Being fat is just easier..

Options
12346»

Replies

• Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    a few things that are hard if you are fat!

1. Walking hand and hand or down the church aisle on your wedding day with the love of your life.
    2. Being pregnant with that child that will love you so unconditionally that your heart melts when you think about it.
    3. Lifting up your child when they want their mommy, as they put their arms arounfd your neck and tell you that they love you, or that they are happy!!
    4. Running and playing with your child as they grow, watching them learn values and watching their dreams come true.
    then there are grandchildren... and the joy of being alive to watch your children's children!!!!

What I am saying here is : Think about tomorrow and tomorrow's tomorrow...
    You are young and your body has a remarkable ability to heal itself now...
    Your weight will affect your life, your mood etc.
    Fat is not something that happened all at once, and it will not go away that way either.

Just keep chipping away at it.. a little bit at a time.....
    if you stick with it, you will see results, and if you see results, then you will stick with it...
    thus emerges a pattern of a healthier lifestyle..................

What is hard is trying to do this when you are older!!!!!!! So just do it now!!!
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I used to have someone to workout with but they quit long before I did. I am a runner. I just absolutely love to run! When I can motivate myself I run alone but mostly I try to get someone to go with me and everyone declines. I think I just need to get some good music, headphones and then I'm off on a run alone!

jogfm.com - find your pace then find yourself a mix and build it on your mp3 player!!! It's AWESOME!!
  • clarabowling
    clarabowling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just get back up each time. Learning to redirect the negative self-talk is critical. Those little voices saying "I'm too tired", "It's just one ....", "I'll do it tomorrow" have to be changed to "I can do something even if it's just for a few minutes", "All it takes is one and it takes more than that to work it off", "No better time than today and I can do even more tomorrow".

You're very correct that the mental is the biggest obstacle. Whenever I don't want to workout, I just go ahead and start changing into my workout clothes anyway. Once I get started, I can keep going. Basically, move your body and your mind will follow.

See this fitness journey as something that you will not allow to defeat you.

Totally agree with this! I am 39 years old and I talked to myself all the time " I will try to lose weight tomorrow!" so now I finally have to do it because of me unhealthy and hubby worried me sick about my heavy weight. I know I can do it, and I know you can do it too. You have to be more positive thinking, taking it from inside, you got to really really want to do this, so make it works!!! You are the only one to make yourself happy, happy inside, beautiful outside! :)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Sure being fat is a lot easier...

Until you are required to monitor your blood glucose levels and inject insulin for type 2 diabetes.

Until you find it hard work just walking around your home or up and down stairs.

Until you'r constantly worrying about having a stroke or heart attack.

In the short term sure, it's much easier to be fat and eat whatever you like, adhering only to the pleasure principle. In reality though, if you want to have a long life filled with health and vitality it's probably not the best course of action. A little hard work and perseverance now will pay you back tenfold in the future.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything about being fat that was easier.
  • Michaelarforbes
    Options
  • fitsebtownmama
    fitsebtownmama Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Easier than missing out on riding coasters with your teen because you cannot fit in the seat...

Easier than having to walk up a set of stairs in a staggered pattern using only 1 leg to push off because of joint inflammation...

Easier than skipping breakfast to try and lose weight and feeling like you are starving HOURS before your next meal...

Easier than becoming winded after a flight of stairs to the point of nausea...:(

Easier than becoming embarrassed because normal-sized seating does not fit you, because you cannot sit in a plastic deck chair for fear of having it collapse...

Easier than having the doctor tell you how inflated your risk of diabetes or heart disease is or even uterine cancer, because of your weight...

Do I really need to go on?

All of this said, I am not condemning you, but empathizing...I have been there IN EVERY INSTANCE...some of these still plague me, but every day, I am taking steps to discontinue the cycle that got me in this mess. I want to encourage you to do the same.

This literally begins with "steps"~~
    Step 1 Begin logging every bit of food you eat or drink.
    Step 2 Begin KNOWING you can break your bad habits and form new Healthy Ones!.
    Step 3 Allow others to help you reach your goal (You are not ALONE, we all have been there with you!)
    Step 4 Set a goal to reach.
    Step 5 Seek advice of those who have been successful.
    Step 6 Start taking more steps each day.
    Step 7 Buy a pedometer, so you can track your steps.
    Step 8 If you believe in the power of prayer, pray...
    Step 9 Realize that no one else can answer for your behavior, or change it.
    Step 10 Do this, because being FAT is not easier...
  • PlayMySong
    PlayMySong Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not being able to find cute clothes that fit is hard. Blowing money on fast food is hard. Excersing & eating healthy is hard. You choose your hard :)
  • davinahilary
    davinahilary Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to have someone to workout with but they quit long before I did. I am a runner. I just absolutely love to run! When I can motivate myself I run alone but mostly I try to get someone to go with me and everyone declines. I think I just need to get some good music, headphones and then I'm off on a run alone!

jogfm.com - find your pace then find yourself a mix and build it on your mp3 player!!! It's AWESOME!!

Thank you! I love it!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Why do I lose my motivation so quickly?!?? I have my days where I get so pumped up to exercise and eat healthy but then a few days later or even weeks I just completely lose it. Idk if anyone can help ('cause I'm sure this is more of a mental thing) but, why can't I stay motivated? And what keeps you motivated??

I've been watching Extreme Makeover weight loss with Chris Powell. The weight loss aspect fascinates me but what's more intriguing is the mindset of the individuals and the way Powell makes them realize that, often times, it's really all in their head. How they perceive themselves, how they chose to live out past trauma, how they shut down mindfulness and the complete disconnect between what goes in their mouth and how it affects their body is astounding.

Being fat is easier when you are completely tuned out from yourself and your environment. It's non-living.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ''being fat is hard.
    losing weight is hard.
    pick your hard.''

Yep, this is my mantra too :happy: I was sick and tired of being overweight so I stopped moaning and did something about it.

I do think your head has to be in the right place though, especially if you have a lot to lose and your journey is going to be a long one. Nobody can teach you motivation - it has to come from you. The desire to lose the weight has to outstrip the desire to eat too much - when that happens it is all (relatively) plain sailing.
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    Small goals.
    I'm going at this 10lbs at a time.
    Replacing one bad habit with a good habit per week.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think I found that aiming for goals, and celebrating just what my body is able to do if it is fuelled right and used right, helped me keep my motivation.

I used to not care, blame my metabolism or my health problems or medication when I was overweight. I used to use every excuse in the book not to exercise, and instead to go home and sink more pints of alcohol and eat fatty food, and I'm ashamed to say I smoked cannabis and would just mindlessly munch on chocolate, crisps and all those things you want when the "munchies" kick in. I dread to think how many calories I ate in a day, but even worse, where those calories came from.

But it wasn't really easier, because I hated the way I looked, my clothes didn't fit, I never felt like I looked good in anything, I would get upset before going on nights out because all I saw was a podgy gut sticking out no matter what I did to try and hide it. I truly was miserable, even though at the time I was eating and drinking rubbish, I would be temporarily happy.
  • markysan
    markysan Posts: 33
    Options
    Not sure about 'committed' comment to that degree earlier. However, being more realistic its accepting that you have to try and try hard - accept that every now and then you will have an off day. The greatest thing is learning not to let that one day spoil all the good work of the days previous.

Good to see alot of great positive comments on here from people.

I think its much harder being 'thinner' also - on a personal point being bigger made me more a robust personality and I was actually happier, being lighter has exposed other traits of me since my protection is gone (some good and bad) that make it less enjoyable overall - strange eh?. Its just a never ending relentless exercise - but its one you have to do.
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard if you set yourself unrealistic goals.

If you set yourself small, achievable goals ("eat a healthy breakfast every day this week", "exercise for 15 mins every day this week", "no soda for three days") then it's much easier.

If you set out to eat 1200 cals a day, exercise for 2 hours every day - hell yeah, it's going to be hard!
    Then you'll probably give up and feel bad. Again.

Be realistic, accept that you aren't going to wake up next week 10 pounds lighter but that if you eat well (not too little, not too much) and you do some regular exercise (which doesn't even have to be every day) then you might well be 10 pounds (or a whole lot more!) lighter by Christmas.

I think that kind of attitude has made a big difference for me - taking baby steps, having 1-2 little changes a week (or over a longer period if needed), remembering that I HAVE TIME, even 40 years if I want and need to. And then BE PREPARED - do the groceries and HAVE good choices at home, take the minute to fry that egg in the morning instead of sugary cereal and milk etc. I do lose motivation from time to time, get sick of it all, then making a decision to have a break for "that many days" and start over when that time is over even if I don't feel like it - and the motivation will come back in a few days usually.

The main point is that even if I don't lose weight, then having good food and exercise as much as I can is good for my health!! Looking at the big picture... if during 1 year my food is mostly healthy, it doesn't really matter that I ate crap on 3 times this week, I have plenty of weeks with good food choices. Hope you get my point :)

Good luck!! You CAN do it!!