The Cornerstone of Upper Body Strength: The Pullup

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Also curious Joe, you make mention of "number of pullups" being an indicator of upper body strength. I think at a certain point (a given rep range), training goals need to be factored in. For example, I can probably do somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 pullups at a guess, but to me it's not important as I'm adding more weight whenever I can hit 5 or 6 clean reps.

I would have to agree. I know once I can do 20 consecutive good form chin-ups/pull-ups (I'm at 18) I'm going to get a chain and start adding resistance. I do upper body work twice a week so one day would become weighted-chins/pulls and one day would just be bodyweight or at least that's my initial thought on that approach. At least I have a couple weeks to think through it still.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Chin up - palms facing away from your face
    Pull up - palms facing your face
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ Opposite this.
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great info!! I've been researching how to work my way up to this. Will add to my list.
  • JNick77
    Options

^ Opposite this.
  • halejr23
    Options
    For those just starting out or struggling with pullups/chin ups ... place a chair in front of you with the seat facing away. Gently place your feet on the back of the chair as doing a pullup. When the chair begins to move or fall towards you stop ... that should signal that you form is going south as you are using too much leg strength to push you up. The chair should be as far away as you can get it and still perform pullups with good form.

See this image for setup ...
    http://ninja-fitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TonyHortonChairAssistedPullUps-300x227.jpg
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    Bump! Great info, thanks :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Good post.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    A bit of advice with the doorframe bars. The one I got from Walmart (Gold's Gym brand) doesn't allow for a shoulder width chinup, the design only allows the hands to be placed closer together. I ended up with some wicked tendonitis in my elbows from all of the chinups in P90X. This bar does allow for decent wider grip pullups and parallell grip chins, and I have no pain doing these.
  • JNick77
    Options
    For those just starting out or struggling with pullups/chin ups ... place a chair in front of you with the seat facing away. Gently place your feet on the back of the chair as doing a pullup. When the chair begins to move or fall towards you stop ... that should signal that you form is going south as you are using too much leg strength to push you up. The chair should be as far away as you can get it and still perform pullups with good form.

See this image for setup ...
    http://ninja-fitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TonyHortonChairAssistedPullUps-300x227.jpg

Cool, that's an interesting approach.

I haven't read through the entire thread but did anybody mention adding resistance bands for assisting? You basically still support your body weight but the bands help provide some support on the concentric portion. If you buys varying levels of bands you can start with body weight then move to a mini band, light band, heavy band or something like that.
    A bit of advice with the doorframe bars. The one I got from Walmart (Gold's Gym brand) doesn't allow for a shoulder width chinup, the design only allows the hands to be placed closer together.

That sucks. Ideally you'll want a bar that can let you do wide, narrow, narrow neutral, and wide neutral.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started incorporating pull-ups into my routine, my upper body is seriously under-developed compared to my legs.
  • DeeShows
    DeeShows Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks!!! just set a new goal....WE WILL SEE!
  • steph14368
    Options
    Thanks!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Watched this the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Seems like an easy to follow plan.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • halejr23
    Options
    Also, starting with resistance bands is better than nothing. Most resistance band packages come with a door attachment.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Re-read later.
  • halejr23
    Options

CRAP! Reverse that ... and I just did them this morning! Must have pushed too hard and fried the brain! ;-)
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Great post! Friend request sent :)

I'm at 3 consecutive pull up :) working my way up to ten :)