The Cornerstone of Upper Body Strength: The Pullup

Options
joejccva71
joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
Greetings fellow MFP'ers. It's your "friendly" neighborhood Joe here to speak with you today about the SCALE of upper body strength known as THE PULLUP.

If someone were to come up to me and try to "size me up" asking me if I "worked out" or was "into bodybuilding", and he or she asked me "What do you bench?" I would chuckle a bit and then give them two answers:

First answer: My 1RM is 285. This is partly due to a tender left shoulder rotator cuff.

Second answer: A good measure or scale of upper body strength is NOT the Bench Press, it is the Pullup.

Ask any serious bodybuilder or strength trainer. Unless you are competing in powerlifting or you are in the NFL Combine, strength is measured by how many pullups you can do. This is mostly the reason why boot camp in the military they test you on pullups.

Example: If we are at war or there is a zombie apocalypse, do you think being able to Bench Press 500lbs is going to help you in ANY WAY to survive? No, it's not. But, if you can do pullups and pull your own bodyweight up with EASE, your ability to survive goes up dramatically.

Before I talk about ways to strengthen your pullups, let me first state this and I'll put it in bold so it sinks:

DO NOT use the assisted pullup machine to try to build strength. I will repeat this. DO NOT use the assisted pullup machien to try to build strength.

The pullup assist machine is VERY different from doing REAL pullups or chinups. The form is different. The position and ease for your legs is different. It is not the same in any way, shape or form. I will give you some tips below on how to strengthen your pullups/chinups. It may be hard at first, but it will get easier.

1. Start with multiple sets of low reps.

Do 10 sets of 1 pullup with 30 seconds rest in between sets. Time yourself. Only take 30 seconds max. When you can do 1 pullup with ease, then move onto to 10 sets of 2 pullups. Go until you can perform 10 sets of 5 pullups with 30 seconds rest. Once you achieve this, then you'll be able to do 10 pullups pretty easily for your first set. Trust me this works.

2. Use resistance bands.

Loop a resistance band around the pullup bar, and then around your knee for assistance. This is NOT the same as using the "pullup assist machine".

3. Strengthen your grip.

Either use grip strengtheners, do Deadlifts, Plate pinches, or do Heavy Bar Pulls and hold for 10-20 seconds. You'd be surprised at how this will help your pullups.

4. Do chinups.

Chinups are a lot easier to do over Pullups as they use the biceps. Pullups have a lot more back involvement though.

5. Use hip drive.

I don't care what anyone says. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using momentum when starting out to build pullup strength. Granted you need to eventually do pullups without hip drive, but it will help with strength.

6. Perform negative movements.

Start in the up position, and go down slow. This will help not only form, but strength as well.

7. Do weighted 10-2's.

Grab a weighted vest or a chained weight-belt and add plates to it. Do 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 seconds rest.

8. Don't go to failure.

One of the biggest mistakes people do with pullups and/or chinups is they go to failure. This does not help you. Your form suffers, you can risk shoulder injuries. It's just not a good idea. Do as many pullups as you can with GOOD form.

9. Make sure you start in proper position.

You need to start with your arms straight, pull your shoulder blades down and lock your shoulders into their sockets. Do NOT start with your shoulders up near your ears like you're doing a shoulder shrug. This is NOT proper form at all.

10. Initiate with your lats.

When you start to pull, keep shoulders back, head up and fire your lats FIRST, not your biceps/arms. If you are doing this correctly, you'll know it.

11. Drive your elbows down.

Make sure you drive your elbows down and back. Don't pull with your biceps.

12. Pull your chin over the bar.

Sure when you're starting to build strength, you may not be able to which is fine, but eventually you need to. Nothing else needs to be said.

13. Use different grips.

Palms facing away, Palms facing you, Palms facing each other. Also use different widths of your grip.

14. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout your set.

Don't lock your elbows in the middle of a set. Keep them bent at all times.

That's it. Building pullup strength takes time just like anything else. You'll get it with patience and practice.

Until the next time my friends.

This is your "friendly" neighborhood Joe....signing off.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, Joe. Thanks!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Great info as always Joe. I've never been able to do a pullup my whole life. Now I do 30 broken up in sets three times a week. They're my favorite exercise right now.

The only exercises that truly matter are the ones that prepare you to fight zombies. Fact.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You are awesome "friendly" Joe! :) My goal is to one day be able to do a pull up!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Well you never know when a beam might fall on your chest at the perfect level for you to bench press it off of you.

I do love pull-ups, they are quite a challenge for my heavy *kitten*, can only do 3-4 at my bodyweight.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have always wanted to be able to do a chinup and made a goal for myself to be able to do them by the end of the summer.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Good post, but I have to disagree on the difference b/w pull-ups and chin-ups.

Pull-ups don't have anymore back involvement than chin-ups. Just think about where the muscles attach. They dont' attach to your forearm! The reason chin-ups are easier is b/c you have more biceps activation. So you're just using more muscles, which is why the chin-up is the real king of upper body exercises and has been proven to activate more upper-body muscles to exercise levels than any other upper body exercise.
  • Lup120
    Lup120 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I am looking to try to work my to do pull-ups and this is perfect.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Ive always been intimidated by pull ups... but if i want to kick butt i figure its time do it. I trying to picture how to use the resistance bands...is that what you would suggest for someone trying them for the first time? or would you just go with the negative at first. sorry if these questions seem lame. Its an area i know nothing about and i dont want to hurt myself.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    One day
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Good post, but I have to disagree on the difference b/w pull-ups and chin-ups.

Pull-ups don't have anymore back involvement than chin-ups. Just think about where the muscles attach. They dont' attach to your forearm! The reason chin-ups are easier is b/c you have more biceps activation. So you're just using more muscles, which is why the chin-up is the real king of upper body exercises and has been proven to activate more upper-body muscles to exercise levels than any other upper body exercise.

You couldn't be more wrong.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    This DEFINITELY needs to be stickied, this is so helpful!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Bump as reminder to re-read.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hahaha love the seriousness and the humor in this post
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    "14. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout your set.

Don't lock your elbows in the middle of a set. Keep them bent at all times."

Why? Isn't full extension the gold standard?

Otherwise awesome info.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Can you explain the difference between chin-ups and pull-ups? :)
    Is it just what muscles you use? Don't they essentially look the same?
  • joejccva71
    Options

Otherwise awesome info.

You don't lock your elbows straight in a dead hang position while in the middle of a set. You keep them slightly bent.
  • DaveRCF
    Options
    15. If you want to do more pullups, increase your power-to-weight ratio. We all know the first way to do this, the second is to lose weight. Doing pullups 25 pounds lighter than your previous self is probably the number one determinant for doing more pullups.
  • DaveRCF
    Options
    "You don't lock your elbows straight in a dead hang position while in the middle of a set. You keep them slightly bent. "

Again, why?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Otherwise awesome info.

You don't lock your elbows straight in a dead hang position while in the middle of a set. You keep them slightly bent.

Thank you! I thought I was cheating myself if I DIDN'T get myself to a dead hang. This should actually make them easier for me.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Can you explain the difference between chin-ups and pull-ups? :)
    Is it just what muscles you use? Don't they essentially look the same?

Chin-ups:
    Main Muscle Worked: Biceps
    Other Muscles Worked: Forearms, Lats
    Equipment: BodyOnly
    Mechanics Type: Compound

Pull-ups:
    Main Muscle Worked: Lats
    Other Muscles Worked: Biceps, Middle Back
    Equipment: BodyOnly
    Mechanics Type: Compound

If you've ever tried chin-ups for one month, and pull-ups in another month, you will know the difference. Chins hit the biceps harder and more directly as 50-70% of the movement utilizes the biceps, it isn't until the last 30% where you start contracting your lats which really makes it a back exercise.

Pull-ups on the other hand, almost instantly requires the lats to pull you up. After about 10% of the movement, your laterals become predominant.