The Cornerstone of Upper Body Strength: The Pullup

Options

Replies

• BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info. i am on a mission to do pull ups. after 6 months i lost 35lbs and i now weigh 264lbs and i'm able to do 3 pull ups. 6 months ago i could barely jump up to the bar much less pull myself up!
  • THayesTeamNoXQS
    THayesTeamNoXQS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    GREAT INFO...I STARTED WITH THE BARSTARZZ VIDEOS NOW IM GETTING UP TO 6-10 STR8 REPS OF PULL UPS!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep on my radar, thanks everyone for all the great info and especially to you Joe for the clear straightforward information!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I can, but not for long periods of time as I have carpal tunnel in my left hand, so I can't grip anything in my left hand for very long

Every little bit counts, but don't put yourself in pain. Sore is good, sharp pain, not good.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I can, but not for long periods of time as I have carpal tunnel in my left hand, so I can't grip anything in my left hand for very long

Every little bit counts, but don't put yourself in pain. Sore is good, sharp pain, not good.

Oh, yes. On more than one occasion, I have felt that sharp pinch in my hand from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger, after which I can't feel anything in my hand for a few hours. Makes me so mad when that happens.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Great topic and great advice, thanks!

I don't know if this has come up, but has anyone talked about the importance of warming up?

When I started pull-ups and chin-ups, I would just do them cold at the beginning of my workout. I learned my lesson when I strained a bicep and lost about a week. Now I do some burpees or jumping jacks to warm up.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I love the pullups as they tend to favor us lighter weight guys, but they still don't impress like a bent bar bench.

What's interesting about what the OP said about the Bench Press and even your comment is that the Lats are an important support muscle in the bench press itself. But I agree, being able to push a heavy *kitten* load on the bench press is far more impressive than a bunch of chin-ups. Now doing a bunch of chin-ups with 100lbs tied to your waist is a different story all together.

I watched a 180 lbs. man do pullups for reps with 90 lbs. hanging from his belt. That impressed me more than someone benching 2x their body weight.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    ... Care to explain? I thought the lockouts made it harder. I can do a lot more if I don't lockout.

If you lockout, you're hyper extending, which is why they're harder. Increased risk of injury any time you hyper extend a joint.

Ask me how I know:

Before:
    IMAG1503a-1-1.jpg

After:
    20120210_191544.jpg

To the OP...great post!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    ... Care to explain? I thought the lockouts made it harder. I can do a lot more if I don't lockout.

If you lockout, you're hyper extending, which is why they're harder. Increased risk of injury any time you hyper extend a joint.

Ask me how I know:

Before:
    IMAG1503a-1-1.jpg

After:
    20120210_191544.jpg

To the OP...great post!

WTF did you do? Torn bicep??
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I love the pullups as they tend to favor us lighter weight guys, but they still don't impress like a bent bar bench.

What's interesting about what the OP said about the Bench Press and even your comment is that the Lats are an important support muscle in the bench press itself. But I agree, being able to push a heavy *kitten* load on the bench press is far more impressive than a bunch of chin-ups. Now doing a bunch of chin-ups with 100lbs tied to your waist is a different story all together.

I watched a 180 lbs. man do pullups for reps with 90 lbs. hanging from his belt. That impressed me more than someone benching 2x their body weight.

i'm not a big bench press guy. it cracks me up watching the meatheads 'pressing' 3 plates per side while their spotter does half the work, but imo a 200 lb guy bench pressing 4 plates per side in a tshirt (no bench shirts, etc) would be pretty frickin' impressive. not taking anything away from the pullups. they're both crazy strong feats.
  • JNick77
    Options
    i'm not a big bench press guy. it cracks me up watching the meatheads 'pressing' 3 plates per side while their spotter does half the work

That **** drives me f'in nuts! Then they get up acting all big and bad. Just by adding a finger or two the spotter can remove a fair amount of resistance from the weight and then you see the fool using his whole hand to spot them or damn near gripping the bar and pulling it. What's that accomplish?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i'm not a big bench press guy. it cracks me up watching the meatheads 'pressing' 3 plates per side while their spotter does half the work

That **** drives me f'in nuts! Then they get up acting all big and bad. Just by adding a finger or two the spotter can remove a fair amount of resistance from the weight and then you see the fool using his whole hand to spot them or damn near gripping the bar and pulling it. What's that accomplish?
    It's all a part of the Bro-code man! In fact maybe I should get a bro to push my *kitten* up on those last few pullup reps I struggle with :P
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Ask me how I know:

Before:
    IMAG1503a-1-1.jpg

After:
    20120210_191544.jpg

To the OP...great post!

WTF did you do? Torn bicep??

Lower biceps tendon rupture. Basically ripped the tendon off its attachment to my forearm. Picked up 400lbs with little more than a locked right arm...it was necessary, but still not smart lol.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Lower biceps tendon rupture. Basically ripped the tendon off its attachment to my forearm. Picked up 400lbs with little more than a locked right arm...it was necessary, but still not smart lol.

Was that your under-grip hand on the deadlift? How bad did that hurt?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Was that your under-grip hand on the deadlift? How bad did that hurt?

Well, it was under hand yes. My brother was sitting on my running motorcycle (ticker). He'd kicked up the kickstand, then when he went to set the bike down he didn't set the kickstand all the way, it tipped...and pinned my 5yr old's leg under the seat (he was fine...laughing as a matter of fact). The running bike plus leaking fuel plus my kid stuck under it insta freaked me out though...so I stepped up, grabbed the handle bar with my left hand (can't pick it up that way...more a stability thing), seat with my right...and lifted. 3/4 of the way up...pop, poppop!! (it was audible to everyone there) and a really weird 'cold burn'...then 'Ahhh crap, that's not good...', finished lifting the bike, set the stand...made sure my boy was alright...went in and looked in the mirror, got my keys and went to the ER lol. That's where the second picture is from.

It hurt both more and less than I expected. They told me in the ER that the more I used it...the better. I asked if I could hurt it worse by doing so...she said 'Nope...but you won't want to move it, much less use it!'. I got on my bike and went and played pool for 3hrs, again the next night...and basically continued to use it until the surgery two weeks later.

It wasn't fun.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm not in this to see how strong I am. I'm in this to see how good looking I can get. (chuckles)
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    OP - great post, thanks for this....
    Hadn't thought if using resistance bands - I'm currently doing negatives only, shall experiment.....
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Great topic and great advice, thanks!

I don't know if this has come up, but has anyone talked about the importance of warming up?

When I started pull-ups and chin-ups, I would just do them cold at the beginning of my workout. I learned my lesson when I strained a bicep and lost about a week. Now I do some burpees or jumping jacks to warm up.

This is exactly what I do before chin-ups. Actually, I overhead press the oly bar 5-10 times and do jumping jacks. It seems to be just the thing to warm-up.
  • stayxtrue87
    Options
    Joe you are the man! I dont even bother with chin ups! Widegrip pullups for me lats are growing more now since getting technique correct!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    by september 8th i need to be able to do a pull up. my goal that and i'm competing in another mud run and it lists monkey bars as one of the obstacles. i need upper body strength for monkey bars which i have not done since i was 12. was a pro at going across skipping bars and everything. now not so much. lol!