Options

Replies

• jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Diet Mountain Dew is my friend.
  • AmethystSif
    Options
    I'm not worried about aspartame causing cancer or defects or anything but I do think cutting out diet sodas does help weight loss. I've never been into drinking my calories and I had a pretty heavy diet wild cherry pepsi habit for a while because, hey-- no calories right? Must be okay! I've read studies about it contributing to weight gain and while they have been pretty much debunked (see website below for good info) I feel as thought cutting it out as part of a changing my lifestyle does help. It's easier to reach for fruit or tea when you don't have the option of a fake sugary drink.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's just crap.

Ignoring the health stuff - fizzy drinks are so bad for teeth. Why not just have fresh juice instead or concentrate?
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love it (and diet Dr. Pepper- especially if it's cherry flavored) BUT, I've had to ban myself from them. I can only speak from my own experience, but A. it definitely would stall my loss.. and I don't exactly get why, other than diet soda fills me up, I end up not eating as much as I would without it, so I wouldn't hit my calorie goal (for days on end).. so starvation mode= body clinging fat reserves? Just a theory. And B. every.single.time I eat/drink sugar-free crap, I get a pain in my lower left quadrant (liver?) and figure it's my body's way of telling me to quit ingesting chemicals.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me that I haven't yet opened my coke zero. yum :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    A. To me, Diet Coke tastes like liquified buttholes.

Mmmm now THAT sounds tasty
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i used to hate fizzy drinks but now that i'm dieting i drink one small bottle of diet coke a day (it kills sugar cravings and has no calories). i also drink at least 3 liters of water a day so it's ok.
    my sense tells me it has no calories so it can't make you fat but i feel bloated after i drink it and even the morning after i have it. i'm scared it will make me put on weight on my waist. but as i write this im drinking it, after all, zero calories looks good in my food diary.
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

In terms of drinking it, see what I just said.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Is there research on it or just internet myths? I believe it's harmless. The FDA believes it's harmless.

FDA?! SchmeshDA!

FDA sponsored by who?

To anyone interested, check out the Sweet Misery documentary, available on-line ... Watch that and tell me there isn't reasonable doubt ...
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    My need for diet Coke is similar to my need for oxygen....must have!!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Some say that artificial sweeteners cause them to crave more sweets. I don't find that happens to me. Some avoid it because it causes migraines.

Unless you have a medical issue with the ingredients I don't think there's a reason to not drink it. I drink it regularly... I prefer the taste of the diet over the sweetness of regular pop however some people hate the taste.

For me I find diet pop helps me to not eat. It's a treat for me as I don't have it regularly so it helps for me.
  • heatherina1983
    Options
    Blurgh can't stand the taste of it. I'll have a can of regular coke every so often. I really wish I liked the taste of water but I find it hard to drink unless i'm exercising or dying of thirst. Tend to stick to squash.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop all the time.
    My sister drank it all the time while PREGNANT and her kids have all their toes.
    My Grandmother drinks it and she is 95 living on her own.

That's enough scientific data for me to keep drinking it!! Awesome! thanks! lol
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet cokes everyday. There was nothing better than a diet coke with real lime from Sonic. It never affected my weight loss either. However, during this time, I got headaches daily. My doctor told me to quit drinking all diet drinks or drinks that contain aspartame. He suggested having a "real" coke once or twice a week as a treat but stay away from diet, so I did and the heachaches disappeared. Pretty scary! I still need caffeine but now I drink black coffee.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I mix Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry with Sprite Zero, half and half. Best tasting diet drink I have found.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Probably harmless, the FDA is happy with it.

I will, however, state a non-medical personal two-part opinion on sweet drinks which you may take or ignore as you like.

Chemicals are our friends. We use chemicals every day for a variety of ways to benefit our bodies. I submit that using a chemical to make a drink sweet may not be an optimal use if you can learn to do without it. There's a near-zero chance that aspartame is hurting your weight loss, but a zero chance that unsweetened water would.

I found when I was drinking soda frequently that the daily ingestion of something sweet exacerbated my cravings for other sweet things, even if that sweet was from a zero-calorie sweetener. I switched from full-sugar soda to diet, and didn't notice much of a difference. When I gave up soda entirely, my outlook on food underwent a pretty dramatic change for the better. In my personal experience, which may or may not match yours, I find things like donuts and sweets a lot easier to resist now that the diet soda monkey is off my back. I also enjoy the actual taste of sweet things more but get tired of the sweetness sooner, and therefore can get by with a lot less of them to satisfy what cravings I do have. My overall diet is a lot cleaner, and it wasn't really much of a conscious effort on my part once the diet soda went bye-bye.
  • elaineanne1
    elaineanne1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i do drink diet coke but wish I did'nt, I try to keep it down to one a one a day unless I am feeling stressed.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I may have one every once in a while, like one in two weeks/
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I think that its made with aspartame, not splenda? My nursing instructor told us that aspartame (nutrasweet) is neurotoxic by allowing too much glutamate into the cells, which may eventually cause multiple sclerosis, parkinsons disease, alzheimers, brain lesions. She said that splenda is not as bad for you.

She also said that when you open the pop and all of the mist comes off of it, it is actually formaldehyde (embalming fluid), there is much more of it when the diet coke is at room temp.

Real pop is healthier for you than diet. You are not going to automatically die if you drink it, it happens slowly.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is there research on it or just internet myths? I believe it's harmless. The FDA believes it's harmless.

There is tons out there of proven studies that show how dangerous it is. You just have to go look it all up yourself because the media and food companies wont tell you these things. And its not like if you drink it, your going to automatically get sick or die, its very slow and causes other problems, cancers, etc that they blame on other things. Also...the FDA is a joke...look up and do your research on them. If it comes out of the mouths of the FDA then you can bet its a lie. Most people though believe them and wont ever do their own research and see the ties and the truth. Thats all Im going to say about this though because I know that nothing I say will change anyones mind, it will probably go in one ear and out the other like it always does with most people:) Everyone has to make their own decisions and make the best choice for them:) Zero and Free drinks also contain it along with most low fat and non fat products. Eat & Drink the real stuff and do it in moderation.

~Carrie~