Why wear glasses and not contacts?

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
I've had vision problems since second grade; when I got my first pair of big rounded glasses. (I'm nearsighted). I wore glasses for 6 years. When I was going into high school, I finally got contact lenses. Now when I wear glasses for more than just a few hours at night, I can't stand them. My peripheral vision doesn't exist, I always have to push them up my nose, they are uncomfortable on my ears and give me a headache, I have to wipe the lenses all the time, etc. With contact lenses, there is so much freedom and you can't even feel them.

So, if you wear glasses why do you prefer/wear them? Do you like the way they look? Can you not afford contacts, or do you hate the way they feel? Why not contacts instead?

Replies

• ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    I love my glasses! They are super cute and add a lot to my general look. I love contacts too, but I suffer from allergies and usually wind up removing my contacts and wearing my glasses instead.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am VERY farsighted, and since it's a less common issue, there aren't a lot of options out there for farsighted people. At least there really weren't until recently. i wore glasses until I was 19 because I had the option of super thick, heavy glasses, or hard gas-permiable contacts. The hard lenses hurt like a ***** so I therefore wore my glasses.

Recently, they came out with toric lenses, which are HUGE and weighted, but they're soft. I only just fit in the prescription range. But, yes, I do now prefer my contacts.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I wear both...sometimes I'm just too lazy to bother putting my contacts in and when I read I prefer my glasses. But my glasses never bother me like they seem to bother you. If I am going out or exercising I'll usually put my contacts in. But it's not really a big deal either way to me. :glasses: :drinker:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I was in pretty much the same situation, getting contacts for the first time at around age 13. I went back and forth for years, with my preference changing for no apparent reason. I'd wear the glasses for a few months, then switch back to the contacts, etc.

About 4-5 years ago I got laser corrective surgery, and don't have to put up with either of them anymore. :laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I just got contacts a year ago (at age 21). I never got them in high school because 1) I was scared to put something in my eye. 2) I never knew how to ask my parents, as it is a big expense. Once I got enough money to pay for mine alone, I went and got them and faced my fear and also wanted to help complete my "makeover" a little more. Now I love them.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I used to prefer my contacts, but when I am no longer massively active (even when I start jogging I won't change) I find glasses are just so much easier. Especially as I have the transitions lenses so I don't have to worry about sun glasses.
    Plus I hate having to wake up enough to be able to put my contacts in before work.
    I generally use my contacts now for things where glasses aren't the most suitable, horse riding, active sport, theme parks etc.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I was in pretty much the same situation, getting contacts for the first time at around age 13. I went back and forth for years, with my preference changing for no apparent reason. I'd wear the glasses for a few months, then switch back to the contacts, etc.

About 4-5 years ago I got laser corrective surgery, and don't have to put up with either of them anymore. :laugh:

I want to get laser corrective surgery eventually, way too broke as a college student though. Once I graduate and make some money, I'll definitely get it done
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I am deathly afraid of touching my eye and also afraid it would go back into my eye and I would find it one day when I blew my nose.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I wear both. I picked some frames i REALLY like this time.they came with magnetic shades that match.perfect for the pool since i cant stand wearing my contacts there.

glasses.jpg
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I am deathly afraid of touching my eye and also afraid it would go back into my eye and I would find it one day when I blew my nose.

Lol!! My aunt once tried my dad's contacts back when they were all hard lenses and it was stuck in her eye for a few hours.
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have both, but wear my glasses about 95% of the time. I have a years worth of contacts that will last, at the least, double that. My eyes don't close all the way when I blink, so my contacts dry out fast. It get very uncomfortable and gives me a headache if they're worn long. If I work with contacts, I have to take an extra pair and switch in the middle of my shift. The optometrist said I should make a conscience effort to blink correctly, but when we all blink as much as we do, well...just try that for a day, be aware of when you're blinking and conscientiously blink. Lol, I don't think anyone would do that for long.
    So there's my reason. It's medical, kind of.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I can't put contacts in. I don't *feel* like I'm afraid of touching my eye, but my eye clamps shut like an iron trap when I get near it. I tried to get them a few years ago, and the eye doctor was trying to put one into my eye to see if I'd like it. At one point his assistant was holding my eye open with both hands, and when he came at me with the contact, I still managed to get it shut. So I gave up. Luckily, I like the way I look in glasses. But it would be nice not to have to have prescription sunglasses. I'm always afraid I'm gonna lose them.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i got contacts at age 13.
    they were the kind you take out every night to clean. i was good about that.

once i got 2 weeks disposables, i stopped taking them out.. and just wore them for days/weeks straight.
    got too many eye infections, and now i just wear glasses.
    plus, glasses are free!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    For a long time astigmatism could only be corrected with hard lenses, which aren't the most comfortable things. When one gets to the age when reading glasses are needed with the contacts, and then middle distance (for computer, etc.) glasses are a lot easier.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used to wear contacts. I think I look like a naughty librarian in glasses! LOL! I feel I look smarter too! Lately I have been thinking about contacts because my glasses get in the way of Zumba, running and all of my new exercise habits.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've had vision problems since second grade; when I got my first pair of big rounded glasses. (I'm nearsighted). I wore glasses for 6 years. When I was going into high school, I finally got contact lenses. Now when I wear glasses for more than just a few hours at night, I can't stand them. My peripheral vision doesn't exist, I always have to push them up my nose, they are uncomfortable on my ears and give me a headache, I have to wipe the lenses all the time, etc. With contact lenses, there is so much freedom and you can't even feel them.

So, if you wear glasses why do you prefer/wear them? Do you like the way they look? Can you not afford contacts, or do you hate the way they feel? Why not contacts instead?

Coming from an optician/optometric assistant: yes, glasses and peripheral vision do not mix! :) as far as all the discomfort, it sounds like they just need to be adjusted! take them to your optician, or any optical, really. they would be happy to adjust them for you at no charge. Good luck! :smile:
  • CandaceyD
    CandaceyD Posts: 74
    Options
    I like the way my glasses look. And after wearing them for so many years i feel almost nae without them. I've never tried contacts since they only started making the ones for people with an astigmatism cheap a few years ago. I would only get some if i have a situation where my glasses would be a nuisance. Like if i go sky diving or something :P
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I couldn't put them in or get them out. And once I had a trial pair, walked by a construction site and got grit in my eye. Excruciating pain.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tried Contact lenses but I have VERY dry eyes :noway: so not a comfortable option for me since I have a hard time putting drops in my eyes. I love my transition glasses!!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Some reason unknown to me, I began having trouble with contacts this year after wearing them successfully for 20 years. They seem to wrinkle and dry out and scratch my eyes. Then, I can't see. Planning on putting money if my FSA account next year to get LASIK. I can't wait, because I hate, hate, hate glasses.