Why nothing makes sense. Ever. And it never will.

Options
124»

Replies

• 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Uhhhmmm This post makes me feel poetic...lol

On a weight loss journey :

You will here this and that
    What made some fat

What worked for me is the only way
    Thats what most of them will say

The scale will taunt and haunt you most
    It can make you weak or make you boast

Low carbs no carbs
    what shall I eat

Clean foods green foods
    but never a treat

Do this do that
    and the other

So many OPINIONS
    I CANT TAKE ANOTHER !!!!!!!!

Im ranting a raving
    ohhh what shall I do ?

Keep searching for the thing THAT WORKS FOR YOU !!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    -Cardio will melt the pounds off.
    -Cardio burns muscle, not fat, and you will remain fat and weak.
    -Cardio made me gain 40 pounds and created thyroid problems.
    -Cardio took me from a size 10203 to a size 2 in one year.
    -You have to do weight training, or you won't be burning fat.
    -Weight training only builds muscle; it does not burn fat.
    -You must do both, or you won't go anywhere.

Really? Cardio isn't good for weight loss? When was the last time you people saw a FAT marathon runner? Reminds me of the arguement I had with my trainer last week about me being overweight & my fat percentage... HE said I had to lift weights 1hour a day 3days a week to lose weight, & "Cardio will never get [me] where want to be"...

Jerk. Really... Did you SEE the News coverage of the last Boston Marathon? Not a SINGLE fat chick among those runners....
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Made me laugh, thank you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Jerk. Really... Did you SEE the News coverage of the last Boston Marathon? Not a SINGLE fat chick among those runners....

Runners come in all sizes and shapes. You're right that they will be on average more fit than the general population, but if you actually go to a big race you'll be surprised I think. They only generally show the elite runners on TV, and you're right, there's no obese elite runners.Boston you have to qualify for, so I'm sure it has more fit people than a run anyone can sign up for. But when you get in to the groups that are hours longer than the elite runners finish, there's plenty of runners with pounds to lose.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mmm - the ever allusive truth. Why is it so hard to find? I guess with all things in life you learn through your own experiences of what works & what doesn't BUT when you're desperate to lose weight you don't want to put on 50kg while you're experimenting!!! Generally my journey (I've been overweight pretty much my whole life) has taught me that eating lots of greens, a bit of fruit, a bit of protein & a small amount of carbs & good fats like cold olive oil & avocado are very good for weight loss - but I find this diet VERY hard to stick to ongoing!! I have also found that I can eat a bit more (low carb ice cream as a treat for example) & still lose weight by running everyday - great if I can do it but at the moment falls into the too hard basket!! At the moment, with the help of the food tracker here, I am losing weight with minimal exercise (unless you count chasing my kids around) - first time in my life I have stuck to calorie counting. Mind you very minimal starchy carbs so it's WHAT I am eating too, not just calories - ie, I'm not having just a Big Mac & fries & then eating nothing else all day (would that work? I don't know!!)

You're right, we're all full of advice - hope you find at least something on here that's helpful!! :)
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    So my suggestion is that we delete all forum threads and just leave the "success stories" and the "motivation" thread. (I kid, but. No. Wait. Seriously.)

Then what would I read in my spare time :wink: . Some of these forums give me a good laugh.

Great post and funny.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Misinformation happens. It's up to you as an individual to figure out what you are willing to believe. No one can force you to believe something, no matter how many scientific studies there are to back it up. Just pick out what you find useful on MFP and ignore the rest. It takes time, and as you stay here longer you will start to see who seems to know what they are talking about.

Edit: my first response wasn't constructive.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am a sexy beast.

this!!!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    They should sticky this thread
  • zenjenn
    zenjenn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this isn't just physics. It's physics, biochemistry, and psychology, all wrapped up into one confusing mess.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Uhhhmmm This post makes me feel poetic...lol

On a weight loss journey :

You will here this and that
    What made some fat

What worked for me is the only way
    Thats what most of them will say

The scale will taunt and haunt you most
    It can make you weak or make you boast

Low carbs no carbs
    what shall I eat

Clean foods green foods
    but never a treat

Do this do that
    and the other

So many OPINIONS
    I CANT TAKE ANOTHER !!!!!!!!

Im ranting a raving
    ohhh what shall I do ?

Keep searching for the thing THAT WORKS FOR YOU !!

LOL! I love this! :drinker:

I also love the OP...so very true. When I first started out I was so confused with all the different information I didn't know which way to go. So far I'm a eat more girl cause it's working for ME.

Thanks for all the scarcasm and the giggles this am...just what I needed! :tongue:
  • debbert
    debbert Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is so much conflicting information out there that people are just plain confused. I blame the media and limited interpretation of studies ect.. I like to read Lyle McDonnald's blog which made me realized most studies are taken out of context and info is slanted and most information is incorrect.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You speak the truth OP :drinker:
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Too many experts here.

I'm right though!
    ^^ this! LOL
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    We're not really different at all. Ultimately, it boils down to simple 'calories in/calories out'-- for everyone*.

The problem is that people almost always underestimate the amount of calories they're eating, and overestimate the amount of calories they spend working out.

*Excepting those rare individuals with certain hormone issues or drug prescriptions, of course.