The Cornerstone of Upper Body Strength: The Pullup

Options

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Working my way up to 10 sets of 1 pull up. Great thread.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Vanilla and Chocolate. Mix it up and you will be alright.

It is a great post

Is the right answer.

Pull ups have a significantly higher degree of lower trap activation than chin ups. Chin ups have a higher degree of bicep and pec activity. Both have a significant involvement of the latissimus dorsi.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21068680

I think the reason most people (well guys really) find pull ups harder than chin ups is for a very simple reason that you don't need studies to verify: guys are much more likely to train the pecs and biceps than the back, particularly the lower back. Why? Because the average trainee is more concerned with being pretty than athletic. In addition, many times guys pick up shoulder injuries whilst training and so while unconsciously avoid exercises involving the lower back.

Neither is "better" or "easier" than each other. They have specific applications for specific goals. I would say that a chin up is better suited for body building goals whilst a pull up is more suited to an athletic / rehab goal but that is only very generally.

Both are awesome.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    ... Care to explain? I thought the lockouts made it harder. I can do a lot more if I don't lockout.

If you lockout, you're hyper extending, which is why they're harder. Increased risk of injury any time you hyper extend a joint.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to build upper body strength so that you can do a pull up in the first place? I can't lift my body, it's still to heavy.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I really want to work on pullups, but do not currently have access to a gym. Are there any reasonably priced at-home bars that someone could recommend? Those door-frame ones kind of worry me, but I'd get one if someone (or several someones) highly recommends a specific one.

$20 in any sporting goods store. Goes on a door frame with no screws. There's a slight rubbing of the paint, but no damage.
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    "You don't lock your elbows straight in a dead hang position while in the middle of a set. You keep them slightly bent. "

Again, why?
    Because it takes tension off the muscle being worked. "Locking" out shifts the resistance of any exercise to joints.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was wondering if I was supposed to keep my elbows bent. Thanks. I had been trying to get them to almost a hanging position. I will have to try and see if I can do more than 2 in a row with my elbows bent.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I just bought a pull-up bar and for the LIFE of me I can't get off the ground. Very happy to see this article. Thanks!
  • saxmaniac
    Options
    Because it takes tension off the muscle being worked. "Locking" out shifts the resistance of any exercise to joints.

Thanks. I was doing lockouts, but not relaxing... keeping muscle tension steady to protect the shoulder/elbow joints. Is that better?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    How do you get started if you can't even do 1/2 of a chin/pull up?
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    What is the best way to build upper body strength so that you can do a pull up in the first place? I can't lift my body, it's still to heavy.

The post suggested negative pull ups and resistance band assisted pull ups. I did the negative pull ups. After doing those for a month, I was able to do my first pull ups.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I really want to work on pullups, but do not currently have access to a gym. Are there any reasonably priced at-home bars that someone could recommend? Those door-frame ones kind of worry me, but I'd get one if someone (or several someones) highly recommends a specific one.

$20 in any sporting goods store. Goes on a door frame with no screws. There's a slight rubbing of the paint, but no damage.

wall mart has the "perfect multi gym" bar ...it goes wider than the door frame and has multiple grips for a variety and the best thing is it "hangs" in the door frame and can be taken off in put back up in 2 seconds literally...a great bar
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • eilar
    eilar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I agree and good topic. When I was a wrestler I could do these pretty well. Unfortunately even after a year of running and hitting the gym I still cannot do one of these. One day. I'm working on it. The less I weigh, the easier a pull up will be.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    great post!

and a special shout out to negatives. they work very well.
    i think the pullup machine can be used effectively by a beginner if they're doing negatives. make sure the weight you use is very light and use the pad only to help you balance yourself. it can make it easier to get into the finished position than using a chair or having a partner try and push you up by your ankles.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...very interesting. I have a set of gym rings & a climbing rope at home. I love it!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

The post suggested negative pull ups and resistance band assisted pull ups. I did the negative pull ups. After doing those for a month, I was able to do my first pull ups.

Thanks... I didn't see that part.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    awesome info. I'm gonna start working on these as soon as I get a pull-up bar.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Thanks... I didn't see that part.

What's a negative pull up?
  • saxmaniac
    Options
    What's a negative pull up?

Start at the top with your chin over the bar, jumping on if you have to. Go down in as much of controlled manner as possible, and then go back up as far as you can.

It puts the more difficult motion in the middle of the movement, instead of the very beginning. You might not be able to go up, so it's a 1/2 negative. If you can go up partially, it's a 3/4 negative. Once you can go down, then all the way up, you certainly can go up, then down!