Replies

• shortstuff31117
    shortstuff31117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump...great post!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this post. Great info. God knows I need work here..........
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Great info, Joe. I'm working on chin-ups and using a little bit of hip drive to get up there. I'm doing the multiple sets of low level reps and doing the negatives. I'm soooooooooooooo close to being able to do my first real chin-up with no hip drive!! Very exciting :D
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    "You don't lock your elbows straight in a dead hang position while in the middle of a set. You keep them slightly bent. "

Again, why?
    Because it takes tension off the muscle being worked. "Locking" out shifts the resistance of any exercise to joints.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I have hurt myself locking out, thinking I was doing it right.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Replying to keep hold of this thread, thank you! Working towards one day being able to actually do pull-ups!!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The Pullup --- there's a goal! And I WILL get there! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow MFP'ers. It's your "friendly" neighborhood Joe here to speak with you today about the SCALE of upper body strength known as THE PULLUP.

If someone were to come up to me and try to "size me up" asking me if I "worked out" or was "into bodybuilding", and he or she asked me "What do you bench?" I would chuckle a bit and then give them two answers:

First answer: My 1RM is 285. This is partly due to a tender left shoulder rotator cuff.

Second answer: A good measure or scale of upper body strength is NOT the Bench Press, it is the Pullup.

Ask any serious bodybuilder or strength trainer. Unless you are competing in powerlifting or you are in the NFL Combine, strength is measured by how many pullups you can do. This is mostly the reason why boot camp in the military they test you on pullups.

Example: If we are at war or there is a zombie apocalypse, do you think being able to Bench Press 500lbs is going to help you in ANY WAY to survive? No, it's not. But, if you can do pullups and pull your own bodyweight up with EASE, your ability to survive goes up dramatically.

Before I talk about ways to strengthen your pullups, let me first state this and I'll put it in bold so it sinks:

DO NOT use the assisted pullup machine to try to build strength. I will repeat this. DO NOT use the assisted pullup machien to try to build strength.

The pullup assist machine is VERY different from doing REAL pullups or chinups. The form is different. The position and ease for your legs is different. It is not the same in any way, shape or form. I will give you some tips below on how to strengthen your pullups/chinups. It may be hard at first, but it will get easier.

1. Start with multiple sets of low reps.

Do 10 sets of 1 pullup with 30 seconds rest in between sets. Time yourself. Only take 30 seconds max. When you can do 1 pullup with ease, then move onto to 10 sets of 2 pullups. Go until you can perform 10 sets of 5 pullups with 30 seconds rest. Once you achieve this, then you'll be able to do 10 pullups pretty easily for your first set. Trust me this works.

2. Use resistance bands.

Loop a resistance band around the pullup bar, and then around your knee for assistance. This is NOT the same as using the "pullup assist machine".

3. Strengthen your grip.

Either use grip strengtheners, do Deadlifts, Plate pinches, or do Heavy Bar Pulls and hold for 10-20 seconds. You'd be surprised at how this will help your pullups.

4. Do chinups.

Chinups are a lot easier to do over Pullups as they use the biceps. Pullups have a lot more back involvement though.

5. Use hip drive.

I don't care what anyone says. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using momentum when starting out to build pullup strength. Granted you need to eventually do pullups without hip drive, but it will help with strength.

6. Perform negative movements.

Start in the up position, and go down slow. This will help not only form, but strength as well.

7. Do weighted 10-2's.

Grab a weighted vest or a chained weight-belt and add plates to it. Do 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 seconds rest.

8. Don't go to failure.

One of the biggest mistakes people do with pullups and/or chinups is they go to failure. This does not help you. Your form suffers, you can risk shoulder injuries. It's just not a good idea. Do as many pullups as you can with GOOD form.

9. Make sure you start in proper position.

You need to start with your arms straight, pull your shoulder blades down and lock your shoulders into their sockets. Do NOT start with your shoulders up near your ears like you're doing a shoulder shrug. This is NOT proper form at all.

10. Initiate with your lats.

When you start to pull, keep shoulders back, head up and fire your lats FIRST, not your biceps/arms. If you are doing this correctly, you'll know it.

11. Drive your elbows down.

Make sure you drive your elbows down and back. Don't pull with your biceps.

12. Pull your chin over the bar.

Sure when you're starting to build strength, you may not be able to which is fine, but eventually you need to. Nothing else needs to be said.

13. Use different grips.

Palms facing away, Palms facing you, Palms facing each other. Also use different widths of your grip.

14. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout your set.

Don't lock your elbows in the middle of a set. Keep them bent at all times.

That's it. Building pullup strength takes time just like anything else. You'll get it with patience and practice.

Until the next time my friends.

This is your "friendly" neighborhood Joe....signing off.

What if you're like me? I am 5'4" and I currently weigh 250lbs (SW: 297lbs). While I am pretty strong for a woman, there is NO WAY I'm gettin' my 250lb lard butt off the ground with sheer upper body strength at my current level of fitness. I still want to strengthen those muscles, though. So, the closest exercise I can come up with is to do the lat pull down (2 sets of 15 @ 70lbs, and I'm getting ready to increase the weight a little this week). Eventually, as I lose weight and my strength increases, I will switch to pull ups. I agree they are the most effective way to build upper body strength. I'm just not capable of doing them at this point.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump for later! Read through the whole thread, now I just need to try the things stated!
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Also curious Joe, you make mention of "number of pullups" being an indicator of upper body strength. I think at a certain point (a given rep range), training goals need to be factored in. For example, I can probably do somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 pullups at a guess, but to me it's not important as I'm adding more weight whenever I can hit 5 or 6 clean reps.

I would have to agree. I know once I can do 20 consecutive good form chin-ups/pull-ups (I'm at 18) I'm going to get a chain and start adding resistance. I do upper body work twice a week so one day would become weighted-chins/pulls and one day would just be bodyweight or at least that's my initial thought on that approach. At least I have a couple weeks to think through it still.
    That's mostly my strategy as well ^^^. I either add weight with my chain/belt or transition them into muscle-ups (pull into dip position & go all the way up over the bar to straight arms). I can only bust out a few of those now & they're with some kipping, but getting better. Or other variations - pullup move hands sideways & go down, or pullup & lever & down. My ultimate goal is to be able to do a true one-armed PU... someday.

To the OP, I love the pullups as they tend to favor us lighter weight guys, but they still don't impress like a bent bar bench.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Great info as always Joe. I've never been able to do a pullup my whole life. Now I do 30 broken up in sets three times a week. They're my favorite exercise right now.

The only exercises that truly matter are the ones that prepare you to fight zombies. Fact.

Video??

Of the previous poster doing 30 pullups, or fighting zombies? Not that it matters really, because, to me, either one is pretty stinkin' awesome. :drinker:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What if you're like me? I am 5'4" and I currently weigh 250lbs (SW: 297lbs). While I am pretty strong for a woman, there is NO WAY I'm gettin' my 250lb lard butt off the ground with sheer upper body strength at my current level of fitness. I still want to strengthen those muscles, though. So, the closest exercise I can come up with is to do the lat pull down (2 sets of 15 @ 70lbs, and I'm getting ready to increase the weight a little this week). Eventually, as I lose weight and my strength increases, I will switch to pull ups. I agree they are the most effective way to build upper body strength. I'm just not capable of doing them at this point.

The time to start is yesterday. Can you at least hang? Do a single negative every day, and watch how fast you progress.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I love the pullups as they tend to favor us lighter weight guys, but they still don't impress like a bent bar bench.

What's interesting about what the OP said about the Bench Press and even your comment is that the Lats are an important support muscle in the bench press itself. But I agree, being able to push a heavy *kitten* load on the bench press is far more impressive than a bunch of chin-ups. Now doing a bunch of chin-ups with 100lbs tied to your waist is a different story all together.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    <
    this girl is preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

:heart: pullups & chinups
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • HeatherWestgate
    HeatherWestgate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jcstanton
    Options

The time to start is yesterday. Can you at least hang? Do a single negative every day, and watch how fast you progress.

I can, but not for long periods of time as I have carpal tunnel in my left hand, so I can't grip anything in my left hand for very long. (Hmmm...just reread what I wrote. :blushing: Let the sexual innuendos commence! :tongue: )
  • UgaDog
    UgaDog Posts: 2
    Options
    Lots of work before I can do one.