The Cornerstone of Upper Body Strength: The Pullup

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Excellent read Joe. I am using the assisted machine so I guess from your post I should NOT be. ;o) I will search out the appropriate machine at the gym and get on this.

Stop using it, and either start with Chinups or start with 10 sets of 1 rep. If you can't do 1 rep, you can use a resistance band. Gyms have them. You can pick one up at Sports Authority or ****'s Sporting Goods for cheap.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I guess I better step up my pull up game then huh!!!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    damn.. i can barely hang there.. grip strength has somehow completely vanished over the years... how can you pull up if you can't hang on?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I can knock out 40 if I cheat - 20 dead hangs, and for a guy pushing 50, not bad.
    Oh, how life has changed....:drinker:
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    fkn bump
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Santa got me a pull-up bar for this very reason.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump

Thanks!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Frekain' awesome. I'd like to add some comments/questions:

"6. Perform negative movements. Start in the up position, and go down slow. This will help not only form, but strength as well."

Excellent advice, this is how I got started. Convert those negatives into positives.

"10. Initiate with your lats. When you start to pull, keep shoulders back, head up and fire your lats FIRST, not your biceps/arms. If you are doing this correctly, you'll know it."

Very important. A little clarification, since this eluded me for a while. When you start, pull the shoulders back and pull blades inwards towards each other. Made a huge difference.

"12. Pull your chin over the bar. Sure when you're starting to build strength, you may not be able to which is fine, but eventually you need to. Nothing else needs to be said."

Yes, but be sure not to crane your neck out and point the chin. You can screw up your cervical spine like that. (I did.)

"13. Use different grips. Palms facing away, Palms facing you, Palms facing each other. Also use different widths of your grip."

Also, mismatched grips. One away, one towards you, etc.

"14. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout your set. Don't lock your elbows in the middle of a set. Keep them bent at all times."

Care to explain? I thought the lockouts made it harder. I can do a lot more if I don't lockout.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Excellent read Joe. I am using the assisted machine so I guess from your post I should NOT be. ;o) I will search out the appropriate machine at the gym and get on this.

I use the assisted machine because, until recently, I had never been able to do a single pull-up in my entire life.

Thanks to the assisted machine, I can do about 3 actual pull-ups now, before being completely drained for a day or two.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I mean......................Opinions can vary on this. Chinups and Pullups are a mans exercise no doubt.
    But for me to call it the best its hard to overlook things such as bench, squats, deads. Chinups/Pullups are right there though.
    The information and quality of the post is there and many will learn from it so thats a gret job by you

But in the scenario below I will take the dealifter
    And I will use PHRAK the guy who posted above

Phrak. Who can deadlift 800 lbs but onlyp ullup his wiehgt 4 times
    vs
    SUPER HUMAN 10000 PULLUP GUY

PHRAK=WINNER

FACT

Chinups/Pullups don't involve your legs. The biggest muscle on the human body
    Squats/Deads/Bench do.

1. The initial post stressed pullups as a measure of upper body strength

2. How does Bench work your legs? You're not supposed to use legs at all during bench - dats cheating!

3. I agree, Deads are awesomel; but pullups are key, too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post Joe.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I really want to work on pullups, but do not currently have access to a gym. Are there any reasonably priced at-home bars that someone could recommend? Those door-frame ones kind of worry me, but I'd get one if someone (or several someones) highly recommends a specific one.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Stop using it, and either start with Chinups or start with 10 sets of 1 rep. If you can't do 1 rep, you can use a resistance band. Gyms have them. You can pick one up at Sports Authority or ****'s Sporting Goods for cheap.

the assisted machines get a lot of use at my gym...are you saying they are a waste of time or that they are detrimental?

what about lat pull downs? do they get you better prepared for pull ups?

good tips
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for the info!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    "You don't lock your elbows straight in a dead hang position while in the middle of a set. You keep them slightly bent. "

Again, why?
    Because it takes tension off the muscle being worked. "Locking" out shifts the resistance of any exercise to joints.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Greetings fellow MFP'ers. It's your "friendly" neighborhood Joe here to speak with you today about the SCALE of upper body strength known as THE PULLUP.

... This is your "friendly" neighborhood Joe....signing off.

Thanks, great post!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I really want to work on pullups, but do not currently have access to a gym. Are there any reasonably priced at-home bars that someone could recommend? Those door-frame ones kind of worry me, but I'd get one if someone (or several someones) highly recommends a specific one.

There are several 'door jam' pullup bars that work pretty well. I have one that has definitely been adequate - my only complaint is that I'm sorta wide through the shoulders, so that if I try to do chin ups, I'm all squoooshed up. But it's great for wide grip pull ups.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Fitness-Gear-All-In-One-Exercise/dp/B002LN9XJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1340722107&sr=1-1&keywords=door+frame+pull+up+bar
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options

We have the Perfect Pullup bar at home, it was $30 at Target. It is the door frame one. My husband, whose weight fluctuates anywhere between 200 and 220 uses it all the time. My 5 year old twins use it on a daily basis to hang and play on, and my 10 year has done flips on it. My house is 115 years old, and it is very sturdy in the frame.

Thank you Joe for this article....I do use the assisted machine at the gym, but am still no closer to doing one pull-up. I will try this at home!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

the assisted machines get a lot of use at my gym...are you saying they are a waste of time or that they are detrimental?

what about lat pull downs? do they get you better prepared for pull ups?

good tips

Assisted machines get a lot of use because people are put into this mindset from "trainers" or their friends that they work. You might get a little benefit from them. You are better off taking it slow and start with Pullups without the machine, and go through the guidelines I outlined in the first post.