Processed Foods

Options
12345679»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    What's really wrong with them? People have been eating them for decades. I understand that the salt content may be high, but i you drink enough water, shouldn't it be ok? What happens if you have a busy lifestyle, and all you can grab are the processed frozen dinners / snacks? Just confused.

it's true that people have been eating them for decades, but that's like a moment in comparison to all of humankind. there's nothing inherently wrong with having a processed thing now and again; hell, i even process a fair amount of our food, like my great grandmother would have.

the problem is the commercialization / cheap work-arounds / additives for shelf-stabilization. i want living food, so i don't eat processed food because it's not only dead, it's prevented from decaying.
  • kayemme
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating processed food. I am currently seeing a nutrionist and had the same question. She told me a calorie is a calorie no matter where you get it from. Many foods that we think are "healty" foods are processed, such as morningstar (vegetarian foods) meals. As long as you are taking in the appropriate amount of calories and exercising you should not fear processed foods! Hope this helps you out!

Stacy

there's nothing wrong with eating them occasionally; and yes, a calorie is a calorie, but a shelf-stabilizer is not a nutrient.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give you is get some proper books about nutrition and learn.
  • kayemme
    Options
    my rule of thumb is just so simple that i learned it when i was five: "you are what you eat."
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie etc etc but these are calories often laden down with gross crap that makes you feel like gross crap. In my case the added chemicals frequently trigger migraines.

I suggest trying to cut out/significantly lower processed foods for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference in how you feel overall. Do whatever works for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    And here's another thing -- the FDA establishes a "safe" limit on these chemicals, but there's no mechanism to account for the cumulative effect of getting the maximum dose in 12 different products a day.

The FDA also establishes a "safe" limit on insect parts and rodent droppings.....doesn't mean we should eat them.

Just sayin'........
    If you only knew what you breathed...................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sadly, we can't control that. But we can control what we eat.
    Well apparently not because of the rising level of obese/overweight people. When I went down to Missouri to visit my cousin, I noticed that people there didn't eat a lot of processed foods. But there were a lot of HIGH CALORIE foods that were homemade.
    Like I mentioned in previous posts, indulging in a little processed foods per day (as long as your macro/micro nutrients are met and you stay within calorie range) isn't going to be an issue if you're smart about it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    my rule of thumb is just so simple that i learned it when i was five: "you are what you eat."
    I so wanna say something "sexual" here.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Take a look at the list of ingredients from the strawberry flavoring of a milkshake served at your average fast-food restaurant:

Amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate, benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamylvalerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyl lactate, ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl Nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerbate, heliotropin, hydroxphrenyl-2butanone(10% solution to alcohol), a-ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butrate, lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbone, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl slicylate, mint essential oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobulyrate, orris butter, phenethyl alcohol, sore rum ether, g-undecalctone, vanillin, and solvent

There are over 6,000 different chemicals used to process, preserves, color these types of foods. Want that in your body? I say if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it!!
  • kayemme
    Options
    I so wanna say something "sexual" here.

makes you think about all those a-holes in the world...