Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for posting this!!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump to find later. Been wanting to learn to do a pullup.
  • obored1
    obored1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Love this. Doing my first pullup was like a breakthrough for me. I literally called my boyfriend over from the next room to show him. One of my goals is to be able to do 10.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow MFP'ers. It's your "friendly" neighborhood Joe here to speak with you today about the SCALE of upper body strength known as THE PULLUP.

If someone were to come up to me and try to "size me up" asking me if I "worked out" or was "into bodybuilding", and he or she asked me "What do you bench?" I would chuckle a bit and then give them two answers:

First answer: My 1RM is 285. This is partly due to a tender left shoulder rotator cuff.

Second answer: A good measure or scale of upper body strength is NOT the Bench Press, it is the Pullup.

Ask any serious bodybuilder or strength trainer. Unless you are competing in powerlifting or you are in the NFL Combine, strength is measured by how many pullups you can do. This is mostly the reason why boot camp in the military they test you on pullups.

Example: If we are at war or there is a zombie apocalypse, do you think being able to Bench Press 500lbs is going to help you in ANY WAY to survive? No, it's not. But, if you can do pullups and pull your own bodyweight up with EASE, your ability to survive goes up dramatically.

Before I talk about ways to strengthen your pullups, let me first state this and I'll put it in bold so it sinks:

DO NOT use the assisted pullup machine to try to build strength. I will repeat this. DO NOT use the assisted pullup machien to try to build strength.

The pullup assist machine is VERY different from doing REAL pullups or chinups. The form is different. The position and ease for your legs is different. It is not the same in any way, shape or form. I will give you some tips below on how to strengthen your pullups/chinups. It may be hard at first, but it will get easier.

1. Start with multiple sets of low reps.

Do 10 sets of 1 pullup with 30 seconds rest in between sets. Time yourself. Only take 30 seconds max. When you can do 1 pullup with ease, then move onto to 10 sets of 2 pullups. Go until you can perform 10 sets of 5 pullups with 30 seconds rest. Once you achieve this, then you'll be able to do 10 pullups pretty easily for your first set. Trust me this works.

2. Use resistance bands.

Loop a resistance band around the pullup bar, and then around your knee for assistance. This is NOT the same as using the "pullup assist machine".

3. Strengthen your grip.

Either use grip strengtheners, do Deadlifts, Plate pinches, or do Heavy Bar Pulls and hold for 10-20 seconds. You'd be surprised at how this will help your pullups.

4. Do chinups.

Chinups are a lot easier to do over Pullups as they use the biceps. Pullups have a lot more back involvement though.

5. Use hip drive.

I don't care what anyone says. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using momentum when starting out to build pullup strength. Granted you need to eventually do pullups without hip drive, but it will help with strength.

6. Perform negative movements.

Start in the up position, and go down slow. This will help not only form, but strength as well.

7. Do weighted 10-2's.

Grab a weighted vest or a chained weight-belt and add plates to it. Do 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 seconds rest.

8. Don't go to failure.

One of the biggest mistakes people do with pullups and/or chinups is they go to failure. This does not help you. Your form suffers, you can risk shoulder injuries. It's just not a good idea. Do as many pullups as you can with GOOD form.

9. Make sure you start in proper position.

You need to start with your arms straight, pull your shoulder blades down and lock your shoulders into their sockets. Do NOT start with your shoulders up near your ears like you're doing a shoulder shrug. This is NOT proper form at all.

10. Initiate with your lats.

When you start to pull, keep shoulders back, head up and fire your lats FIRST, not your biceps/arms. If you are doing this correctly, you'll know it.

11. Drive your elbows down.

Make sure you drive your elbows down and back. Don't pull with your biceps.

12. Pull your chin over the bar.

Sure when you're starting to build strength, you may not be able to which is fine, but eventually you need to. Nothing else needs to be said.

13. Use different grips.

Palms facing away, Palms facing you, Palms facing each other. Also use different widths of your grip.

14. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout your set.

Don't lock your elbows in the middle of a set. Keep them bent at all times.

That's it. Building pullup strength takes time just like anything else. You'll get it with patience and practice.

Until the next time my friends.

This is your "friendly" neighborhood Joe....signing off.

I'm late to the game but I used the assisted pull-up machine and I can no longer need it. I worked the counter weight down and now I can do pull ups fine without it. I now pull up on the cable cage using a stool to get up there. Not sure why you insist that someone can't use it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Excellent post - thank you. I love bodyweight exercises and the way everthing works together. Pullups are the ultimate goal for me; working on negatives right now and looking forward to my first real one!

Many thanks, much appreciated.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Awesome - i really need to nail these - now I can try using your suggestions - thanks so much!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Excellent read Joe. I am using the assisted machine so I guess from your post I should NOT be. ;o) I will search out the appropriate machine at the gym and get on this.

Stop using it, and either start with Chinups or start with 10 sets of 1 rep. If you can't do 1 rep, you can use a resistance band. Gyms have them. You can pick one up at Sports Authority or ****'s Sporting Goods for cheap.

the assisted machines get a lot of use at my gym...are you saying they are a waste of time or that they are detrimental?

what about lat pull downs? do they get you better prepared for pull ups?

good tips

Assisted machines get a lot of use because people are put into this mindset from "trainers" or their friends that they work. You might get a little benefit from them. You are better off taking it slow and start with Pullups without the machine, and go through the guidelines I outlined in the first post.

How can they not work if you progressively lower the counterweight which increases the workload? And why exactly is a band not the same as an assisted pull up machine if all its doing is essentially creating upward force to assist the person pulling themselves up?

I'm just curious because I used both bands and assisted pull up machine to proceed to unassisted pull-ups. I have no use for either anymore.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks!
  • LabrakaDebra
    LabrakaDebra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks - bump for later!
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been working on doing pullups for a while now. Will totally try your advise.

Thanks for posting.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump**
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else moist right now?

No??

Just me???

hrmph.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can find this again.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to do a pull up. My boyfriend makes fun of me because I can't do one!! :(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to do a pull up. My boyfriend makes fun of me because I can't do one!! :(

Pull ups are very hard for women. We just do not have the same muscle/weight ratio, especially in our top halves. Keep working at it and you will get there.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Instead of making fun of you, he should be showing you ways to improve!

I suggest doing it when he's not around. Do negatives, do static holds (grab something and pull yourself up as long as you can, even if you don't move an inch lol), just DO it as often as possible...and soon you'll find that you can do pullups relatively easily. Then it's 'BAM!!' in his face :).

It's definitely more difficult for women, but certainly not impossible. Determination is everything!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the game but I used the assisted pull-up machine and I can no longer need it. I worked the counter weight down and now I can do pull ups fine without it. I now pull up on the cable cage using a stool to get up there. Not sure why you insist that someone can't use it.

Same here. I have never found that my "form" is different when I'm using the assisted vs. doing them unassisted. You work at it until you can't counter weight any more and at that point you do them unassisted.

Before doing them this way I tried to do a pull up unassisted and it was pathetic. Had I continued on that route I never would have been able to get ONE out.