My Husband Doesn't Understand - I Need Advice

Options
I've been, for the past year or so, working out hard. Most days, I workout about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I'm in the second phase of P90X, and this past week, I added Insanity for a crazy hybrid. I'm always on the lookout for new, healthy foods, and I'm always researching to gain as much knowledge as I can.

Last night, I bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I sat in the evening reading it while my husband watched some show on TV. I rarely watch the shows he watch and normally sit there doing something else - folding laundry, reading, packing lunches, etc.

But when I asked my husband if we could get out his weight bench and set it up in the basement, I guess that was the tipping point.

He's right, that I'm obsessed. I probably do talk to him too much about protein and carbs and the latest thing I learned about muscle group. I probably tell him too much about my workouts and my calorie count and my effort to eat more. It probably is what I talk about the most. Part of the reason I'm obsessed, I know, is because of my past with EDs. But I'm not the only person out there with a passion for health and fitness. These boards are proof of that.

But he said I'm so consumed with all this that I'm going to miss out on everything else.

I see his point, and I'm going to take proper steps to fix that. I don't want either him or my daughter to feel neglected, and my husband has been pretty supportive up till now.

But...he's still unhappy about the weight bench. He says we have no room. We have a HUGE basement, and it's true that there's little extra room right now. But we have a Foozeball table we've used exactly twice. We have a broken pinball machine. Our daughter has literally hundreds of toys she doesn't even remember she has down there and NEVER uses. We have a Wii and an old, big, boxy TV that's never used and a shuffleboard table my husband never finished building.

All those things we DON'T use, and he can't make room for something I WOULD use?

And then he's worried I'll bulk up, but when I try to explain all the ways that's impossible, he doesn't want to listen. Because I'm obsessed.

What should I do?

I don't need the weight bench yet. I'm going to finish out P90X first. And I can probably improvise with the bands and buy some larger weights if I need to to begin doing the NROLFW. So, I think for now, I need to drop the subject. I need to stop raving about how great my workout was or how happy I am I finally bought turkey jerky or how I'm thinking about protein shakes. I DEFINITELY can't bring up the idea of Shawn T's workout for kids for our daughter.

But...anyone else run into this sort of problem? How do you handle it?

Any guys out there have any ideas, from a guys' point of view?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I know sometimes my girlfriend gets obsessed with something to the point of talking about it constantly, and it being her only subject of interest and it drives me crazy. Balance is important; spend time on other interests.

That aside, for your husbands benefit; You do not have enough testosterone in your body as a woman to develop noticable muscle mass quickly - men are doing well to put on 1lb a month of lean muscle and for women it can take upwards of 6 months. The exceptions are in hormonal disorders such as PCOS or getting a helpful jab in the buttcheek. The average woman has only 1/16th the testosterone of the average man.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice but I had to chuckle because I just texted my husband while he is out playing darts just to tell him I can now do real military style push ups! Yep. I talk about it a lot.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I know sometimes my girlfriend gets obsessed with something to the point of talking about it constantly, and it being her only subject of interest and it drives me crazy. Balance is important; spend time on other interests.

That aside, for your husbands benefit; You do not have enough testosterone in your body as a woman to develop noticable muscle mass quickly - men are doing well to put on 1lb a month of lean muscle and for women it can take upwards of 6 months. The exceptions are in hormonal disorders such as PCOS or getting a helpful jab in the buttcheek. The average woman has only 1/16th the testosterone of the average man.

I know balance is important, which is why I'm glad my husband told me. I do tend to obsess, and he calls me on it, and I fix it, and we're good.

And I know all that about testosterone...or at least I'm learning. But I don't know how to assure my husband that...especially at this point when I'm trying to tone down my obsession.

And I need his help and support to move things around in the basement so we can make room for it and put it together.

Like I said, I don't need it now, but when I try to explain to him that I WON'T bulk up, I'm not going to add any more time to my workouts (in fact, it may be less), but I DO want the weight bench, he sighs and looks at the TV or computer or something else he's doing and says "All right" or "We'll talk about it later" in that way that means he doesn't want to do it at all.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Set it up yourself. You could have worse 'obsessions'.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I applaud your quest for fitness, but it does sound like you are somewhat obsessed! Instead of p90x and weight benches, what about looking for sports and activities you can all enjoy as a family?. Maybe try riding bikes or going on a hike as a family? Surely there are ways you can find a passion you can pour yourself into that in addition, your whole family can enjoy? Why not get them all obsessed with you? :happy:

As to the weight bench, I guess I would question your need for a weight bench at all. it's actually a very limited device and there's no muscle group you can't activate some other way. Dips and pushups (weighted if necessary), would be some classic examples, but there are many more. Another compromise might be kettlebells. They provide a tremendous workout and take up very little room.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I don't need it now, but when I try to explain to him that I WON'T bulk up, I'm not going to add any more time to my workouts (in fact, it may be less), but I DO want the weight bench, he sighs and looks at the TV or computer or something else he's doing and says "All right" or "We'll talk about it later" in that way that means he doesn't want to do it at all.
    Tone back your crazy for a week or two. Go have something unhealthy and delicious from a restaurant. When your P90x is a few days from finishing, just casually mention it and ask him for a hand getting the bench set up.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Set it up yourself. You could have worse 'obsessions'.

I agree. Shove some suff out the way and set it up yourself - or enlist a friends help if your husband isn't willing. Also - I wouldn't call you obsessed, just excited :wink: And I can relate.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am thankful to have my wife here on MFP and equally obsessed.
    If she were not, I'd just do my thing the way I wanted anyway, and if she was too much a crybaby, I'd start throwing stuff out like game tables and whatever to make room.
    My health and fitness goals are paramount, and anybody inhibiting that will be miserable living with me; I would see to it.
    There are two ways I always get my way.
    1. Mutual respect in a relationship [not just talking about SO - ANY relationship: social, sports, business especially]
    2. Fear
    If a person refuses to reciprocate the respect I show, then just fear me, because I will get even.
    Either way I always end up getting what I want.

Remember, the person who cares the least about the relationship gets to write the rules.
    And that is why all his toys are taking up most of the space, and you're the one groveling for a few square feet for a weight bench.
    Wise up - DEMAND - DON't ASK!
    Good Luck:bigsmile:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I applaud your quest for fitness, but it does sound like you are somewhat obsessed! Instead of p90x and weight benches, what about looking for sports and activities you can all enjoy as a family? Maybe try riding bikes or going on a hike as a family? Surely there are ways you can find a passion you can pour yourself into that in addition, your whole family can enjoy?

I'm all for balance but if she wants to lift she should lift. Why palm her off with "why not go for a nice stroll or bike ride with the kids"?

I wonder if the same advice had been given to her if she was a guy?
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not talking about fitness or foods for awhile and just continue doing your thing. I totally understand how you feel because I'm the same way. I started my weight loss journey in November 2011 and was introduced to MFP in January 2012 by coworkers. I got very excited and I still am. It's all I seemed to talk about at home and at work. Then last month I decide not to mention it at home, to friends and also cut back my use of MFP at work on graveyard albeit on it tonight. Lol. Anyway something exciting happened on Monday. My wife sent me a text while I was working asking me if I would mind training her in the evenings when she got home from work. I almost fell out of my chair. I quickly replied of course and we hit the gym later that evening. I realized that as I gave her more attention, cut down my use of the computer and limited my fitness/food conversations that she really was listening along but maybe felt like she was competing with cyberspace/fitness/mfp friends. She never really complained just lacked interest. Now we are working out together three times a week. How cool is that?
  • droberts3311
    Options
    I am not as dedicated as you, but I hear the same thing. I love to read and watch shows about weight loss. It is how I learn and stay motivated. I have about 10-15 more to lose and it is not coming off without a fight! When I do eat something that is not good like the other night I had ice cream and cake @ a party. Everyone made a huge deal of of it, asking are you sick? You never eat that stuff! My husband will say it's not going to hurt you, have some. But most of the time I don't eat like that because it makes me feel so bad after the fact.
    Maybe he don't want you to get any thinner or is afraid of losing you. Good luck, you are not alone.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Luckily, both me and my boyfriend are mildly obsessed with working out. He loves lifting and I love cycling. It did not reciprocate... We've actually been able to mesh the two together. He bought a bike and is out riding with me and some groups (definitely a work in progress), and I've done Starting Strength and am in Stage 1 of NROLFW -it's been a learning process for me too. I didn't want to get bulky :huh: For your husband's sanity, I can squat more than my body weight and bench over 75% of my body weight. Not a body builder by any means, but for a woman new to lifting, I'd say it's pretty good. I'm not even close to bulky. Maybe your husband if afraid you won't have time for him and your daughter. Maybe there is a bit of jealousy there? It's hard to tell. I guess the main point of all of this is, can you find something to share with him that he is equally passionate about that you guys can do together? Maybe something he has to teach you so he can feel empowered and in his element? I think it's worth a shot to talk to him about it -as long as you can get through it without fighting about it. Good luck! Be sensitive to his feelings, but stay true to you at the same time. Ugh. There's that whole "balance" thing again! :smile:
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    My husband has seen me start dieting and give up. This time around he actually started a betting pool at work as to how long I would last. I am between 165-170 days at this point. He lost the bet months ago. Like you, I am excited about it and still come home after a workout and tell him how many calories I burned, how long my HR was in the zone, how I felt, whatever...I used to think he would get excited with me since he is so fit and has been nagging me to lose weight for years. No, he just tells me everything I am doing wrong. Asks me if I can talk about anything else. Yesterday, I went for a run and when I got home I didn't say anything about it. I put my HRM away, refilled my water bottle and talked to the kids. He actually looked up from his game and asked me about it. I was surprised, but answered.

My advice is if you can, set it up yourself. I have found the less I involve my husband, the less I am discouraged. I get my encouragement from my friends here.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Clean out the basement. Those toys could be donated as i'm sure many things could be. I too have a husband who thinks i'm obsessed but because he is active duty military and he reaps the benefits too he doesn't complain much anymore. When he does i tone it back but if you want something done sometimes you just have to do it yourself. So just get a friend to help you and get things done. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I don't really see you as really obsessive. When you get really into health and fitness it becomes a pretty huge and important part of your life. I see nothing negative about that, especially if you are doing it in a healthy manner.

Maybe try getting your husband to workout with you sometimes. Or maybe ask him to just go on a simple walk with you and talk about how his day has been or talk about a dream vacation you'd like to go on someday.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Tone back your crazy for a week or two. Go have something unhealthy and delicious from a restaurant. When your P90x is a few days from finishing, just casually mention it and ask him for a hand getting the bench set up.

I think this is what I'll do IF it turns out I need the weight bench to do the New Rules routine. I don't know. THAT'S why I wanted the weight bench. I definitely need more weights.

As to space in the basement, I do have a little workout corner. I have my TV hanging on the wall in front of my elliptical. I have some kettlebells, and a set of 2lbs, 5lbs, and 10lbs. I also have my floor mats. I use the TV for my DVDs, and I use the TV sometimes if I hop on my elliptical. So it's not like I have NO space down there.

It's that his things take up MORE space than mine. Even our daughter's stuff - which we really, truly have to sort through and give some of it away - is tucked into a giant walk-in closet, book-shelves, drawers and two toy chests. Her stuff doesn't take up too much room either, even though there is an overabundance of it.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like someone else suggested - set it up yourself.

I am lucky enough to have my husband's support. I wake up at 3 am on gym days - which means I have to go to bed BY 8 at the very latest the night before. He could grumble and get angry about it, but he doesn't. Instead he will settle himself in bed, and goof on the computer or watch tv until he's ready to sleep.

I've never struggled with an ED before though. Maybe that is your husband's concern? That you are TOO into being healthy, and you could take it overboard, which could lead to it being unhealthy?

Have you actually sat down with him and explained WHY this is important to you?

I was extremely unhealthy at one point in my life, and I am no where close to my goal.... but I never ever want to go back to where I was - and if it takes me the rest of my life to reach my goal I will keep doing this because if I stop, I will just become the person I once was and I really don't want that. My husband gets that.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh and NROWL4W is an amazing program! I just finished the 2nd stage. Lifting weights makes me feel good about myself, it is seriously a confidence booster to see just what my body can do!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Maybe try getting your husband to workout with you sometimes. Or maybe ask him to just go on a simple walk with you and talk about how his day has been or talk about a dream vacation you'd like to go on someday.

This is a joke. It's a good idea for most people, but not my husband. LOL. My husband is not one to spend his time working out. Besides...he's still a smoker. He is in good shape because of his job, but he doesn't and won't workout.

He hates riding bicycles. The only sort of thing I can get him to do is hike, and the last time we did that, he was discouraged by my energy and his lack thereof. It's due mostly, I'm sure, to his years and years of smoking.

*sigh*
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cordianet.....sorry (above), relationships don't demand!!! You do feel good and get excited when working out because you feel better and it is true your partner may not understand. 2 hours a day plus weights everyday? Too much on the body, your body needs time to recuperate! P90X/Insanity is intense! You should probably join a gym to get some variety on machines and free weights and classes as well like pilates/yoga/aqua/zumba etc. Then you solve the problem of not taking up any room, and your husband not knowing what you are doing if it really comes to that. But you should try talking to your family first and involving them in a sport that you all like. Though all kids need to be fit, your daughter might not like Shaun T, she might prefer volleyball or swimming, or she may not share your excitement equally. They do get PE at school and have a long day with homework, etc.