Also, drink water too. I use a lot of Crystal Light stuff as well as MiO and just plain ice water. Tea is good as well.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sparkling water and carbonated water are one and the same. Soda is just carbonated pop so it stands to reason that if water
    doesn't deteriorate teeth, but carbonated water does, then carbonated beverages such as diet coke will also harm teeth.

I think also rather than actually deteriorating teeth, the problem is that they stain them.
    Staining I can agree with since many people (my uncle is a dentist) have issues with coffee, cola, tobacco, etc. staining their teeth.

IDEA Fitness member
  • awwwshux25
    awwwshux25 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to drink things that are lower in sodium. Meijer has diet soda with only 10 mgs of sodium per can.

I know it isn't the best thing in the world for me but if I want it i am going to drink it but mostly I stick to water.
  • roseombre
    roseombre Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Diet Coke and / or diet soft drinks since they first came out without any adverse effects. Doesn't matter if I'm fat or skinny and I've been both. I did change to caffeine free diet cokes long ago and I rarely drink coffee so I get very little caffeine. I hate water and have to force myself to drink it. I also have to flavor it most of the time. Best water I have ever had was when I lived in Detroit, Michigan and when I visited Rome, Italy. I don't like the Splenda sugered cokes. I don't know about all the things that are in the cokes that people claim are harmful. I just know that I'm alive and well; 71 years old, don't take any meds at all, and have been drinking sodas since I was 14!
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Regarding teeth....I drink it still, not NEARLY as much as I used to, but the effects of it are bad, and dental work is expensive...here is a MUST SEE!!!

The coke and egg experiment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSxNNCHPsa8

I remember doing that experiment in Life Science. It was fun watching people get yolk all over them.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Let's boil the argument down:

1. Low-calorie sweeteners rarely claim any actual health BENEFITS other than sweetening things for fewer calories.
    2. Low-calorie sweeteners are relatively new, so the risks of them, although pretty low, are largely unknown. There are specific members of the population with specific reactions, and on the whole they are generally considered pretty safe, but they haven't been around for 2-3 generations like other products have.

Compare low-cal sweeteners to sugar, and if you have trouble controlling your calories low-cal sweeteners win. Being overweight has real, quantifiable, proven risks. Those outweigh the risk of a reasonably-safe sweetener. So if you absolutely cannot give up sweet taste, use the low-cal sweetener if you can't fit the calories of sugar into your budget or lifestyle.

Compare low-cal sweetener to no sweetener, and no sweetener wins. Even though there are no PROVEN risks to low-cal sweeteners in non-sensitive groups and any risk may be low or even mythical scaremongering, it's a simple fact that there are NO risks associated with NOT using them.

If you are struggling with calories and need to lose weight: WATER (is better than) DIET SODA (is better than) FULL-SUGAR SODA.

If you're worried about possible effects of low-cal sweeteners: WATER (is better than) FULL-SUGAR SODA (is better than) DIET SODA.

The common theme between the two risk/reward comparisons above is pretty simple. Water comes out on top, ALWAYS, if your priority is concern about your health.

Choose where on the continuum you belong, and drink up with your beverage of choice.
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

MD's aren't chemists.

IDEA Fitness member

So what you are saying is he's wrong?
    Yes. Hydrochloric acid is very strong and the base needed to neutralize it would be substantial.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let's boil the argument down:

1. Low-calorie sweeteners rarely claim any actual health BENEFITS other than sweetening things for fewer calories.
    2. Low-calorie sweeteners are relatively new, so the risks of them, although pretty low, are largely unknown. There are specific members of the population with specific reactions, and on the whole they are generally considered pretty safe, but they haven't been around for 2-3 generations like other products have.

Compare low-cal sweeteners to sugar, and if you have trouble controlling your calories low-cal sweeteners win. Being overweight has real, quantifiable, proven risks. Those outweigh the risk of a reasonably-safe sweetener. So if you absolutely cannot give up sweet taste, use the low-cal sweetener if you can't fit the calories of sugar into your budget or lifestyle.

Compare low-cal sweetener to no sweetener, and no sweetener wins. Even though there are no PROVEN risks to low-cal sweeteners in non-sensitive groups and any risk may be low or even mythical scaremongering, it's a simple fact that there are NO risks associated with NOT using them.

If you are struggling with calories and need to lose weight: WATER (is better than) DIET SODA (is better than) FULL-SUGAR SODA.

If you're worried about possible effects of low-cal sweeteners: WATER (is better than) FULL-SUGAR SODA (is better than) DIET SODA.

The common theme between the two risk/reward comparisons above is pretty simple. Water comes out on top, ALWAYS, if your priority is concern about your health.

Choose where on the continuum you belong, and drink up with your beverage of choice.
    THIS! It comes down to choice.

IDEA Fitness member