Why wear glasses and not contacts?

Options

Replies

• danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I went through the fitting and training to poke myself in the eye with my optometrist. I went through every soft contact brand they had and couldn't find one that would hang right to fix my astigmatism. apparently my eyes are shaped weird..... At first they thought I just needed to adjust to wearing them but I saw worse than with no glasses. I'm pretty blind at -7 so that says a lot!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wear both on an equal basis I feel.. If I'm working or going out and seeing people, I'm more likely to wear my contacts. If i'm just hanging around my home or having a lazy day, then I'll wear my glasses.

My father also wore his contacts way to much when he was my age, and it messed up his corneas. Now he's almost blind, and has no peripheral vision what so ever.. and since I pretty much got everything genetically from my dad, I'm taking no chances. I want my vision to be the best it can be for as long as I live.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I went through the fitting and training to poke myself in the eye with my optometrist. I went through every soft contact brand they had and couldn't find one that would hang right to fix my astigmatism. apparently my eyes are shaped weird..... At first they thought I just needed to adjust to wearing them but I saw worse than with no glasses. I'm pretty blind at -7 so that says a lot!

I gotcha beat. I'm -9 in contacts!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've had vision problems since second grade; when I got my first pair of big rounded glasses. (I'm nearsighted). I wore glasses for 6 years. When I was going into high school, I finally got contact lenses. Now when I wear glasses for more than just a few hours at night, I can't stand them. My peripheral vision doesn't exist, I always have to push them up my nose, they are uncomfortable on my ears and give me a headache, I have to wipe the lenses all the time, etc. With contact lenses, there is so much freedom and you can't even feel them.

So, if you wear glasses why do you prefer/wear them? Do you like the way they look? Can you not afford contacts, or do you hate the way they feel? Why not contacts instead?

I thankfully have perfect natural vision, but my best friend (before she had laser surgery to correct it) had vision so terrible that contacts didn't work for her. She had to wear glasses.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have 2 week disposables, but I take them out every night. I've had problems with uclers and infections in the past, so taking them and cleaning them nightly is well worth it.

When I wore 2 week disposables I was told you had to take them out nightly and clean them. (and got crap from my optometrist when I didn't)
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Because just the thought of putting something in my eyes, makes me want to rip them out......

I can't even use eye drops, so contacts are not getting anywhere near me!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I prefer how I look with my glasses on and find contacts uncomfortable and annoying. I'll wear them on holiday for things like snorkelling etc, but day to day I much prefer my frames.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am nearsighted, so I can see up close perfectly without correction. When I wear contacts to correct my nearsightedness, I cannot see up close. My job requires me to see very small things, so I can't wear contacts. If I did, I'd have to wear reading glasses anyway. I tried bifocal contacts and haaaaaated them.

Besides, I am not allowed to wear contacts in the lab.
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I am waiting until I can do a full body transformation before I get contacts. I can't really afford them, but soon I can. But I wanna reach my goal weight first, so I'm sorta like a brand new person LOL. I hate glasses though, especially with my daughter, she always wants to climb on me and stuff, they just don't work.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i used to wear contacts allllll the time until one night they put me in the hospotal with an eye infection so bad that the guy said if i waiting to come in i could have went blind... so yeah not worth it LOL
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my glasses. :heart: :glasses: I have contacts but rarely ever wear them. I have tons of designer glasses and for me they are a definite fashon accesory! When I wear my contacts most people tell me I just don't look like myself.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I only wear glasses for distance stuff, driving etc so not full time, but I think even if I did I wouldn't choose contacts. Here's why (in order of importance)

1) I HATE things in my eyes, the thought of putting one in freaks me out.
    2) Glasses are easier, and I'm lazy.
    3) I don't know how much lenses cost, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to afford them right now.
    4) There are some really nice frames out there.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough tear film to wear contacts all the time. They make my eyes very dry and sore. I could do drops, but I'd have to use them twice a day, every day, for the rest of my life and I am way too lazy for that. Plus, my glasses cover my anemic dark circles.

I do have some dailies, though, and I wear them on the odd occasion that the sun chooses to show itself, but not too often and I usually go through 30 pairs in a year.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Glasses are HOT! I really love a woman in square glasses! :love:
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I wear and love both, its just another option for getting ready in the morning, skirt or trousers... hair up or down.... lenses or glasses?
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am deathly afraid of touching my eye and also afraid it would go back into my eye and I would find it one day when I blew my nose.

Lol!! My aunt once tried my dad's contacts back when they were all hard lenses and it was stuck in her eye for a few hours.

I actually did lose my contact in my eye once...it was stuck to the back of my eyelid for 2 days. Not cool.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses to give my eyes a break from the contacts. My eyes dry out more often with contacts (even with the super expensive contacts) and I look like I was just smoking pot with the bloodshot eyes. So I go back and forth between glasses and contacts... next time I go see the eye doctor, I am going to renew my prescription for contacts.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've had vision problems since second grade; when I got my first pair of big rounded glasses. (I'm nearsighted). I wore glasses for 6 years. When I was going into high school, I finally got contact lenses. Now when I wear glasses for more than just a few hours at night, I can't stand them. My peripheral vision doesn't exist, I always have to push them up my nose, they are uncomfortable on my ears and give me a headache, I have to wipe the lenses all the time, etc. With contact lenses, there is so much freedom and you can't even feel them.

So, if you wear glasses why do you prefer/wear them? Do you like the way they look? Can you not afford contacts, or do you hate the way they feel? Why not contacts instead?

I've tried various contacts years ago, I liked them for sport (cricket and football goalkeeping) but they irritate my eyes otherwise, especially in an air-conditioned environment.

I really like my glasses, I think they suit me and I feel lost without them. I could afford contacts but choose not to wear them.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my glasses. :heart: :glasses: I have contacts but rarely ever wear them. I have tons of designer glasses and for me they are a definite fashon accesory! When I wear my contacts most people tell me I just don't look like myself.

Judging by your avatar they really suit you :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Because I work in a synthetic chemistry lab and we are not allowed to wear contacts due to the risk of getting something in your eye and fusing the contact to it irreversibly. I wear my contacts on the weekends.