Why wear glasses and not contacts?

Options

Replies

• garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I actually like both equally. There are pros and cons for each. But I developed an allergy to my contacts so now I'm stuck with glasses. That was 10 years ago, so I've considered going in for a contacts appointment to try them out again, even if it's just for special occasions, or when it really benefits me to have them.

I like glasses for work, though, since I visit construction sites a lot, and getting that sort of dust in contacts is painful and dangerous. And I like them for swimming or going anywhere my face might get wet, since getting water in my eyes with contacts in is really uncomfortable.

For the record, touching my eyes really squicks me out, and it took about a month before I could get both lenses in easily. After that, though, it was easy peasy.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather wear contacts, but I feel that having to constantly replace them and such would be a hassle. So I stick with my glasses.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I loved my contacts, but I was REALLY terrible about wearing them.

Like, I didn't take them out.

Finally, I didn't have an option - my doctor wouldn't prescribe contacts anymore because I was doing so much damage to my eyes, I was risking blindness or major damage. Six years later, I still have callouses on my cornea.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Within 2 seconds of putting one in my eye I yelled :get it out, get it out..... it is burning" My sister was the one helping me and pulled it out...

Took so long to get in and the thing was filthy too....
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I can't stick my finger in my eye. It's much easier to put on and remove glasses than contacts.
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've had vision problems since second grade; when I got my first pair of big rounded glasses. (I'm nearsighted). I wore glasses for 6 years. When I was going into high school, I finally got contact lenses. Now when I wear glasses for more than just a few hours at night, I can't stand them. My peripheral vision doesn't exist, I always have to push them up my nose, they are uncomfortable on my ears and give me a headache, I have to wipe the lenses all the time, etc. With contact lenses, there is so much freedom and you can't even feel them.

So, if you wear glasses why do you prefer/wear them? Do you like the way they look? Can you not afford contacts, or do you hate the way they feel? Why not contacts instead?

Coming from an optician/optometric assistant: yes, glasses and peripheral vision do not mix! :) as far as all the discomfort, it sounds like they just need to be adjusted! take them to your optician, or any optical, really. they would be happy to adjust them for you at no charge. Good luck! :smile:

I rarely wear my glasses for the same reason. I'm blind without my contacts in, so when I wear glasses I feel claustrophobic because I can only see directly in front of myself. It doesn't help that my vision is so horrible that I have to have tiny lenses to get the appropriate strength. I get nauseous wearing glasses. I take my contacts out on the way to bed and put them in the moment I wake up. -10.50 each eye.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have both but I prefer my glasses. Less hassle and I like the way I look in them.
  • I don't like how they feel.
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik surgery about 8 years ago. Still 20/15 Vision... lovin life! ;)
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I should wear glasses/contacts, but I lost my glasses. :frown: I like the feel and I don't need to were glasses all the time, just when reading.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    1) I don't feel like me without glasses on
    2) I tried the contact thing in my late teens, early 20's, I can't wear soft lenses because of my eyes and the semi-hard are just a hassle to maintain.
    3) I manage a chemical lab and for safety reasons, contacts cannot be worn in the lab (splash of chemical gets in eye and contacts could melt to eyeballs, not pleasant). so most of my day would be in glasses anyway.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    I have had glasses since I was 11. I tried contacts when I was in 10th grade, but they only lasted a day. I had too much trouble getting them in and out with my sunken in eye sockets, haha. I have toyed with Lasik, but I am paranoid of the surgery going wrong.

We already have a Deaf child, we do not need to add blindness to it.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have crazy allergies and am constantly rubbing my eyes. No way that's going to work with contacts. Plus my glasses are like a security blanket for me. I hate how i look without them.
  • MikaMica888
    Options
    I wear both my glasses and my contacts, depending on how I feel that day. Somedays, I feel like wearing my contacts, but only when I have time to put them in. I've only had them a little while so I am still learning how to put them in quickly. It started off taking me about 45 minutes and now I can do it in 15 so I've gotten better!

Other days, my eyes are sore, or I am too tired to hold my eye open to put them in. Also I do get lazy sometimes in which case I just put on my glasses and go. I don't mind how I look with my glasses on, but I prefer not wearing them. A lot of the time I wish I could just get a corrective surgery done so I wouldn't have to worry about either but that is not realistic for me.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I look cute in glasses and don't wanna stick my finger in my eye :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I prefer girls who wear glasses because they give her the option of looking a lot cuter and smarter too!

As posted previously in a thread: This is an excellent example! (Not saying she isn't a smart person. :P)

glasses.jpg
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't wear contact lenses because of eye drops that I have to take (for life). Even before the eye drops it would have been difficult to get contact lenses that could cope with my astigmatism and give me the same vision that glasses do. I wish I had the choice, but I don't.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I do both, but 75% of the time I have to wear my glasses because I have extreme dry eye syndrome. I only wear my contacts when I'm working out or going out and want to look cuter. :blushing:
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Had Lasik in 2002. Best investment of my life. Also got Punctal plugs put in during the surgery.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have both. I prefer wearing my glasses because I have dry eyes, and contacts, after a while, feel like someone threw sand in my eyeballs. And these are the ones specifically made for people with dry eyes. Additionally, I get better correction with my glasses (20/15) than I do with contacts (20/20), so it kind of feels weird when I pop them in on occasion.

I wish I could do lasik. I'm not a candidate.